Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 22,826 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out. I am potentially driving a box truck from New York to Seattle. I'll be driving for-hire. My question is regarding DOT requirements of this kind of job.

I have been driving trucks in NYC for almost 9 years now, but it has always been basically in-city and freelance. Which is to say, I don't have a CDL (never was required) nor do I have a health certificate. Believe it or not, I have never had to go through a weigh station.

I figure if I do this Seattle job, I'll have to stop at weigh stations, as I'll be running as a commercial operator. Other than weighing the truck, what other issues arise at weigh stations? Do I need to look into getting a health certificate?

Basically, what can I expect when I pull into the weight station?

Also, if I have a partner, will he have requirements as well?

Thanks in advance for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 PM

521 posts, read 4,416,675 times
If you and your partner are operating a for-hire trucking company, you should already have applied for and obtained your U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) and federal motor carrier (MC#) numbers based on the type of intrastate or interstate operating authority you applied for.

If you do not have authority and the required insurance, not only will you be subject to both state and federal fines for every state you go through, but DOT safety compliance or state police officers could actually impound your truck and cargo on the basis that you're operating illegally and endangering other motorist.

Registration & Assistance: USDOT*Number/Operating*Authority - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Sounds to me like you need to rethink your business plan because this trip has the potential for costing your a whole lot more money that you could possibly hope to make.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:09 AM

Thank you for responding. Let me make clear, this is not a company! I work as a freelancer, and for other companies.

This would be one job.

I don't own a truck- do I need a DOT for a rental?

The company hiring me would rent the truck, not me. Since it sounds like you know, may I ask, do your reservations still hold about this job?

Old 03-31-2012, 01:46 PM

Since either you or your company are engaged in motor vehicle transportation in interstate commerce, both you, your co-driver and the equipment you are both operating MUST be licensed and approved by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Otherwise both you and your company can be fined and the truck impounded!

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Old 03-31-2012, 08:28 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,547,821 times
Is it a rental truck carrying the rental company logo, such as U-Haul?

Old 04-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Yes, it would be a rental truck, most likely Ryder or Penske.

Also, the cargo is property; I would basically be moving someone's sculptures for them, to their studio. It is not technically commerce.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:08 PM

If money is exchanging hands and you're crossing a state line, it's interstate commerce! The safety and compliance officers that stop you and ask for your paperwork won't ask how you interpret the phrase.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:57 PM

Ok, Rikki, you have answered my questions. I won't do it; I'm not trying to get anything by anyone!

Thank you for your insight!

Old 04-03-2012, 04:25 AM

Get your CDL! There are plenty of local and long distance trucking companies trying to hire right now. Last I heard there were over 100,000 jobs open in interstate transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues