Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:00 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times

Advertisements

I'm stuck somewhere I don't want to be. Does that count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesick71 View Post
We moved to Eastern Idaho I hate it here. My family is like 900 miles away I cant handle being away from my folks and not knowing anybody here. I cry all the time Wish there was away to be in 2 places at once cause I would go back. Going back isn't an option for my husband so I guess I am stuck. I have a son there that is getting married and don't know if I will be able to attend the wedding. This really sucks.
Oh I feel for you. Eastern Idaho really does suck. It's gloomy, doomy (if that's even a word, that definitely describes it ) my mom couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:32 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
Yeah, Dayton.

I actually moved here from northern California to be closer to family in Kentucky (Louisville specfically). I thought that Dayton would be sort of like Louisville...roughly in the same size range (though smaller).

Boy was I wrong!

This December I ..ahem...'celebrate' 25 years in this dreary burg. The place...well, to be fair, it could be worse. I've seen worse on my business travels. But it is not...even after 25 years...home. But 'm used to living here by now.

Fortunatly I'm only around about 2.5 hrs from Louisville, so that part of the plan worked out great! A side benefit is that Cincinnati is very close by so one has a lot of cultural and shopping amenties there.

Last edited by Dayton Sux; 10-30-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 11-01-2012, 06:15 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,790 times
I've lived in Maine for the past 15 years and so want to get out of here. I start getting sleepy and depressed every October because it starts getting dark so early and the long winter is coming. I don't start feeling good till May.
We have no relatives or close friends here, our kids live hundreds of miles away. My husband's retired, and we could afford to move anywhere, but he thinks this place is just fine, and a couple weeks ago said he doesn't ever see us selling this house and moving somewhere else.
He's too lazy to go through the hassle of checking out other places or buying a new house.

I lived in Arizona for a couple years and liked it. Sometimes I look online through the homes for sale listings in Arizona or New Mexico.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 PM

172 posts, read 251,911 times
You'll all think I'm nuts but I really don't like living in Colorado. Never have, ever since we moved here from IL when I was 15. And that was in 1976!

Keep trying to convince myself it's a wonderful place to live. And in a lot of ways it IS. But for some reason it has never felt like "home". Also, I really hate the dry climate. Moved to Seattle for a few years & LOVED it. It felt like HOME from day 1.

But my parents were getting old, my dad got cancer, & i moved back here to be near them. Now they've passed on & I feel stuck here in a place I really don't want to be.

Yeah I know I should quit whining....there are far worse places to be stuck . But I really do hope I'll get out of here again someday.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:15 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Yeah, Dayton.

I actually moved here from northern California to be closer to family in Kentucky (Louisville specfically). I thought that Dayton would be sort of like Louisville...roughly in the same size range (though smaller).

Boy was I wrong!

This December I ..ahem...'celebrate' 25 years in this dreary burg. The place...well, to be fair, it could be worse. I've seen worse on my business travels. But it is not...even after 25 years...home. But 'm used to living here by now.

Fortunatly I'm only around about 2.5 hrs from Louisville, so that part of the plan worked out great! A side benefit is that Cincinnati is very close by so one has a lot of cultural and shopping amenties there.
Yep Im in dreary Ohio Im leaving in april/may 2013 and glad to be doing so Im moving to south carolina to be closer to family ... and where there are not so many grey days and no snow and ice where i can slip and break my leg .. LOL ... I sure do know how you feel . take care and wish you luck .

Old 10-24-2013, 04:22 PM

72 posts, read 112,535 times
Basically good advice...but I'm sick of Italian lemonade...I'd like to make it in Florida instrad !!!

Old 10-25-2013, 01:25 AM

20 posts, read 29,402 times
Reviving somewhat of an older thread but this is good stuff folks!

Been in Mesa/Phoenix area most of my life…heading on 26 yrs old and desperately want a change of pace.

Like most others, I'm looking through the optimistic glass- it's not that bad. Long-term though, I don't think PHX a place I'd want to have a lifelong career in. I want a more urban life- Mesa is too far spread out (Arizona in general). A big part of where I move in my mind is dependent on a career-centered (involved in creative arts, retouching, photography, etc) move. A cool music/musician scene would be fantastic too.

Still stuck on the big cities for a potential move - NYC, Seattle, Portland, etc. Still planning a plane trip to a couple cities to see what else is out there in the world. I just can't do another summer here (try walking in 122 degree weather).

Old 10-25-2013, 06:46 AM

170 posts, read 473,678 times
Moved from Cali to Chicago area for 2, years and hated it. We really learned to appreciate Cali. Chi has very hi taxes, too much snow, weather terrible and traffic appears just as bad as s. Cal. Also what surprised us was everyone was shocked to hear we left Cali for Chicago. The all without exception thought we were crazy, and we were. When moving back everyone said they envied us. We learned our lesson. Despite what some post here everyone wishes they were here. That's why housing is so expensive. Supply and demand.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,400 times
Has spent the last 5 years living in rainy, cloudy Washington against my will. Finally my husband managed to get a transfer back to our home state of Colorado but he had to take a paycut to do it! I don't care - at least we will be back in a place where the sun shines an average of 340 days a year. And I love the snow in the winter, especially if we have some during the Christmas season.
We have been forced to live all over the country and all over the world because of my husband's jobs do it's true what they say....There is NO place like home!!!

Old 03-30-2015, 12:36 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
For me, San Diego.

It was a practical, professionally "wise" decision to come to SD. I don't much care for the SD area to begin with, however.

At least if I want to be reenergized in a real city, L.A. is about 100 miles away, and the Bay Area is a 1.25-1.5 hour flight away.

Hopefully, I'll be surprised by SD and take more of a liking to living there than I expect. I'm open minded, and at least it isn't the Midwest (though it kind of feels like it in a strange way). But time will tell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues