Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,253 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! first time posting here on the forum. I need your help and advice for a move I have coming up. I have some issues and was hoping someone can help me. I live in LA and will be moving up to Seattle. Move in date is this next weekend, August 17th.

I travel for work so away from home M-F. I returning to my home in LA tomorrow, Friday and will be finishing up packing this weekend. I took next Th and Fr off so that I can drive up to Seattle with a Saturday morning arrival.

I looked in to ABF services. They cannot pick up nor drop off on weekends. I cannot be in Seattle on Monday the 20th since I will be flying out. I am only there in Seattle on Sat and Sunday. They are giving me a quote for $1700.

I looked in to full service movers. Talked to 20 different companies. Moving cost ranges from $900-$2200. I am moving one queen bed, 2 skinny IKEA book cases, a toy chest, about 10 boxes full of kitchen stuff and clothes, a full length mirror. I am also driving my prius up. I can fit whatever I can fit in to my car. The problem with the full service movers is that they cannot guarantee a drop off date. If it comes during a weekday and i'm not available, nearly all of them will charge a redevliery fee.

I looked in to renting a penske truck and towing my car. I was able to get a 16ft truck, car carrier, 2 doz blankets, handtruck, LDW, Carrier insurance and taxes for $900. with 6 days and unlimited miles. I understand that these trucks get about 8 mpg. That will come down to another $500 for gas for the trip. I also understand that parts of this 1200 mile trip is going through the mountains in southern / central california and in oregon/washington state.

Is there an option that I am not thinking of? I need the flexibility with DIY but the cost is getting out of hand. I will need to drive up anyway but any other way to send up the furniture?

any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 12:16 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,337,167 times
Is there anything special about your bed? Rent the smallest truck. Get a new bed when you get there.
OR
Have ABF deliver on Thursday. Arrive in Seattle on Sunday.
OR
Find out how much it would cost to ship your stuff with UPS.

Do you know anyone in Seattle who can receive a delivery and empty the truck for you?

Atlas SmartMoves has small containers and store up to 28 days with no extra charge. Call them and see if they can help. You still might need to take a day off work to receive your things unless you have a friend to help you.

Have a friend go with you and drive the rental van/truck. Pay the friend's way home. There are flights for under $200.

A 16' truck is too big for your stuff. Get one long enough to put the bed in, if you're convinced you need the bed, and the rest of your stuff will fit. You don't need a handtruck or all those blankets. What would you even do with all those blankets?

Go through your stuff, and you will find things you don't really need to take. It may be cheaper to buy new kitchen stuff than to take it with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues