Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:30 PM

26 posts, read 265,889 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I have already posted in the Charleston area forums but figured its worth a

shot here too so here goes...

My family and I were in Walmart the other day and we were picking out all of

the things we wanted to grow this year.We got a couple of the usual flowers

and veggies and my daughter said she wanted to grow a pumpkin so we

headed over to the seed racks.We got her pumkin seeds and started looking

for anything else interesting,well we found it...POPPIES!Walmart had poppy seeds for growing

They were all beautiful but we got a pack of hen and chicks,giant peony mix

and lady bird poppies.

So to the question...Is it illegal to grow poppies in SC?Does anyone in SC

grow these?I would hate to have the DEA kick down my door for some flowers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 06:11 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Opium poppy's are illegal. What kind of poppy's does the seed package say they are?
http://www.gardensablaze.com/HerbPoppy.htm

Last edited by wit-nit; 03-12-2008 at 06:49 PM..

Old 03-13-2008, 06:18 AM

26 posts, read 265,889 times
Thanks for the link
Thats the best info I have gotten so far.

The varieties that I bought at Walmart are Hens and Chicks,lady bird and the giant peony mix.

I think the hens and chicks might be papaver somniferum.I cant understand why Walmart would sell flowers that could get me a felony conviction

It is obvious that they are sold as seeds to grow with planting instructions and all.

Cant belive that Walmart almost got me tossed in prison for drug manufacturing

Do you think I should let them know that they are encouraging illegal activity

Old 05-13-2008, 06:43 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I just found these on the Alaska Craigslist. Himalayan Blue and white poppies. I'm gonna give those a try around the house (which is blue with white trim). Poppies do pretty well here in southcentral Alaska. I've never seen blue or white. Awesome!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:11 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
there are many varieties of Poppies.

I have California poppies that are perennials, and I grew Black Peopny Poppies from seed this year ... i think they are annuals.... as most poppies are.

It does look like the Papaver somniferum are annuals. so I don't see a reason why they wont grow in CS.

OH.. btw - i dont think the poppy police will come and arrest you ;-)
... they are a beautiful flower.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:08 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,348,325 times
They'll be lovely next to your hemp plants.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:16 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,909,641 times
Hi Rance,

Your popy looks like what we saw in English gardens: Meconopsis betonicifolia.
While living in the UK, I fell in love with them and wanted to grow them hen we returned to the States. A fellow in BC sent me some seeds and I tried to grow them here in Charlotte, NC - no luck. Too hot and not a long enough cool growing season (i.e. similar to what's needed for spinach and broccoli) My seedlings kept dampening off as soon as it started to get warm. I suspect you'll have better luck in Alaska. Enjoy hem. They are gorgeous.

I was wondering the other day what garden flowers you grow up there. OOOPS don't mean to hijack the thread. I'll start a new one.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:45 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
I've bought papaver somniferum seeds in the past. They're sometimes called hens and chickens, other times breadbox (because they're the type of poppyseeds used on rolls). I don't know why they're sold if they're illegal to grow, but I have grown them.

By the way, in SC you should plant papaver somniferum or papaver rhoeas seeds in the fall. Just plant them where you want them to grow and leave them alone, they don't transplant well. I have some rhoeas (aka corn poppies, shirley poppies, flanders field poppies) that I planted last fall and they're blooming nicely right now in southeastern NC.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:58 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
In NC, they use the red poppy as a roadside beautification plant. I believe they do that in Spartinburg/Greenville along I-85.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:24 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Some red poppies are not opium poppies. Neither are some of the white ones. I have, however, seen pink opium poppies growing clearly in view in one of the historic gardens in Charleston.

And some varieties of opium poppies do not contain much, if any, of the active ingredient needed to make usable opium.

How do I know? They're one of my favorite flowers. You'd need a lot of them to do any damage. But please don't do something stupid. We've lost enough of our freedoms already and don't need helicopters landing in our gardens and smashing out everything that resembles a questionable substance. These people are not that bright or subtle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden