Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:04 PM

382 posts, read 1,922,066 times

Advertisements

Hello!
This is the ad I have placed. I received an offer for $75 - 2 experienced guys for maximum of 1.5 hours. Is this good? Or I can find cheaper? Thanks!

Hello!

I am looking for 2 guys to help us move from one apartment to another. Both units are on the 3rd floor (no elevator). I would just need some help with heavy sofa, and few more furniture pieces.. This should not take long - maybe 1-2 hours. The place I am moving to is located 0.2 miles away! I will have the truck ready..

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 02:41 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessit771 View Post
I received an offer for $75 - 2 experienced guys for maximum of 1.5 hours.
Is this good? Or I can find cheaper?
These are not movers... they are laborers.
With supervision and care it should be fine but the burden is on YOU.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:11 PM

521 posts, read 4,414,294 times
Do they have workman's comp insurance? If not, do you?

You should never, never, NEVER shop for movers based on the lowest price. You just might get what you're willing to pay for.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:36 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
I see a lot of those ads. It's pretty cheap and easy to deal with.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Call Two Men and a Truck or some other local movers that specialize in doing small local moves.

If a guy moving a sofa falls and injures himself on your property you could very well be liable for his medical expenses.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:13 PM

235 posts, read 536,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Call Two Men and a Truck or some other local movers that specialize in doing small local moves.

If a guy moving a sofa falls and injures himself on your property you could very well be liable for his medical expenses.
I heard two men & a truck is outrageous by some coworkers who've used them. I haven't been able to find out-- since my move is over 40 miles (it's about 60) they want to charge me by mileage and weight. To give an estimate they either have to come out, or I have to provide an itemized list. Sounds like enough work that I will stick with renting a Uhaul and calling friends.

Oh, and the uhaul quote is $122 for truck to fit a two bedroom house...allegedly comes with a month of free storage.

Last edited by notdeconcentrate; 08-22-2012 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: added

Old 08-22-2012, 04:17 PM

74 posts, read 150,268 times
I had Two men and a truck before and they were terrible but I'm sure they are like any other franchise, it depends on who owns the place as to how good they are. I would personally look for someone else though and don't hire just anyone off the street since you are liable for any injuries that may occur on your property if they are not bonded and insured.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:17 PM

Michigan is one of the states that regulates movers.
State Regulations for Household Goods or Common Carrier Property Motor Carriers | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place

A local move, defined as: a household goods shipment of 40 miles or less, is not subject to tariff regulation by the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC). However, motor carriers conducting local moves of household goods must comply with authority, safety, insurance, vehicle identification and other requirements imposed by the Michigan Motor Carrier Act and MPSC Motor Carrier Rules.

Normally, estimates from reputable full service movers are FREE! The cube sheet could tell you if your 'stuff' in your two-bedroom home will fit into a $122 rental. I tend to doubt it. How much does it cost for more than one trip?

MPSC - Household Goods

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/mpsc/mot...o_shippers.pdf

Old 08-22-2012, 06:07 PM

235 posts, read 536,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
Michigan is one of the states that regulates movers.
State Regulations for Household Goods or Common Carrier Property Motor Carriers | RELO Roundtable...a gathering place

A local move, defined as: a household goods shipment of 40 miles or less, is not subject to tariff regulation by the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC). However, motor carriers conducting local moves of household goods must comply with authority, safety, insurance, vehicle identification and other requirements imposed by the Michigan Motor Carrier Act and MPSC Motor Carrier Rules.

Normally, estimates from reputable full service movers are FREE! The cube sheet could tell you if your 'stuff' in your two-bedroom home will fit into a $122 rental. I tend to doubt it. How much does it cost for more than one trip?

MPSC - Household Goods

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/mpsc/mot...o_shippers.pdf
I have no intention of--no--I refuse to make more than one trip. I live 37 miles from the movers so I assumed they'd charge me for the estimate. The cube sheet estimate (good advice, btw) when I entered even things I don't plan to take (I am downsizing to a smaller place) says 870 cubic feet. The 17' uhaul can has 865 cubic feet. The estimated weight is over, but again there are things I don't plan to take. Not to mention, my Jeep can hold a few boxes with the seats folded down.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:21 PM

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-26-truck.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues