Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 11:03 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times

Advertisements

New York death index
Name: Francis Goveia
Birth Year: abt 1879
Death Date: 4 May 1924
Death Place: Manhattan, New York, USA
Certificate Number: 12594

New York marriage index
Name: Hermina Goveia
Marriage License Date: 31 Oct 1924
Marriage License Place: Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Spouse: Carlos J Fernandes
License Number: 31114

New York naturalization record
Name: Anthony Rupert Goveia
Petition Age: 24
Record Type: Petition
Birth Date: 13 Jun 1909
Birth Place: Georgetown British Guiana
Arrival date: 17 Mar 1920
Arrival Place: New York City
Petition Date: 14 Nov 1933
Petition Place: New York, USA
Spouse: Anna
Children: Kenneth

Old 11-23-2018, 07:45 PM

112 posts, read 62,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I have a new search up. Goveia born 'British Guiana' born 1878-1930 residence US; which brings more people.

As I said, would be helpful to have whatever info you know so it can be worked into the tree, or join and add it.
My great-great grandfather was born in Georgetown, British Guiana in 1903. He went by the name Leslie Clark which is what he went by in America and told the enumerator but none of the info you find on Leslie Clark is true, because he lied to enumerator. I found out his real last name after talking to cousins and discovering how were related. His surname is Goveia because that is the surname of his brother Francis Goveia Jr. His wife was Augusta Drummond nee Goveia and their daughter was Hermina Goveia. The grand daughter of Hermina Goveia and the great-grand daughter of Francis Goveia and Augusta Drummond is My cousin Karen Jaikoswki 7/23/69. i have other cousins who are also in this bloodline.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureKite View Post
My great-great grandfather was born in Georgetown, British Guiana in 1903. He went by the name Leslie Clark which is what he went by in America and told the enumerator but none of the info you find on Leslie Clark is true, because he lied to enumerator. I found out his real last name after talking to cousins and discovering how were related. His surname is Goveia because that is the surname of his brother Francis Goveia Jr. His wife was Augusta Drummond nee Goveia and their daughter was Hermina Goveia. The grand daughter of Hermina Goveia and the great-grand daughter of Francis Goveia and Augusta Drummond is My cousin Karen Jaikoswki 7/23/69. i have other cousins who are also in this bloodline.
Was this Leslie Clark(e) married to Catherine Slavak?

Old 11-26-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Was this Leslie Clark(e) married to Catherine Slavak?
Leslie Clark was married to Alice LaBlanc. Also, the record of him in America is false. He lied to the enumerator about his race, occupation, and birth place. He also even darkened his skin on some way so he wouldn't be seen as a white man with a black wife. His real identity lies within his parents and the records if of all their children in Guyana. That's why i was hoping someone in Guyana has access to their records.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:39 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Leslie Clark was married to Alice LaBlanc. Also, the record of him in America is false. He lied to the enumerator about his race, occupation, and birth place. He also even darkened his skin on some way so he wouldn't be seen as a white man with a black wife. His real identity lies within his parents and the records if of all their children in Guyana. That's why i was hoping someone in Guyana has access to their records.
I'll be back later; I have my 5 year old grandson and 1 1/2 year old grand daughter.
If his parents are Francis and Charlotte, there is no way he's born in 1903. She would have been in her 50's. I'd say maybe he lied about his age?

Old 11-26-2018, 02:11 PM

Have you done your DNA? You can upload to all the databases free, it may get you closer. Someone may have a tree for you with records. I do see someone in BG on family search but I didn't save the profile. Have you joined there yet? Enter what you already have.

My hubs few times great grandmother lied about her maiden name. We're waiting to prove the name we found with a DNA match that has not come yet. It will eventually.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:06 PM

What a mystery. Does the letter identify both of "Leslie's" parents?

Old 11-27-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'll be back later; I have my 5 year old grandson and 1 1/2 year old grand daughter.
If his parents are Francis and Charlotte, there is no way he's born in 1903. She would have been in her 50's. I'd say maybe he lied about his age?

I think he was telling the truth about what year he was born. He died in 1983at the age of 87yrs.old from cancer. If you research my cousin Karen Jaikowski, her great-great grandparents are Charlotte and Francis Goveia, one of their sons Francis Goveia Jr is the brother of my great-great grandfather. All of my Portuguese cousins I'm related to through this bloodline.

I did do 23andme.com So I know which cousins are from his line. Also his parents disowned him for marrying a black woman.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
I think he was telling the truth about what year he was born. He died in 1983at the age of 87yrs.old from cancer. If you research my cousin Karen Jaikowski, her great-great grandparents are Charlotte and Francis Goveia, one of their sons Francis Goveia Jr is the brother of my great-great grandfather. All of my Portuguese cousins I'm related to through this bloodline.

I did do 23andme.com So I know which cousins are from his line. Also his parents disowned him for marrying a black woman.
Sorry, something isn't adding up. I added Charlotte with an estimated year of birth 1856 assuming she was 18 when she had Francis in 1874. She would be about 50 years old having him in 1903. I don't know what the "common" cut off age would be back then. My hub and son have large families where the woman was mid 40's the oldest. How many other kids are missing from Francis and Charlotte? All I have is Francis. Then we go to Francis Jr born 1874; are you saying he had 4 kids? Francis, Hermina, Anthony and Eugene? I have not seen anything on Eugene

Are you doing a tree at ancestry?

Take your DNA from 23 and me, upload to My Heritage, FTDNA, GEDmatch and GEDmatch Genesis. They're all free. Right now My Heritage offers a lot of neat tools they'll be charging for if you don't upload by Dec 1st. My Heritage has matches world wide. They also offer trees and surnames of matches which could be a huge help for you. See my directions thread, scroll down to Now to the DNA https://www.city-data.com/forum/genea...l#post52497844 You could get lucky getting a cousin match still in BG that may have your great, great grandfather in their tree. That's the easiest way to do it right now because it's like looking for a needle in a hay stack trying to figure out his real name.

I had done a quick search on family search for Leslie Clark was married to Alice LaBlanc. There are tons of results

Where did they live and when exactly did he die in 1983? Another search adding 1983 gives me a few people born 1903, died in 1983. The one that passed in California is on find a grave with a wife Eleanor Ada Stark Clark 1915–1990

Need more info for sure. If you're not comfortable putting something in the thread, send me a message.

The best way IMO aside from DNA at My Heritage is picking thru the search I have of Goveia, Event: Birth, Place: 'British Guiana' coming into the US from BG. Hopefully his record is there somewhere.

My grand daughter will be here soon so I'll end here

Old 11-28-2018, 04:46 PM

Leslie Clark of Galveston, the merchant seaman, had four or five aliases last name Jackson or Johnson that I could find. What was up with that?

Also he may be related to the Goveia family, but not with Charlotte as a mother.

If you are basing this alternate Leslie Clark identity on a dna match to a cousin with these people as greatxmany times grandparents, that is not enough.

You said something about him writing a letter...what did it say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy