Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Opium poppies used to be sold commercially for people to grow in their yards, but people caught on and they are off the market now. Breadseed, California, Oriental, Flanders, Shirley and Iceland poppies are all fine to grow. You can't get high off them!
I'm sorry to disagree with you Cliffie but I've done some research on this. In my garden I wanted to focus on edibles.

Opium Poppy = papaver somniferum
Opium Poppy = papaver paeoniflorum
Opium Poppy = breadseed poppy

In fact, if you eat enough poppy seed rolls (or even one, it may depend) you may fail a drug test.

Growing your own poppy seeds is illegal, but you may never be caught or prosecuted...unless someone dislikes you. Then you may be in trouble. The answer is not to grow these things and feign ignorance. Gardeners need to fight for our rights to grow opium poppies. The federal government does not belong in our gardens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 07:44 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
In fact, if you eat enough poppy seed rolls (or even one, it may depend) you may fail a drug test.
I can attest to this. One of my co-workers had a friend who went to India for a 2-week vacation before starting a new job at our company. The entire vacation she drank a specialty tea available in the region she visited. Came home and took the pre-job drug test prior to her start date and failed the test. They called to rescind the job offer.

She did some research and found out the tea she had been drinking was made with poppy seeds. It was literally the ONLY thing she drank during her sojourn to India.

She called our HR office back when she realized what had happened and tried to explain, offering to show the product information as well as her stamped passport, but they wouldn't listen.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I can attest to this. One of my co-workers had a friend who went to India for a 2-week vacation before starting a new job at our company. The entire vacation she drank a specialty tea available in the region she visited. Came home and took the pre-job drug test prior to her start date and failed the test. They called to rescind the job offer.

She did some research and found out the tea she had been drinking was made with poppy seeds. It was literally the ONLY thing she drank during her sojourn to India.

She called our HR office back when she realized what had happened and tried to explain, offering to show the product information as well as her stamped passport, but they wouldn't listen.
LOL this is awful, though...She should write her congressperson. Poppy seed tea was also popular in the US I understand it was a tea drunk by many women and has calming medicinal benefits.

Of course you can also concentrate it and shoot it into your veins. Did you also know that you can get high from nutmeg and morning glory seeds? It may not be long before some idiot tries to make it illegal for gardeners to grow these.

Here is some information from the only decent website Google has...Google Books.

Handbook of Forensic Drug Analysis - Fred Smith - Google Books

Legally Stoned: 14 Mind-Altering Substances You Can Obtain and Use Without ... - Todd A. Thies - Google Books

Dangerous Garden: The Quest for Plants to Change Our Lives - David C. Stuart - Google Books

According to the last book, the Indian name for nutmeg is something that I'm paraphrasing as "Will get you high" LOL. Ok smiles aside, if a substance can make you high, it can probably kill you so don't try any of this stuff.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:17 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I just found these on the Alaska Craigslist. Himalayan Blue and white poppies. I'm gonna give those a try around the house (which is blue with white trim). Poppies do pretty well here in southcentral Alaska. I've never seen blue or white. Awesome!

Good luck with those. My climate is too harsh for Himalayans. I would give my eyeteeth to grow a true-blue poppy!!!

Old 08-16-2014, 06:21 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I'm sorry to disagree with you Cliffie but I've done some research on this. In my garden I wanted to focus on edibles.

Opium Poppy = papaver somniferum
Opium Poppy = papaver paeoniflorum
Opium Poppy = breadseed poppy

Growing your own poppy seeds is illegal, but you may never be caught or prosecuted...unless someone dislikes you. Then you may be in trouble. The answer is not to grow these things and feign ignorance. Gardeners need to fight for our rights to grow opium poppies. The federal government does not belong in our gardens.
Well, if it's illegal, it's also just about impossible to enforce. Witness the fact that you can buy breadseed poppy seeds in more than a few nationally-circulated catalogues. I know you can flunk a drug test by eating poppyseed bread, but the same companies that will fire you for that buy poppyseed bagels and lemon-poppyseed loaf for their employee break rooms. Think of all the seed savers you know who have been preserving their great-grandparents' strains of this and that and are not about to stop growing and handing them out. Even if they are the same plant -- and the flowers are so different that I frankly doubt they are -- the toothpaste is out of the tube already.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Well, if it's illegal, it's also just about impossible to enforce. Witness the fact that you can buy breadseed poppy seeds in more than a few nationally-circulated catalogues. I know you can flunk a drug test by eating poppyseed bread, but the same companies that will fire you for that buy poppyseed bagels and lemon-poppyseed loaf for their employee break rooms. Think of all the seed savers you know who have been preserving their great-grandparents' strains of this and that and are not about to stop growing and handing them out. Even if they are the same plant -- and the flowers are so different that I frankly doubt they are -- the toothpaste is out of the tube already.
So the way forward is anarchy? So our country has gotten to the point where there are so many laws and regulations that they can be flouted by will, and are unenforceable?

No wonder people are stockpiling weapons. Why not try to change the laws instead of flouting them and hoping not to get caught? We are citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden