Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:09 AM

26,063 posts, read 22,268,288 times

Advertisements

With the economy, we and others we know aren't sure whether to make "the move" now. At first we thought we would wait until the economy got better but now we are wondering if we should just take the hit on the real estate if it would sell with this new tax credit program and get somewhere else and not hold our breath waiting for the economy to improve. We have already decided that moving to our dream location, southern Arizona would have to wait until much later if/when the economy improves. Very unhappy with the city government and taxes in our area of the state, we are hoping to return to the Junction City/Fort Riley if the opportunity to this comes forth, hopefully sooner than later. Where we are right now, if one of the larger (means 200 employees) would close, our house would probably never sell. So, are there others out there trying to figure out which way to go? Seems like these days we find ourselves between the "devil and the deep blue sea". Whatever we do will be a gamble at this point so we think we are going for it if a job opens up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 PM

810 posts, read 3,312,505 times
If you land a new job in AZ, go ahead and move. That's what we plan on doing, hoping to land something in FL.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:42 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,154,931 times
I know we are moving back to my family home in florida and hope the economy gets better and then we all plan living together for a while untill things get better and we are better able to take care of ourselves plus my cousin has cancer and she wants us to take care of her home untill she parts this world for a better place and then we will have to make a decision about weather we stay or we sell the house and move away somewhere else . The economy is making it very hard on everyone except those folks in the white house who could care less .

Old 04-13-2009, 06:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,039,291 times
My wife and I have put the move to antoher part of the state on hold for now until we see how the economy works out. Where we are its fine and we own our home;so why buy another if it turns downward even if we can afford it.Inflation may make things alot tougher in the coming years.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,355,991 times
For us, we figured if we were going to make the move we were thinking about, now was the time to do it. Although we won't see raises next year, our jobs are secure. We are not upside down in our house and it went under contract in one day. The interest rates could hardly be better. Houses in the area we are moving to weren't affordable for us just a couple of years ago, but the cost to purchase has come way down.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 PM

449 posts, read 1,701,771 times
We were planning to move later this year to be in an area where we could afford to buy a home. We are reconsidering because of the economy - we have stable work and reasonable rent where we are now. House prices are high here for our budget. A job transfer is a possibility but my pay rate would likely decrease and rent would be higher. The way things are as a transfer employee, I might be more likely to get reduced hours or laid off with little opportunity to get hired somewhere else. We've moved quite a bit in the past and I know it can be rough getting established when the economy is good so I'm leary of risking what we have for what we "might" gain.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:26 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,907,230 times
I made a few changes to my plans about 14 months ago, partially because of the economy. Right now, I am focused on just riding out this year and hoping for the best next spring. Good economy or bad, we are moving next spring. We've put it off far too long.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:36 PM

293 posts, read 851,508 times
I am rethinking the move because of the economy, but possibly in the opposite direction: it's making me want to stay put and delay my relocation plans. We may not be doing well where we are now, but we do own a home and are not behind on the payments, and we do both have jobs even if they don't pay anywhere near enough. Other areas are still doing better than Michigan, but I'm hearing more reports every day of employment trends that have affected our state catching up with the rest of the nation (mass layoffs, longer periods of unemployment, significant underemployment). The idea of moving somewhere for a job, away from family support and the security that comes with familiarity, doesn't sound as good when the current economy makes it more possible that a new job elsewhere could disappear within a short time of moving. I haven't decided for sure to delay my relocation, but at least for the present moment I'm thinking it might be wise to wait a bit. Who knows how much worse the economy could get? I don't think it's hit bottom yet.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:20 PM

242 posts, read 790,169 times
My niece just moved in with me in ca she came from Dallas, texas where she kept getting laid off. In one week of moving here she has landed a job at the bank making a good salary. Hopefully she will not get laid off again.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:23 PM

374 posts, read 1,128,128 times
Despite the economy, we are moving anyway. For us, the economy being in a bad situation is not necessarily better for us. Because we live in a rural place with no roads in, everything comes by mail. In May, postal rates are going to go up enough that most items we buy are going to go up in price from $1.50 to $5.00!! That means that our already expensive $10.00 gallon of milk will now be more like $11.50!! For us, being here, feeling stuck, is not such a good thing. If things are going to get worse, I want to live somewhere that I can afford to buy food, and live in a place where the climate will support growing our own food or raising livestock. We live in a place completely dependent on oil for heat, transportation, and getting all our supplies in and out. I can't feel good about that. I would rather take a pay cut and have a better quality of life and be able to provide for my family by my own hands if I have to! Anyway, I think that making a decision to stay or go is so relative. For us, I have a marketable job, so I will be okay, but if I didn't, I don't think we would move. Either way, it's a risk for us. We could go and have a struggle, or we could stay and have a struggle. It's about calculated risks and figuring out how much you can afford to lose and if it is worth it for you. For us, it is. Good thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues