Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:59 PM

393 posts, read 1,737,930 times

Advertisements

Looking, looking, looking....and going in circles. Trying to research next, and hopefully final, move. Going over each state, pros and cons. Water problems in the west and SW. Drought in the SE. High property taxes on the coasts. Every time I think I'm closing in on a location to research further, I find something out that I think I can't live with. Don't know if I'm researching too much, or not enough. Feeling the strain, I think. Husband retired, I'm working hospital OB RN, so need a somewhat bigger city, but job shouldn't be a problem, and adult children waiting to see where we settle so they can relocate there after us. I feel like everyone is waiting for me to make this big decision......We moved here in Springfield, MO and none of us like it, so we don't want to make the same mistake again. On paper and in research this place looked great. Good economy, good schools, low unemployment, lots of growth, lots of relocatees coming here. Everyone seems to like it here but us. I think I just needed to vent......... Even if I get no responses, thanks for listening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 10:52 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,437,382 times
VEnt all you like, moving is a huge decision and it takes a while to get used to a new area especially if you're veen in your previous area for any length of time. Did you visit before you moved? It's good you researched before moving, that sure cant hurt so you know what to expect (although sometimes we overanalyze), would hang in and hopefully things will get better - unfortunately, there's no perfect place (easy to say, I know). Not sure how long you've been living where you are but would probably give it a bit more time, jmo.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,279,006 times
You could virtually get a job anywhere, now for your kids it may be different depending on what they do.

I think it's more of an emotional matter myself. I've been surprised in my travels of the places that have just felt 'right' to me. You need to look at more personal things that appeal to you other than statistics. What activites do you enjoy? What kind of people do you like to be around (or can't stand)? Is heat worse for you or flat terrain? Do you want to be in a place where religion is a primary part of life or where people tend to be more off the grid type folks? What size place do you want to deal with? Things of that nature.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:54 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,856 times
Hi,

It sounds like you've done a lot of research. If you were earlier in your search, I would recommend a couple of sites that I mentioned a couple of days ago. I'll mention them anyhow.

The first is Sperling's, which lets you enter criteria and then generates a list of matches; the second is ****.com (or is it findyoursite, or something else? I got it right the last time!). This second one is maybe less serious, the sort of thing that people pass around to see their "ideal" places.

Another trick I like to use when I need to make a decision ... I make a chart - I list all of the options (cities), and then select criteria and the weight I want to give to each. Then I go through the chart, add up the numbers, and see what comes out on top. You see, usually you will subjectively give higher numbers to the places you are really favoring in your heart.

Then, if you can, try to visit your final 2-3 choices. You may visit and walk away still not sure, or you may walk away with a big "yes" or a big "no". For me, one city I was favoring just turned out to be much larger than I had realized, like how did I miss that, I saw it on paper a hundred times!

good luck ...

Old 12-01-2007, 08:30 AM

305 posts, read 1,810,515 times
Sunshine Girl:

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm in the same quandry right now. And have been doing research for a few months.

Good luck, let us know where you end up deciding to move to!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:19 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,856 times
Two things ...

First, here is the Sperling's link:

Moderator cut: link removed

Second, the best advice I received (and I was in a different kind of situation, but I couldn't decide on where to go, had a long list of options, couldn't decide or establish a process for deciding), but someone said that ultimately I just needed to "pick a place" and go there. I mean, nobody wants to make a huge mistake, but there is some point at which you can decide that you have some good options and you just need to pick something and go for it.

Last edited by Yac; 12-04-2007 at 02:30 AM..

Old 12-01-2007, 10:50 AM

109 posts, read 452,321 times
I hear ya, and this isn't the first post about this...........lol. I have researched for about 5yrs now and visited most of the places twice. It is funny how after a second or third visit it seems soooooo different than the first. It takes time and patience, I really want this to be my last move also but who knows ha? After all this research......the Northwest, the Desert southwest, the EastSouth corridor along the coast, I think the important things have changed from the weather, the quaintness the proximity to parks has gone out of the lead to "how long will my money last" I am single and in my 50's and although I still have to work, I want my little savings to last a long time....As you research priorities start to change. Now I am pretty much focused and VERY confused about KY, and TN.....I think OK is cheap but I grew up in tornadoes and saw my cousins house and the kids left homeless and in the hospital. So back to KY and TN. Both are so beautiful it is hard to decide. I love the western part, and I love the northeastern part as well as the east part. Now I am pretty much thinking the eastern part of TN.....Good Luck and God Bless

Old 12-01-2007, 01:01 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,288,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
Looking, looking, looking....and going in circles. Trying to research next, and hopefully final, move. Going over each state, pros and cons. Water problems in the west and SW. Drought in the SE. High property taxes on the coasts. Every time I think I'm closing in on a location to research further, I find something out that I think I can't live with. Don't know if I'm researching too much, or not enough. Feeling the strain, I think. Husband retired, I'm working hospital OB RN, so need a somewhat bigger city, but job shouldn't be a problem, and adult children waiting to see where we settle so they can relocate there after us. I feel like everyone is waiting for me to make this big decision......We moved here in Springfield, MO and none of us like it, so we don't want to make the same mistake again. On paper and in research this place looked great. Good economy, good schools, low unemployment, lots of growth, lots of relocatees coming here. Everyone seems to like it here but us. I think I just needed to vent......... Even if I get no responses, thanks for listening
Venting is a good thing!! sunshinegirl
But I assure you that you are not alone in your plight. the only reason that i'm where i am because of my grand daughter, I'm ready to "break camp" also.
I want to be near the water and the culture that i grew up in. But at the same time i'll be too far away from my little precious jewel who comes to spend a week with me every month and is only a hour1'/2 away, Sooooooooooo. What do i do??/ I don't know, i'm retired military so i can just about adapt anywhere that's not the problem, The problem is that i've lived almost everywhere and I have a head start on most when it comes to pros and cons in choosing a place; But it also makes it much more difficult.
My $.02 cents, It won't even buy ya the good penny candy anymore LOL
God Bless
p.s. keep us posted

Old 12-01-2007, 02:03 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,484,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Two things ...

First, here is the Sperling's link:

Moderator cut: link removed

Second, the best advice I received (and I was in a different kind of situation, but I couldn't decide on where to go, had a long list of options, couldn't decide or establish a process for deciding), but someone said that ultimately I just needed to "pick a place" and go there. I mean, nobody wants to make a huge mistake, but there is some point at which you can decide that you have some good options and you just need to pick something and go for it.
Quoted for truth.

I realized that no place is perfect- that every place is going to have something that I don't like. I just picked based on what a new city had to offer that I wanted the most, with the realization that I could always move again down the road. For me, it was good weather and an affordable rental/housing market. Are those things enough to keep me here? I don't know- I've only been here for 2 months. But if they're not, then when I move again I'll have a much better idea of what I need and do it all over again.

Last edited by Yac; 12-04-2007 at 02:29 AM..

Old 12-01-2007, 07:37 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,270,655 times
Hello SunshineGirl,

I am sorry that you are not happy where you are. My family and I moved to Dallas Texas 13 years ago from Chicago. We like it a lot here. The people are friendly, the cost of living is not bad, real estate is cheaper and lots of employment opportunities. The healthcare business here is doing very well. There are bonuses attached to almost every RN job. It is also a very diverse city. If you like the country, you can live outside the city with some land and animals, you can be in the suburbs or you can live downtown. That's what I like about this city.

Yes the it gets hot in the summer... but the homes are air conditioned, the stores are air conditioned, the work areas are too, and you enjoy that pool at lot more.

Schools are not bad... actually we have a couple of school districts that are in the top 10 in the country. Shopping is phenomenal and the variety of restaurants is superb.

We don't have a state income tax. However, the property tax rate is higher, it varies from city and county between 2.3 to 2.8. But it makes it all worth it.

If you decide to make a trip, I would love to show you around this great place...

Oh yes, we have the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Stars, the Rodeo, The Mavericks etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues