Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 11:55 AM

321 posts, read 920,638 times

Advertisements

I'm in the minority too - I've moved alot in my 43 years - a few times cross country and always used U-Haul, always had a good experience, always had a nice clean truck and the best price. I'm getting ready to move again from Mass to Missouri and using Uhaul again - Penske and the others are a lot more expensive. My company also has an account with Uhaul and we use them regularly with no problems and great pricing.

What's really funny is as soon as you cross the Mississippi the pricing on all the moving companies skyrockets! I'm leaving Mass, driving to Missouri (SE of KC) and returning the truck to St Louis because the price more than doubles if I return it in Missouri. Go figure?? Sure I'll pay around $80 for the extra miles and gas but that's better than doubling my cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 12:46 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
I'm in the minority too - I've moved alot in my 43 years - a few times cross country and always used U-Haul, always had a good experience, always had a nice clean truck and the best price. I'm getting ready to move again from Mass to Missouri and using Uhaul again - Penske and the others are a lot more expensive. My company also has an account with Uhaul and we use them regularly with no problems and great pricing.

What's really funny is as soon as you cross the Mississippi the pricing on all the moving companies skyrockets! I'm leaving Mass, driving to Missouri (SE of KC) and returning the truck to St Louis because the price more than doubles if I return it in Missouri. Go figure?? Sure I'll pay around $80 for the extra miles and gas but that's better than doubling my cost.
Glad your Uhaul experiences have been positive,WKTully! In all fairness, the people at the U Haul (company-owned) agency in Boise I dealt with were pretty decent. (It was the Manager I had issues with) And the folks that provided me with road service were also nice. But I stand by my observation that their equipment is usually older than other rental companies, very poorly maintained and service at independent dealers is a hit-or-miss (mostly miss...)affair.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:40 AM

186 posts, read 1,061,715 times
We are going with Penske. Never used them before but they seem good. One thing I loved is I was able to make reservations now and lock in the rate. We don't have a moving date yet so I just gave them an estimate and have to call in and let them know the date when I find out. I was able to rent a 26' & 22' truck for $200 each!!! That is very cheap compared to other quotes I got. They told me the rates would go up the closer we get to summer. I'm not sure it wasn't just a marketing ploy but it makes sense to me. We are hoping to move in June, just waiting for our house to sell.

Last edited by cjones15; 02-20-2008 at 10:59 AM..

Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,235 times
We are going with Penske too... primarily because of this thread. I just reserved a truck for one way from NY to NC this week... 26' plus a car dolly and furniture blankets, and it came out to $1600 with tax after all the discounts... web + AAA. We actually joined AAA right from the Penske order page in order to get the discount. We can pick it up on Wednesday morning at 8am, and have it until Sunday.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:55 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
My wife and I have made four long-distance, cross-country moves (in the Eastern half of the country) and we've used Budget one time and U-Haul (or, as I like to call them, Jack-A** Haul) three times.

We used Budget to for our first move and I don't remember having had a problem. We used U-Haul for our second move and got a great rate and a nice truck and didn't have a problem.

On our next (third) move we used U-Haul again and although we had placed a reservation, they didn't have a truck for us on our pickup day. (Big surprise.) That's just wonderful--my apartment had been rented out to a new tenant and we needed to be cleared out the next day and we didn't have a truck! Finally we were able to get one from a different U-Haul facility and if I remember properly, it was a decent truck, but it sucked getting back to our apartment and then having to spend the entire night packing it up and just barely finishing up in time.

For our fourth move we also went with U-Haul (very low rate) and this time we ended up with a clunker. Just our luck, it was unusually cold and we were moving in the middle of winter, and this truck had glow plugs and didn't want to start. We ended up having to call for maintenance and a guy came out and helped fix the truck. We didn't really have any problems after that.

We also used U-Haul for an in-town move once and we were given an ancient truck that was so rusty, the side mirrors would pop off the frame anytime you turned the corner (they were held on by a support on the top), but it did get the job done.

In summary, U-Haul normally has the lowest rates by a good margin in my experience, but there may or may not be a truck available for you on the date of your "reservation" and it's possible that you could get a clunker. For our next long distance move I'll definitely consider Penske even if it's more expensive.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:56 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times
Regarding the Penske AAA discount, is it necessary to have AAA insurance or can you merely be a member of the AAA auto club? Can you become a member of the AAA auto club without having AAA insurance? Perhaps a membership would be worthwhile in order to save on a Penske truck.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:54 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
You just need AAA membership, not the regular auto insurance by them. Yes you can get just a AAA club membership without having their insurance also. You can actually sign up for AAA club right on the Penske website when you are filling out the reservation.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 PM

502 posts, read 1,740,235 times
We just rented our Penske truck last week and will be picking it up on Wednesday. We signed up for AAA right on their website, and no insurance... just the club. It was a no brainer since it costs less than you save. And another kudo for Penske. In the process of siging up for AAA, my reservation timed out and I had to re-enter everything. Second time around I went fast and inadvertantly put in the wrong day... a week early. Last Wednesday I get a call at about 5pm from Penske asking if we are picking up our truck. I was surprised and worried that I had bought a truck and didn't mean too. After I explained, the guy said "no problem, it will be here for you next week". I was very happy.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:02 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
I just saw a teaser saying that tomorrow's (2/27/08) broadcast of "Inside Edition" will have a segment on the apparent dangers of UHaul trailers (not trucks).

I won't be home to watch it, but it might be worth a look-see if you're thinking of renting a trailer anytime soon .....

Old 02-26-2008, 11:04 PM

66 posts, read 247,011 times
I've had nothing but nightmares with UHaul. Never again!!!!!

Penske was really good for my move from Georgia to Colorado
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues