Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:00 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times

Advertisements

Has anyone done data entry for ancestry or familysearch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 AM

356 posts, read 834,465 times
^I did some for familysearch a while back....the records weren't easily read, unfortunately, and since it was volunteer work, I gave it up after about a week.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:49 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
I have. For both.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:24 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
I was thinking about it but never followed up.

I can read 16-19th century German Gothic Script church books. (Also PA German Frakturs.)

Old 12-20-2011, 07:36 PM

993 posts, read 2,292,491 times
I have done it for Family Search. I was considered a beginner, the records I got to transcribe were easy to read. I haven't done any lately. What did you want to know about it?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
^I did some for familysearch a while back....the records weren't easily read, unfortunately, and since it was volunteer work, I gave it up after about a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I have. For both.
How did they compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
I have done it for Family Search. I was considered a beginner, the records I got to transcribe were easy to read. I haven't done any lately. What did you want to know about it?
I became an arbitrator for ancestry a few years back.

--
A few years ago I did some for ancestry. For the most part it was enjoyable. One thing I don't like is that, even though they have volunteer labor, the use of those collections is only available commercially afterwards.

Familysearch on the other hand is free. If I had the time to do so again, I think I'd go with familysearch for that reason. Have also wondered if familysearch's projects might be ones I'd be more interested in.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:45 PM

993 posts, read 2,292,491 times
Just curious, what does an arbitrator for Ancestry do?

Old 12-23-2011, 03:56 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Data extraction for both FamilySearch & Ancestry are pretty much the same.

I don't have fundamental trouble doing extraction for a commercial entity any more than I do for a church whose policies and beliefs I don't share. Ancestry is such a universally available entity, even though I have to pay to use it, I'm all for supporting it. Users don't have to subscribe - they can go to the library and use it for free (paying for it through their taxes). Besides, it's subscription worth every penny to me, I use it daily.

But your mileage may vary.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindiana View Post
Just curious, what does an arbitrator for Ancestry do?
An arbitrator reviews and compares the data entry efforts of two other people with the original document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Data extraction for both FamilySearch & Ancestry are pretty much the same.

I don't have fundamental trouble doing extraction for a commercial entity any more than I do for a church whose policies and beliefs I don't share. Ancestry is such a universally available entity, even though I have to pay to use it, I'm all for supporting it. Users don't have to subscribe - they can go to the library and use it for free (paying for it through their taxes). Besides, it's subscription worth every penny to me, I use it daily.

But your mileage may vary.
That's a good point about not agreeing with a church, but I like the equal access familysearch grants all users. Ancestry is not available to those who don't live near a subscribing library. Ancestry may even be LDS owned. Not sure.

The library version is supposed to be different from home. Have you ever used the library version? I wonder if there's any substantial difference. I've chosen not to get it at home in the past b/c I was on the road with work and wouldn't have used it much. But during down time I got all I could out of it at the library. Because I seem to have exhausted its resources I hesitate to subscribe now, even with a free trial run.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:42 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Ancestry may even be LDS owned. Not sure.
FamilySearch is definitely LDS, but I'm pretty sure Ancestry isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy