Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 12:09 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,110 posts, read 30,428,674 times

Advertisements

Yesterday on a Google search for some of my NY forebears I found this wiki. I've been using this site for years and didn't even know it had a wiki.

Seems to be packed with information on the pages I looked at.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Main_Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 04:35 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,047,947 times
Ahh -- like I said on the other post - the site is NOT intuitive :+( There is a lot of good stuff there. Sooo hard to find.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:35 PM

936 posts, read 825,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Yesterday on a Google search for some of my NY forebears I found this wiki. I've been using this site for years and didn't even know it had a wiki.

Seems to be packed with information on the pages I looked at.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Main_Page

Ancestry.com has it's own wiki too under the Learning Center tab. You do not need to subscribe to ancestry.com to use it.

Ancestry.com Wiki

Old 06-17-2013, 04:41 AM

^
One of the things I like about familysearch.org is that it's free. As a result, more people can use it.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,047,947 times
Here is the link to their blog which highlights new features. Along the right side are links to those other features I find so hard to find - - - - - if these things were easier to find I'm sure they'd have more users - -who knew there was a tv show coming up!

Old 06-18-2013, 06:27 PM

The TV show Genealogy Roadshow is by PBS.

PBS Announces New Series, GENEALOGY ROADSHOW, Premiering This Fall : PBS

Old 06-18-2013, 07:58 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,361,273 times
That TV show could be cool.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 PM

393 posts, read 1,498,094 times
Marked that show on my calendar, and Who Do You Think You Are? is returning, but it will be aired on TLC instead of NBC beginning July 23. Thanks for the info about the Wiki, I'll check it out.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 PM

^
I'm glad if TLC picked up WDYTYA.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:38 AM

936 posts, read 825,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
OH, WOW!!

Ironically, I actually thought about contacting another PBS show, the History Detectives, to help me hunt down some documents I would like to see in my family history. This would be perfect!

In another thread, I explained that I am related to the Blairs of Blair House. Specifically, I am related to Francis Preston's Blair's wife, Eliza (GIST) Blair. Back at the time of the Revolution, one of my great-grandmother was Edith (GIST) Price, who was Eliza Blair's aunt.

The Gists were a very socially prominent family from Baltimore, MD, in colonial America. Long story short, they were also very prominent revolutionaries who personally knew George Washington and were in his inner circle of friends and confidentants. (That's how the Blairs ended up living across the street from the White House.) Another member of the family was Brigadier General Mordecai Gist, who was one of the seven American generals at Yorktown who witnessed the British surrender by Lord Cornwallis. He was my great-grandmother's nephew, making him my first cousin, 8 or 9 times removed.

Mordecai Gist -- Wikipedia

Apparently, up until about 1910 another cousin (who is not really too distant from me) had a collection of about 15 letters written by George Washington to Mordecai Gist. They were family heirlooms and I want to see them. That side of my family carried these letters from Maryland to Ohio and finally to Iowa, where they ended up in the same tiny town where my great-grandfather was born. But the cousin who had these letters ran for the governor of Iowa in 1910 (he lost), and I know that he donated these letters to the Grand Masonic Lodge of Iowa. (The family tree has more freemasons than you can shake a stick at.) I have found a few newspaper articles about the donation of the letters. But after that the trail goes cold. I'd like them to track down these letters and I want to see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy