Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:10 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times

Advertisements

Can bulbs be transplanted once they have sprouted for the season? My husband has found many, many bulbs sprouting along the train tracks and would like to put them in out flower beds. Does it hurt them to be moved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 10:21 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Can bulbs be transplanted once they have sprouted for the season? My husband has found many, many bulbs sprouting along the train tracks and would like to put them in out flower beds. Does it hurt them to be moved?
Wait until after they flower and the leaves have shrivelled a little. Don't cut the leaves, that's how the plant nourishes itself for next year.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:48 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
I've dug irises and daffodils up off the side of the road many times in full bloom and planted in my yard and had no problems with them.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:20 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,814 times
I have transplanted bulbs after they've sprouted... sometimes with no problem, the flower will bloom nicely. Sometimes the sprout does die off...but the next season will sprout up fine.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:11 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
Thanks everyone. Bulbs are all new to me.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:12 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,376,211 times
I am currently transplanting iris's that have started to sprout. I do this every year because I put it off and they always do great.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
I dug up over 3,000 bulbs(hadn't been divided in years so some are very tiny) in March- some in bloom- to move to our new house in NC. I have transplanted all sorts of things when you are not supposed to. I have a degree in horticulture and we learned the proper time for pruning, spraying, transplanting and then were told "but like every body else you do it when you get around to it" That is so true. As far as bulbs and daylillies and iris- you may disrupt this years flowering schedule by digging at the wrong time but most quicky recover and if they are "found" on empty lots and beside the road , the price is right so it is worth it by all means.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:30 AM

218 posts, read 1,462,480 times
Can All bulbs be transplanted? I have glads and calla lillies that I would like to pull, they have already bloomed. I put them in a bad spot last year, and am tired of fighting vines that reach and grab everything on that side if my yard. Living in eastern NC i will wait until fall, when its cooler.
1) If I transplant this year, can I do it again next year? (we're tring to get a house built, and with any luck, next year will move)
2) If i can't transplant 2 yrs in a row, should I pull and store them?

How about lilacs and roses? (i'm clueless, I put things in the ground and they grow) My lilac I planted last yr will also be consumed by vines if not moved. My roses are good but would love them at new place. could I move them or are they better off staying put?
( I always find good topics on this forum!!)

Old 07-11-2009, 10:17 AM

all bulbs can be transplanted. Bulbs and day lillies are your best landscaping bargain. If you dig your bulbs and can't move them right away. do this. If the foliage has not died down just keep them in pots until the foliage does die down. DON'T CUT GREEN FOLIAGE. then store the bulbs in dry saw dust to; keep them dry. then plant them. I kept mine in saw dust for about 7 months. when I got to our new house some were beginning to sprout even in dry sawdust with no light. Just plant them with lots of bone meal in the hole. I had all sorts of colors and varieties mixed up when I planted them and I then wanted to rearrange them by color so while they were in bloom I just moved them again. bulbs are hardy. So yes you can move them several times . Just don't let them get wet or they will rot.

about roses- wait till they are dormant- january or feb and then you can move them. nurseries mail order and send roses bare root all over the country. they just need to get back in the ground before thery brek dormancy.
don't know a thing about lilacs.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:34 PM

when storing bulbs till you can plant them be sure to store them in saw dust in PAPER BAGS OR CARDBOARD but not plastic. plastic will hold in the moisture and they will rot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden