Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,107 times

Advertisements

I have moved to south Florida and my front yard is St. Augustine and need a small riding mower- bad knees- and would also need a small push mower to trip around the palm trees. There are so many out there I am writing and hoping to get a recommendation. Here it is always hot and the grass grows year around. Plus I am on a corner and have grass on the side to cut. I estimate about 4000 sq feet of grass total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 06:25 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
A small, neutral-steer mower would likely preclude the need for a hand mower.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,107 times
For someone totally unaware what is an example of a small neutral steer mower?

Sid

Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
You can also kill a circle of grass around each tree and replace it with wood chips, mulch, or whatever people in your area use.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:15 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
I'm guessing a neutral steer is same as zero turn radius and similar terms, in other words a highly maneuverable small riding mower. And you're going to need it too if your yard is that small. If maneuverable enough and maybe a couple changes in landscape as suggested you probably don't need a push mower. If you get a basic rider I think that will be frustrating as you'll be spending additional time trying to get it to move in ways that it can't easily do, lots of backing up, etc.

I think you might want to price the rider plus gas and maintenance vs someone coming to cut it for you. The latter shouldn't cost very much on 4000 sq ft. You'll be in for at bare minimum somewhere between 2-3 grand I think for a better mower and it just seems like a lot for such a small yard. But then again, it's Florida and I guess the grass grows all year. Maybe the payoff is still only a few years even if you do spend 3 grand. But find out how much the lawn service costs just to be sure. I am a recent veteran of doing some things myself without knowing how much it would have cost to have someone else do it, so I don't really know how much I've saved. I kinda wish I knew.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:31 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Find a good used Walker mower if you can.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
40' x 100' equivalent? No way would I use a rider on something that small. What you need is a roomba with a mower blade.

Hire it done or see if a neighbor might be willing to mow yours at the same time as theirs for something in trade.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
The basic Snapper ride on (or Craftsman version) should work well.

SNAPPER 8HP B&S RIDE ON MOWER GWO NEW BELT + TYRE - YouTube

Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
40' x 100' equivalent? No way would I use a rider on something that small. What you need is a roomba with a mower blade.

Hire it done or see if a neighbor might be willing to mow yours at the same time as theirs for something in trade.
They actually do make robotic mowers. If the yard is flat that might not be a bad option. And certainly a conversation starter. But probably still a little touchy and takes a fair bit of setup.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 PM

389 posts, read 1,218,966 times
I've mowed a lot of grass in my life. For the size yard you have I would seriously look at hiring it done if the cost is not out of sight. Do you really need a riding mower for such a small area? Figure your initial costs and what it might cost to have it done. You'll have to do the regular oil changes, blade changes and the aggravation itself. What is your time worth?

If you get a riding mower I don't see the need for a push mower. I would instead get a good trimmer. Get a good brand like an Echo, Shindawai, Stihl or Redmax. The cheap ones should be taken out of the box and promptly deposited in the trash recepticle. They are junk.

I don't know if John Deere makes a small riding mower but they are really well designed. And if you do, see a John Deere dealer, not Home Depot or Lowe's. Those are not the same mowers. I sold mine when I moved here after eight years and took care of over 2 acres. Pretty much bullet-proof.

If you think you can make do with just a hand mower, as I think you probably can, I purchased a new Lawn Boy mulching mower last year that has been splendid and starts every time. Those are now made by Toro BTW. You can spend a ton of money on hand mowers but I got mine at Home Depot for about $180 after I talked them down as it was a "return" model. I guess the previous owner didn't know it was necessary to pull the rope to start it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden