Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:38 PM

139 posts, read 619,221 times

Advertisements

I just took a look at the post "10 reasons not to move to Raleigh" and saw something about CAMEL CRICKETS...sure being from NYC and living in the burbs...I have seen bugs...and I hate them. I have seen huge roaches in NYC at certain places BUT what the HECK ARE CAMEL CRICKETS?! And they jump? What else can I expect (bug/snake) down in NC? Shall I carry a can of RAID on my waist? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 12:56 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,353,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieproductions View Post
I just took a look at the post "10 reasons not to move to Raleigh" and saw something about CAMEL CRICKETS...sure being from NYC and living in the burbs...I have seen bugs...and I hate them. I have seen huge roaches in NYC at certain places BUT what the HECK ARE CAMEL CRICKETS?! And they jump? What else can I expect (bug/snake) down in NC? Shall I carry a can of RAID on my waist? Thanks!
We had these in the crawl space of my rental house in Richmond, Va. I remember opening up the small door to the crawl space once when we first moved in and peering into the darkness under the house and all I heard was a light *hop* *hop* *hop* sound. I turned on my flashlight and saw a bunch of camel crickets jumping around in the dark crawl space.

I closed the door......and never opened it again!

Cave Cricket aka "Camel Cricket" ~ Wikipedia

Old 12-21-2007, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the input, a can of raid in each hand it is!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 01:09 PM

655 posts, read 920,659 times
That is one ugly looking creepy crawler. No thanks.

And by the way, did you know the average person eats 13 spiders per year? This happens while we sleep, as our mouths are wide open the spider crawl inside, we half wake, closing our mouths, thus swallowing the spider. Just a pleasant thought for today

Old 12-21-2007, 01:12 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,261,784 times
NRG, we must have inhabited parallel universes! I never saw one of those until I moved to Richmond, VA in 1990. We bought a house in a historic district in North Richmond, first time I went into the basement one of those things jumped right onto my chest. I dropped whatever was in my hands, and ran upstairs screaming like a little girl.

I still hate them probably more than any other insect, but thankfully I've only seen a handful of them here in the Triangle.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:12 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,353,369 times
FWIW I have only come across these buggers once while living in Raleigh and that was when I was renting an apartment right next to a lake. You can't live next to a lake without expecting a certain level of insect problems. Now that I am in a more suburban setting I am relatively pest free with the exception of some pesty mosquitos in the summer. They aren't too bad, but annoyinh enough to convince me that my next house will have a screened in porch.

Insects aren't really a big issue IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
NRG, we must have inhabited parallel universes! I never saw one of those until I moved to Richmond, VA in 1990. We bought a house in a historic district in North Richmond, first time I went into the basement one of those things jumped right onto my chest. I dropped whatever was in my hands, and ran upstairs screaming like a little girl.

I still hate them probably more than any other insect, but thankfully I've only seen a handful of them here in the Triangle.
Very funny. I agree...out of all the creatures in the insect world, I despise the camel cricket the most!!!!!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 01:16 PM

226 posts, read 611,526 times
Just so you know, camel crickets might be freaky but they are COMPLETELY harmless. Yes, they jump high, but usually they are jumping to get away from you.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:34 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,125,364 times
Default Yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGRW View Post
Just so you know, camel crickets might be freaky but they are COMPLETELY harmless. Yes, they jump high, but usually they are jumping to get away from you.
They're also crunchy, have gobs of protein, and taste like chicken

Old 12-21-2007, 01:43 PM

354 posts, read 1,220,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
They're also crunchy, have gobs of protein, and taste like chicken
But they generally taste better if they are deep fried and then covered in Chocolate.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the somewhat scary info. I had read what the previous poster said about eating spiders while we sleep. I pull the covers up to my ears just in case of that...no thanks! I have always been paranoid about bugs crawling on my while I sleep. Must have been a movie I saw in the 70's called "The bug" (thanks to the babysitter for bringing me to see it, I think I was 6 yrs old at the time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden