Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:37 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I feel your pain.

We live in a world of too many choices and too much information. We imagine that one choice will lead us on a better path to happiness than all the others, and thus, we get lost in a quagmire of decision making.

We overload our brains with information. We lose touch with our intuition, our creativity, which we usually depend on to guide us, and suddenly we go numb. The safest decision becomes no decision. Status quo.

In reality "best choice" is a figment of the imagination. There is no best choice. It's not the decision we make, but how we implement that decision that is most important. What we do with it.

Victor Frankl had some profound comments on fate and decision making in his book "Man's Search for Meaning," but I can't find the quote anywhere. I'll buy the book later and if I can pull anything out of it, I'll post it for you. It's a wonderful book, only about 100 pages long.

Greenie
Very wise thoughts here. I haven't realized this myself in my own searches. I find more and more we become so overwelmed with all the information out there. I personally do decide to not make a decision or "give up" if you will. My problem is I think too far ahead and forget that decisions that need to be made now haven't even been made yet, so I shouldn't thinking so far ahead. It's a bit frustrating.

It's not the goal that's truly important, it's the journey and how you get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 08:40 AM

393 posts, read 1,736,054 times
Understand the sentiments re: too much information can paralize the brain, etc. but cliche's can be traded all day long - forewarned is forearmed - . But agree with the concept of trusting in one's intuition. That's why I feel compelled to visit all the places that seem like would fit our personal lifestyle before committing. I'm not looking for the highest salary I can command, I'm looking for an area that is complimentary to our life. Now that I've lived in both good for us and not so good for us, I know that there is a difference. I should not have to consciously think every day to enjoy each day like it's my last, and that's what I do here. That's why I know we have to leave here, and search for our own best place. I also cherish and do not take for granted the freedom to do that.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:32 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
sunshine girl wrote:
Where to relocate, I'm going crazy!!!
In addition to all of the usual criteria for evaluating a place to live, I made sure to have a relocation astrology chart drawn up for each location I was seriously interested in. Relocation astrology can provide information that you just can't get any other way. No sense moving to a place that doesn't have good vibes. I've known waaaay too many people who have made moves that they regretted making. Why not use every tool at your disposal, even if it seems a bit outlandish. Relocation astrology could save you lots, of time, money, energy, and regret.

Please read this thread I started back in May regarding my recent move ( Happy Campers in Grand Junction! ).

blessings...Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-06-2007 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-06-2007, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,567 times
Have you thought about the Piedmont Triad of NC?

Old 12-06-2007, 08:08 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Hello SunshineGirl,

I am sorry that you are not happy where you are. My family and I moved to Dallas Texas 13 years ago from Chicago. We like it a lot here. The people are friendly, the cost of living is not bad, real estate is cheaper and lots of employment opportunities. The healthcare business here is doing very well. There are bonuses attached to almost every RN job. It is also a very diverse city. If you like the country, you can live outside the city with some land and animals, you can be in the suburbs or you can live downtown. That's what I like about this city.

Yes the it gets hot in the summer... but the homes are air conditioned, the stores are air conditioned, the work areas are too, and you enjoy that pool at lot more.

Schools are not bad... actually we have a couple of school districts that are in the top 10 in the country. Shopping is phenomenal and the variety of restaurants is superb.

We don't have a state income tax. However, the property tax rate is higher, it varies from city and county between 2.3 to 2.8. But it makes it all worth it.

If you decide to make a trip, I would love to show you around this great place...

Oh yes, we have the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Stars, the Rodeo, The Mavericks etc...
I would avoid living in Dallas like the plaque. There's is just too far much traffic congestion. I know because I've been caught in it before. If you want less traffic congestion then Oklahoma City is the place to get away from it.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:22 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,054 times
thanks for the suggestions, but we are currently "interviewing" Nashville, Tallahassee, Murfreesboro, Huntsville, and Knoxville. Kind listed in current order of preference right now, though the lineup changes from time to time! Would have a bigger lineup if I did not have to work for 10 more years or so. Need to be near hospital that does at least 2000 deliveries or so annually and/or an NICU to stay in my field of nursing. It's hard to get into smaller community hospitals because the nurses tend not to leave the specialty areas. Trying not to let the job be the only deciding factor, we really do want to find a place to "nest".

Old 12-09-2007, 07:34 PM

295 posts, read 1,449,923 times
Nurses are in huge demand almost everywhere, so you could live almost anywhere...

Since Tallahassee is #2 on your list, check out a couple of posts I put on this site for Tallahassee (search by user name = gumbyfly). Tallahassee Memorial Hospital is pretty large, and there are numerous other employment opportunities in the city for nurses as well.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:04 AM

289 posts, read 1,138,433 times
I'll second the Dallas/Plano area. I just moved from Austin to Plano (originally from San Diego) and really like it here. Plano is 20 minutes from Dallas and has tons of every kind of store. It's a great community and you are close to everything. People are friendly and nice - I haven't noticed any snootiness at all. Great medical care. The prices for houses are about the same as Springfield. We tried Austin for a couple years but in the end it was too small town for us. The Dallas/Plano area has something for everyone...charming small towns, the big city, large suburbs. And it's near enough for you to visit over a weekend and see what you think.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:59 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
Sunshinegirl...are you only looking at places in the south and mid-west? I was going to recommend Massachusetts not only for great choices in hospitals but very friendly outgoing people that do their best to make you feel at home and welcome. Tons of outdoor activities for both winter and summer, highly educated population, still affordable housing, and truly spectacular scenery. We are originally from California and moved here to Concord,Ma. last month. Can't imagine ever moving back. Talk about living like gypsies...my family and I have lived in a different city for the past six years and this is the only place that felt like it could be "home". Going back to live in California didn't even feel like home. Hopefully you have made some kind of a list of what is most important to you and try and match it up somewhere. Have you tried ****.com?

Old 12-12-2007, 02:26 PM

43 posts, read 160,489 times
Hey sunshine girl..

Thank you for starting this thread. Until you and the others that have responded I thought I was the only one who had this predicatment! It has been great reading the posts.

Moving is a daunting task even in the best of circumstances. Sometimes I wish there was someone out there that would just TELL me what to do. I am considering making a move myself. I want certain things - I don't want certain things. I put so much pressure on myself because I want the move to be the right one for sure and not temporary that I get stuck. If it were truly as simply as a checklist...

Keep your chin up and good luck with your search and your eventual choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues