Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 04:45 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
If you can keep track of the extension cord and dont have to mow around lot plants or other objects, electric cord mower can be real bargain. No maintenance except occasionally sharpening blade.

You would be amazed how easy some mower engines start. No fifteen fast jerks of the rope like in old days. I have one that in hot weather takes a lazy half pull of cord, think just about anybody could start it. In colder weather it can take little more effort cause I use 30W oil. If I would use synthetic sure it would start easy then too. Just dont use lawn mower in cooler weather much except final mow of season.
Yeah I have a ten year old push mower that always starts on the first pull. No primer bulb and no choke. It's a LawnBoy but it has a Briggs engine. Best push mower I've ever owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 04:59 PM

262 posts, read 164,486 times
I bought the EGO battery operated lawn mower, but they make 2 versions - a plastic platform and a steel platform. When I realized this, I quickly exchanged my plastic version for the more durable steel version prior to the first use. We have a full line of the EGO products: chain saw, snow blower, mower, leaf blowers (back-pack & a hand held), and a generator. The lawn mower has been reliable, and comes with an optional accessory to mulch the grass, although my husband prefers to use the bag. Also has an adjustable grass cutting level you can select, but again my husband does not bother with that feature either.

Old 10-31-2020, 10:55 PM

480 posts, read 316,600 times
Greenworks Pro 60V from Lowes. Really like it.
Starts with simple push of button EVERY single time. No messing with a choke. No rebuilding a cheepo carb.
And very quiet, I can mow early in the morning and not worry about disturbing neighbors. I try to be considerate of folks.

Old 11-01-2020, 12:30 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Love love love my Greenworks electric mower. Got this last year and wish I had done so sooner. Use to struggle to get that dang gas Toro mower started - dreaded the first use of the spring - will it or won't it start??

Old 11-01-2020, 04:24 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
We had a Worx electric mower for years, worked great. No gas to mess with, no tuneups, no hard starting, just keep the battery charged and go. For people with 1/2 acres or less to mow, they're a great choice.

For people with acreage, or rough brush areas, go with gas. We've got 33 acres on our rural property, and an electric mower just wouldn't be able to tackle some of the stuff we subject our Cub Cadet riding lawnmower to.

Old 11-01-2020, 11:21 AM

15,424 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
For gas mowers, make sure to use ethanol free gas, because ethanol will eventually cause corrosion in the carburetor.

For battery powered mowers, make sure to store the battery inside the house when not being used. Excessive heat will shorten the life of lithium batteries.
Ethanol free is not an option for me. It's a45 minute drive to the first station that carries it.

We bought a Kobalt 80V battery powered mower this year. It works very well, and cuts our 1/4 acre yard twice on one charge. I will be looking at a Kobalt weed whacker next, preferably capable of using the same battery.

Old 11-02-2020, 04:46 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaViews View Post
I bought the EGO battery operated lawn mower, but they make 2 versions - a plastic platform and a steel platform. When I realized this, I quickly exchanged my plastic version for the more durable steel version prior to the first use. We have a full line of the EGO products: chain saw, snow blower, mower, leaf blowers (back-pack & a hand held), and a generator. The lawn mower has been reliable, and comes with an optional accessory to mulch the grass, although my husband prefers to use the bag. Also has an adjustable grass cutting level you can select, but again my husband does not bother with that feature either.
How does the EGO snowblower work out for you? I am intrigued by it's lightweight and avoiding the annoying starting issues associated with gas snowblowers stored in cold temps. My thought would be keeping the battery charger in my basement to keep the batteries from being degraded by the cold temps.

Old 11-02-2020, 05:18 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
What will last longer gas mower or electric mower? How much maintenance do they require if purchased new? Gas mower vs electrical mower

Is there any particular brand i should stay away from and any you would recommend?
I'll keep it simple...

I choose Battery power over electric
Gas power over battery power
That Simple.

Cons of battery power..
  • Not enough suction to "lift" the grass blades. So its not good for all grass types or long grass it wont do the job like a gas powered one does
  • Battery doesn't last long enough so you need to have 2 batteries charged and ready. Unless you have a small yard then 1 is fine but annoying to remember to charge it.
  • Any little hill or obstruction will drain battery faster when using more force
  • Doesn't mulch leaves
  • Costs more
  • Not sure the longevity of it but parts are probably more expensive or harder to fix.

Pros of battery...
  • Quiet so you can mow before or after hours
  • Less maintenance
  • Light weight but feels weak

Old 11-02-2020, 06:48 AM

15,424 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I'll keep it simple...

I choose Battery power over electric
Gas power over battery power
That Simple.

Cons of battery power..
  • Not enough suction to "lift" the grass blades. So its not good for all grass types or long grass it wont do the job like a gas powered one does
  • Battery doesn't last long enough so you need to have 2 batteries charged and ready. Unless you have a small yard then 1 is fine but annoying to remember to charge it.
  • Any little hill or obstruction will drain battery faster when using more force
  • Doesn't mulch leaves
  • Costs more
  • Not sure the longevity of it but parts are probably more expensive or harder to fix.

Pros of battery...
  • Quiet so you can mow before or after hours
  • Less maintenance
  • Light weight but feels weak
Our 80V Kobalt has none of those issues. There are far fewer parts on an electric mower, so they should require less repair.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:18 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Something to consider. A replacement EGO battery is $349.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden