Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 03:19 PM

10,985 posts, read 6,852,461 times

Advertisements

Kathryn, did you look up the meaning? It's really cool! Why he would change it to turnipseed is a mystery. It means grapeseed. But it has an even better meaning...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 09:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Kathryn, did you look up the meaning? It's really cool! Why he would change it to turnipseed is a mystery. It means grapeseed. But it has an even better meaning...
Yes, I did look up the meaning! Oddly, it seems that a lot of people originally named Rebsamen changed their name to Turnipseed. I wonder why?

Actually this is pretty cool because one branch of my family has always maintained that they came from the Alsace-Lorraine region of France, which has been Germany off and on over the centuries.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:25 PM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
I found that so interesting I looked it up. Seems there is a "Rezzie Atimissy" and a "Rezzie Artimissie Lavender" and variations. Same person? At any rate, a very interesting name indeed.

Only interesting ancestor's name I can think of is a woman named "Hartie" who was part Northeastern Native American. I'd love to know more about her, but the ancestry.com trail went cold.
That is her Rezzie Artimssy Lavender. Interesting that you found her online. We are confused about how Artimissy is spelled, it is supposed to be the name of a flower. Artemisse, I think is the plant but I am not sure.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:42 PM

10,985 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Yes, I think it's artemisia - a plant used in herbal remedies and if processed a certain way is supposed to be hallucinogenic. It's also used in ground cover to transition from one color to another because of its grayish color.

I'm glad you mentioned that because when I read her name it didn't occur to me. At any rate, I like her name! Do you think the name Rezzie had anything to do with being on a reservation? She could have been a master gardener or an herbalist and Rezzie could be something to indicate where she was located. Probably not, but I thought of it anyway.

Old 06-16-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, I think it's artemisia - a plant used in herbal remedies and if processed a certain way is supposed to be hallucinogenic. It's also used in ground cover to transition from one color to another because of its grayish color.

I'm glad you mentioned that because when I read her name it didn't occur to me. At any rate, I like her name! Do you think the name Rezzie had anything to do with being on a reservation? She could have been a master gardener or an herbalist and Rezzie could be something to indicate where she was located. Probably not, but I thought of it anyway.
No, she was from Arkansas and maybe had native blood but denied it. Rezzie was what her mother named her. She had 3 sisters, one was named Lula and I forget the other two names, but I remember they were unusual. Her maiden name was Scott. She married one of the lavender twins who were named after presidents.

Old 06-19-2023, 05:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
My great grandmother named her kids some doozies:

Not in order:
Jewel (she was the oldest though)
Zeddie
Freddie
Joy (a guy)
Mavis
Brudge

Her name was Myrtie though and her husband's name was Clyde so they didn't have much to pull from - LOL.

Interestingly enough, my grandfather (Freddie - no middle name and that was his actual name, not a nickname) married a woman who was also named Myrtie - Myrtie Gladys. I told my kids, "Sorry, but we don't have a lot of great names to choose from." My grandmother, married to Freddie, called herself Gladys. Beats Myrtie, I guess.

At least my mom's mom was named Winona! Which I have always liked. She named her kids Linda, Grace, Donna, and Margaret and I like all those names as well. Several have been passed down.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My great grandmother named her kids some doozies:

Not in order:
Jewel (she was the oldest though)
Zeddie
Freddie
Joy (a guy)
Mavis
Brudge

Her name was Myrtie though and her husband's name was Clyde so they didn't have much to pull from - LOL.

Interestingly enough, my grandfather (Freddie - no middle name and that was his actual name, not a nickname) married a woman who was also named Myrtie - Myrtie Gladys. I told my kids, "Sorry, but we don't have a lot of great names to choose from." My grandmother, married to Freddie, called herself Gladys. Beats Myrtie, I guess.

At least my mom's mom was named Winona! Which I have always liked. She named her kids Linda, Grace, Donna, and Margaret and I like all those names as well. Several have been passed down.
I had a friend whose mother named her Buddy June. Everyone called her June.

My name is spelled like a common last name and my last name is a common first name that is not usually given to girls. I still get junk mail to "Mr. ...."

June used to get mail for "Mr. Buddy J. ...."

Old 06-22-2023, 07:43 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,637,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
I had a friend whose mother named her Buddy June. Everyone called her June.

My name is spelled like a common last name and my last name is a common first name that is not usually given to girls. I still get junk mail to "Mr. ...."

June used to get mail for "Mr. Buddy J. ...."
In colonial days it was very common for the first or Christian name of boys to be the surname of the mother, her maiden name.

In Goochland County, west of Richmond, the Tarleton and Flemming families settled and intermarried. I have ancestry there as well, when I was doing research there I came across so many Fleming Tarletons and Tarleton Flemings all in the same generation. Often a father Tarleton Fleming would name his son Tarleton Fleming with no Junior, II, III, etc. Most confusing.

During the Revolution British general Banastre Tarleton would become enraged when he found the Tarleton coat of arms in Tarleton or Fleming households. For some odd reason he'd take his sword and try to hack the staircase bannisters to pieces. Freak.

Some of the old farmhouses that still stand proudly display hack marks from the efforts of General Tarleton.

Last edited by RubyandPearl; 06-22-2023 at 07:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy