Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 02:50 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,633 times

Advertisements

Living in Northern Nevada, when is the best time to plant trees. I've heard that you can plant trees in early spring we do still get a little snow but it's gone by early afternoon the same day of receiving it.

I have Italian (sp) Pine and would like to get them into the ground as soon as possible as they appear to be root bound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 05:00 PM

8 posts, read 24,115 times
I would say that the best time would be spring when the ground starts to warm up and soften. The warmer months are generally better for planting as the plant wakes up and can have a better chance of getting its roots sorted out in the new ground. You are right to be worried about the roots being out of the ground for too long. When you plant them sprinkle some bone meal into the bottom of the hole as well as some mulch. The trees will need watering and watering around them once they are planted does not always mean that enough water gets down to the roots. To make sure that the roots take and get enough water insert a length of pipe or a piece of plastic tube into the hole next to the root ball. Fill in the hole and make sure that the tube sticks up through the top of the soil. When you water the tree pour the water down the tube and it will go straight to the roots.
Hope this helps

Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,034,391 times
Tressa,..

My best advise would be to go ahead and plant them when the soil is workable..

If this is the case at this time,..you should be alright, as long as most of your nights will no longer dip far below freezing..,

As for dealing with root bound plants..When i face this issue, i will take the tree out of its container at planting time( if they aren't extremely large containers, like a 24" box..) and lightly prune any circling roots i can easily access..Most often, i'll slice the rootball once down each side and then trim up the bottom..to this date, ive never had issues with shock.. Another thing ive had success with is using a root stimulator at planting time...

As for watering,..if including a perferated watering tube into the planting hole isn't an option for you, build a resirvior around the base of the tree..water once then allow the water to sink in..then repeat once or twice more, depending on how long it takes the water to absorb into the soil..Generally the longer it takes, the more clay exists in your soil in which case you will not need to water as often...

Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 AM

37 posts, read 106,865 times
Depends on the tree - if it is already budding, then the ground temps need to be warm - which you can tell by if the dandelions are blooming. If it is not budding, then you can plant it earlier. The point being is do not shock the tree.

After you get it planted - put a good thick mulch around the base but away from the truck and plant some strawberries, or other low rooting fruits under it. Then plant a low growing grass beyond that for a low maintenance area around your tree. See TransitionTowns.org for more permaculture ways to plant.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:35 AM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,633 times
I have heard about the pipe and have plenty of 1 inch plastic pipe and will plant the trees with the pipe next to the roots, once I do that at what point do I pull the plastic pipe out or do I just let it be? I'm really looking forward to get these trees planted, I also purchased a couple of aspens and populars along with cherry blossom trees.

Thank you for your advice and continue with as much information as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden