Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 11:14 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times

Advertisements

Would you deport yourself?

Old 05-13-2018, 11:34 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,954 times
Both my wife and I had distant relatives contributed to making this country thrive. My side has been traced back to the Mayflower and my wife side to the signing of the Declaration of Independence. She is a member of the Daughters of the Revolution. The vast majority of people who came to this country during the 18th and into the early 20th century had only one desire and that was to make this the greatest country in the world and they secede in doing that. There were no illegals during most of that time.

Today's illegals do nothing to keep America great. The majority take and give back little.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:45 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Self deport to where? Especially given that you likely don't have citizenship in your grandparents' country of origin. In any event, under current law in the US, you'd still be a citizen by birth in the US, regardless of your grandparent's illegality.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:19 PM

3,080 posts, read 1,543,613 times
If its your grandparents, that might be at the turn of the century and no one was illegal. All the people who immigrated here before there were rules and permits to do so are all illegal in todays terms. Thats lots and lots and lots and lots of people.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:42 PM

2,984 posts, read 1,748,231 times
Seems to be a dumb question.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:52 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
I'd be disappointed or even angry that they broke the law.

My grandparents came legally and I can see their name on the Ellis Island website and on a plaque for the ship they came in on. One of these days I'd like to visit Ellis Island.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:14 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post

My grandparents came legally and I can see their name on the Ellis Island website and on a plaque for the ship they came in on. One of these days I'd like to visit Ellis Island.

My wife and I visited Ellis and Liberty island a few years back and it was pretty cool especially that she is from Ireland and if it was 100 years ago she might have come through Ellis island.

Something that struck us when we were there was that the immigrants of that day came here seeking a better life just as they do today but if they were sick they were turned back and the shipping company paid their ticket. If they came without the money to support themselves they were sent back. If they did not have skill or trade that they could use in America to support themselves they were sent back. If they did not have a friend or family already here that were willing to support them then they were sent back.

What has happened since then when the huddled masses were allowed to enter the country BUT they had to be healthy and be able to support themselves or have someone to sponsor them?

What has changed that the responsibility has shifted from the immigrant to the states and feds to take care of these people?

Another interesting thought from that day was we took a ferry from Liberty island to the site of the World Trade Center memorial.

We went from seeing the images of people that came to America for a better life and to contribute to our great society to a grim reminder of what some would make of our kindness and generosity in destroying America.

Times have changed.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:17 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Both my wife and I had distant relatives contributed to making this country thrive. My side has been traced back to the Mayflower and my wife side to the signing of the Declaration of Independence. She is a member of the Daughters of the Revolution. The vast majority of people who came to this country during the 18th and into the early 20th century had only one desire and that was to make this the greatest country in the world and they secede in doing that. There were no illegals during most of that time.

Today's illegals do nothing to keep America great. The majority take and give back little.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of those who come to America do so to improve their own and that of their family members lives much better. Its not just white immigrants from centuries yore.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:11 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,885,695 times
Nope

Old 05-13-2018, 11:15 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
The vast majority of people who came to this country during the 18th and into the early 20th century had only one desire and that was to make this the greatest country in the world and they secede in doing that. There were no illegals during most of that time.

No, they came here because there were opportunities and land that were not available in Europe. Some of them came to literally save their families from starvation. Some people were imported from Africa against their will to make other people rich. This romanticism over the past is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration