Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 09:38 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times

Advertisements

I have the underground sewer line runs out of my front yard to the city sewer on the street side. It's pretty deep, probably at least 5 ~ 6 feet or more. I am thinking planting trees (maple, redbud, or even japanese maple) near that area. How far back should I plan for the roots so as to not to penetrate those PVC sewer pipes?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 11:49 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
roots won't grow in to PVC pipe, in fact one solution for roots invading the old clay pipe is PVC casing.

if you were really worried about it, 10-15 feet for the redbud and japanese maple and a bit more for the red maple (or other non-invasive maple cultivar).

of course, over the long term, i suppose the large roots of some trees could, at least in theory push on the pipes and somehow heave them out of place or crush them, i guess if they were right on top of it or right beside it

Old 09-25-2009, 12:13 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,346 times
Depends on the type of tree. Some have roots that don't grow deep or invasive, such as dogwoods.

They DO grow into PVC pipe, especially at the joints.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:29 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
hmm never seen one grow into pvc pipe or the joint, but i suppose in nature v. plastic that nature will eventually win

is it becuase sewer lines aren't under pressure?

Old 09-29-2009, 04:26 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,055 times
Agreed, much will depend on the type/species of tree chosen..

Smaller trees like crape myrtle generally have smaller root systems in comparison to something like an oak or maple whose roots can seek out something like a sewer line during times of drought..especially if the tree was not correctly established (ie: it did not get a regular deep soaking to help establish a deep root system..)

Here in CA. we usually have trouble with trees like poplars, silver maple, box elder and plane trees..

As for pvc pipes?. tree roots will also penetrate these with time...especially larger or greedy rooting species....

Old 09-29-2009, 06:13 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
6' down is not much of an issue. A tap root goes straight down (more or less) and feeder roots are commonly within the top couple of feet. To be on the safe side, I'd find the average crown width of the adult tree, and go between 1/4 to 1/2 of that figure as the distance from the tree bole to the sewer line.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
hmm never seen one grow into pvc pipe or the joint, but i suppose in nature v. plastic that nature will eventually win

is it becuase sewer lines aren't under pressure?
I have never seen roots get into a properly sealed PVC joint either - not a glued fitting anyway. And that after 30 years in this trade, including several country clubs with weekly or daily line repairs.

Some tree worker posted a photo or mentioned a photo shown at a trade seminar, of a root entering a line, but that's exceedingly an exception. And I don't think it was a PVC or similar pipe either. If a fitting is glued so that pressurized water can't escape or leak, how will a root penetrate?

Consider how many irrigation and city water lines and meters are located near trees by sidewalk areas and leading into homes and buildings? On occassion a big tree will break a pipe, but in my lifetime, I don't expect to see a tree root penetrate a sealed glued fitting.

Slip or compression joint - maybe, but still have not seen it.

For my own needs, I'd have no problem with planting a Japanese maple directly over a sewer line at our home, especially if it was several feet deep.

Probably would not plant something like a big red maple or scarlet oak right over it, but maybe 8' or more to the side.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Certified Arborist

Old 06-25-2011, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 20,857 times
Depends on the quality of the joint. If the joint was properly primed and glued with pvc glue (705) then I dont see roots getting in unless the pipe settles and cracks.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:09 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Large trees planted over or very near PVC piping will eventually crack or break the PVC connections due to the weight of the tree and the expansion of the trees root system. Then the roots will have a new water source and you will have a huge repair bill. Something has to give, and the PVC is the most susceptible.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 20,653 times
Planting trees are being discouraged around our neighborhood because of the concrete sewer lines. Are there any trees that I can plant that won't dig into the concrete sewer lines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden