Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 06:59 PM

616 posts, read 341,026 times

Advertisements

Guess my maternal heritage: Lars, Olaf, Sven, Nils, Johan, Erik, Oskar, Gunnar, Hans, Bjorn, Leif, Jorgen, Lina, Elsa, Inga.
Any guesses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 07:29 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
Guess my maternal heritage: Lars, Olaf, Sven, Nils, Johan, Erik, Oskar, Gunnar, Hans, Bjorn, Leif, Jorgen, Lina, Elsa, Inga.
Any guesses?
Scandinavian?

Old 03-10-2023, 07:48 PM

708 posts, read 577,494 times
My grandmother went to school with a girl named Ophelia Legg....in the early 1900's. I always thought it was funny how tickled she got when she'd tell me that. :-)

Old 03-12-2023, 06:55 PM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I like having some fun when I compile a fact sheet.
Does anyone not remember the Judi Dench TV show 'as time goes by' ?
Below is the "Mrs Bale" I came across.
We had just put that series back in our queue to rewatch.

I don't have any names to post about, but I'm enjoying this thread.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:17 AM

12 posts, read 11,414 times
My Grandma name was Grandma Gertrude.......

Old 03-23-2023, 07:33 PM

204 posts, read 135,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My great, great grandfather was named Jesse James. This unusual name makes me wish i could have met my great, great, great grandparents! Who names their child after an outlaw? lol

Do any of your long ago relatives have interesting names?
Well, if my great-great-great-grandfather had been named Jesse James he would not have been named for the outlaw. All of my great-great-great-grandfathers were born before the notorious Jesse Woodson James of Missouri.

Old 04-06-2023, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 375 times
I just found an ancestor from the 1700s named Young Shelton. LOL

Old 04-07-2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
My grandmother went to school with a girl named Ophelia Legg....in the early 1900's. I always thought it was funny how tickled she got when she'd tell me that. :-)
Are you sure your grandmother wasn't pulling your legg? Maybe her Ophelia Legg was related to the famous Ophelia Pulse of folklore fame. Or the legendary Hogg sisters of Texas, Ima and Ura.

Old 04-07-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
Any guesses?
Swedish? Norwegian?

Old 04-08-2023, 11:44 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
I have a friend who came from Italy as a child after WW-II and the immigration agent did not change the family surname but did Americanize the kids' first names. He grew up with the name that he was given upon entry but is still a common Italian given name, just made a bit simpler than what it was. My guess is that the agent just off-handedly and unofficially told him what his name would be, and the family adopted it.

My wife's great grandfather was named Václav, which he changed to William on his final naturalization papers. The name is actually translated to Wenceslas but that was still too foreign sounding.

I have some distant old relatives with the surname Dumbell. It is actually an old name from England and has nothing to do with the modern dumbbell. My guess is that the name might have weighed heavily on them in more modern times. You don't see it much.

My own surname is a derived like a nickname, like adding "-ie" on the surname Brown for Brownie. Probably a pub name. Another shirttail relative was known as "Blackie", but the actual name was something like Haulk -- which doesn't relate to black. It is sort of a dit (called by) name as was used in French communities. My great uncles were part of an Irish street gang around 1900 and they all had names like "Snake" or "Bull" instead of their actual names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy