Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:52 PM

71 posts, read 510,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Not true; truckers must obey all federal, state AND local laws of the jusridictions they operate in. And state and local laws vary WIDELY. For example, I must follow all truck routes unless I'm delivering locally. Local regulations concerning engine brake usage, parking and MANY other issues affect truckers everywhere they drive.
What I meant to say more clearly is that 'truckers must obey the same federal laws in every state.' You are 100% correct that truckers have to obey state and local laws which may be different in each state, but I was specifically speaking to the laws that refer to weigh stations and trucker regulations regarding weight limits and hourly limits as that is our topic and those laws do not differ from state to state....they are the same in each state. I was speaking to those laws specifically when I said truckers have to obey the same laws in each state.

I didn't mean to be unclear. Thank you for catching my vagueness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlady71 View Post
hubby is a over the road trucker, meaning a full semi, and no....uhaul things do not have to stop....if you take notice of the "weight" part of the weight station signs, you will see, that you only stop if you are OVER the posted weight, which almost always excluded a typical uhaul type truck. he sees so many uhaul trucks, even camper trailers thinking they have to go in a weigh station it aint funny....they are wiegh stations for truckers to make sure they are not carring to much weight for the roads they travel, its a DOT(dept of transportation) requirement, etc.
we are retired military, and move alot still, always use a uhaul, you do not have to pull in, they will just laugh when you do an gives them something to talk about rest of the day....read the signs in regards to posted wieght, if your haulen very heavy and want to be sure...weigh your uhaul empty, and again when loaded, write down your final weight, and if you see a sign that says "anything over "x"amount of wieght and you are over that...then pull in"......other then that...your good to go. again...wieght stations are manily set up for truckers to be sure they are following DOT laws. bes of luck on your move...
The bolded part is not accurate. If the weigh station is open and you are a commerical driver driving a commerical truck, you must stop regardless of your weight. In fact, that is the purpose of such stations. To catch trucks illegally loaded. If you are overweight you either must unload a portion of your shipment on the spot or pay a heavy fine. If you were overweight and knew it, you more than likely would wait for the station to be closed, or go around it somehow. The weight would vary depending on how many axles you have as well...just an FYI.

At least thats what I think someone would do who was knowingly driving overweight. I think it is ridiculous to do such a thing as you put a lot of people in danger potentially.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:39 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
-------"if the weigh station is open and you are a commercial driver"------

??????????????

When I rented a u-haul I didn't need a commercial license .
Thus the --"commercial"--part of your post wouldn't apply.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
the DOT has enough to deal with-they aren't worried about families moving. Enough already!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
DreamWeavin's right, we've gone WAAAY past the OP's original question with un-needed information.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:11 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
I moved from new York to Arizona in a 16' Penske truck a year ago.

Rules for weigh stations depend on the state. In some states there are no weigh stations, in some states a 16' Penske isn't heavy enough, in some states we were told to bypass the scales and in some states we had to go through them.

So you need to check weigh station signs carefully and determine if you need to go through. If in doubt, go through the scales. It reall isn't much of a hassle.

The police often believe that rental trucks can be used for transporting contraband or illegal immigrants. Failure to go through scales when you are required to could lead to being stopped by the police and the truck searched. That is a lot more hassle than going through the weigh station.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:23 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
a 16 foot truck? Outside of Florida I would not stop. FL on I-95 will go after you. If you had one of those huge Penske's, with the international diesel, yeah.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
-------"if the weigh station is open and you are a commercial driver"------

??????????????

When I rented a u-haul I didn't need a commercial license .
Thus the --"commercial"--part of your post wouldn't apply.
That is my point....if you're not a commercial driver, you don't have to stop. You only need a commercial license for vehicles over a certain weight and a 16' truck doesn't apply.

I with Crew Chief and Dreamweavin though, I've had enough of this thread.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:45 PM

144 posts, read 390,921 times
I'm so sorry to al of those who've had enough of this thread already,but poeople are here to share experience and express views. So feel free to stop reading at this point if you don't want to know what two CHP officers said about the subject.

I have just arrived in San Diego after driving through three state Washington,Oregon,California in a 26' Penske truck. In Washington none of the weigh stations I passed where open,so I've no comment on that state.
Only one station was open in Oregon when I drove through the weigh in motion lane I got a bypass note on the screeen on the side of I5.

When i was coming through the agricultural check point as I entered California I was directed over to the side and they had me opn the back door for a routine inspection . I asked did I have to pull into the weigh stations and the lady said I need to pull into only the first station (Shasta) and would be given a document which would all me bypass all the other weigh stations in California. I thought this odd.

Anyway I pulled into the Shasta weigh station and after I was weighed I pulled over and went in to get this document. There were two highway patrol officers there and I enquired about this document the lady had mention. The officers said if your driving a truck, you MUST pull into the weight station unless signalled NOT to one the interstate. They said the fact that I was driving a Penske truck meant nothing. The fact that i hadn't a commercial license meant nothing. The LAW was that ALL trucks whether Yellow or any other color must enter.

Now this is my experience which I am happy to share with you all.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:56 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Why not do it the easy way? Just bypass the damn things and nobody will say boo to you.

I drove an OTR truck for more than 30 years, so if you'll come back and lay out the route you intend to take, I'll tell you how to get around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues