Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 04:06 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,107 times

Advertisements

I have a 42 inch Craftsman riding mower and notice that the mower is leaving a strip or ridge of grass in the center between the two blades after I cut an area. Is this normal? this is my first riding mower. Also the mower has two blades and when the time comes how do I gain access to the underside to remove the blaces and sharpen them. I live in S. Florida and had Floratam grass and with all the rain it needs cutting every week.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 04:45 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
42 inch Craftsman riding mower ... leaving a strip or ridge of grass in the center.
Under the seat you'll find a label with the model number (917.-----)
Google that and get the owners manual.

Then read and follow the instructions for owner maintenance.
In particular look for how to clean and LEVEL the deck and how to sharpen the blades.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:21 PM

I should have written asking how best to raise the mower to remove the blades for sharpening. Also can you elaborate on deck leveling, how does that affect the mowing. I do check tire pressure before cutting.
Thanks

Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Is this a new mower? Still under warranty? I'd contact the local Sears service center. Let them work on it

Old 09-23-2013, 05:50 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
I should have written asking how best to raise the mower to remove the blades for sharpening.
That's in your manual.

Quote:
Also can you elaborate on deck leveling, how does that affect the mowing.
It's like alignment with your car.

Get the manual. Read up.
If you need help then hire it done.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:13 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Here is a page that might help you get access to the undercarriage of your lawn tractor: Tractor Supply Online Store - Enjoy searching:mower lift.

Tractor Supply has three lifts available. You can also just use auto ramps if you have them. Or, you could simply use concrete blocks and a ramp made out of 2"X10"X8' - just be careful that your tractor is secure.

I usually just put the mowing deck all the way up lay on a piece of foam. When I had my shop; I had a ramp up to a table.

Have you hit anything with your mower? If one of your blade spindles is bent; the blades might not meet.

But, as said before; is this still under warranty? If it is; take it back. However; if you had hit something; they will not cover that under warranty.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
You basically disconnect and drop the cutting deck to the ground, then pull it out to service it, but alignment/leveling is done with it on. You may have blades dull on the ends due to hitting rocks or sticks, that need sharpening or replacement. All manuals, if you don't have one are available as PDFs online by model and serial number. I recently got one for my Craftsman 30" as the old one got all greasy and dirty.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:16 PM

Thank you, it is 4 years old, out of warranty. DIY all the way.
Thanks,
Sid

Old 09-23-2013, 06:37 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
I have a Craftsman 48" garden tractor (a GT3000) that's about 10 or 12 years old. When it starts to leave a gap in the middle, or on the sides of each cutting path, the blades need sharpening or replacing. My mower deck has three blades.

To change my blades, you don't have to remove the deck to change them. I usually lift the front of the tractor with with an engine lift but, in a pinch, I've just run the mower up on blocks raising it enough to get my arms underneath.

Be careful sharpening blades yourself. If you grind too much off one end, it could place the blade out of balance and will eventually beat the bearings out of your hubs, or spindles as Sears calls them I believe. I usually just order new blades when they go dull. Mine are about $38.00 for the three.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I have a Craftsman 48" garden tractor (a GT3000) that's about 10 or 12 years old. When it starts to leave a gap in the middle, or on the sides of each cutting path, the blades need sharpening or replacing. My mower deck has three blades.

To change my blades, you don't have to remove the deck to change them. I usually lift the front of the tractor with with an engine lift but, in a pinch, I've just run the mower up on blocks raising it enough to get my arms underneath.

Be careful sharpening blades yourself. If you grind too much off one end, it could place the blade out of balance and will eventually beat the bearings out of your hubs, or spindles as Sears calls them I believe. I usually just order new blades when they go dull. Mine are about $38.00 for the three.
Here is a cheap balancer: 42-100 Blade Balancer. I used one very similar when I was in business many years ago. They might even have them cheaper made in plastic.

It takes some practice grinding your blades. Keep a coffee can of water along side of your grindstone. The blades get super hot while grinding. Just dunk your blades in the water to keep them cool. If you get them too hot; you'll take the temper out of the cutting edge. Also; don't try to get them super sharp. A very thin cutting edge tends to dull very quick when it hits small pebbles and sticks. With practice you can get pretty good. You also might want to wear a dust mask to protect yourself from silicone dust from the grinding wheel. Heavy leather gloves will protect your hands from burns. Of course; safety glasses should always be worn when grinding.

If you have two or more blades you can also perform one more check. Stack your blades together and check to see if they fit tight. Sometimes blades get bent from rocks and roots. If they are bent; they will not fit together without a big air space. In that case; buy new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden