Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:11 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times

Advertisements

What a wonderful picture TnHilltopper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 PM

242 posts, read 613,397 times
I rent. And my landlord just cut down the only tree in my yard. It was right outside my front window. I miss it still.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:51 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I can't stand it when developers clear cut lots and then build on them but from what I understand they do it because it makes building the house easier.

Think about the cost of LARGE trees if you were to buy them and put them in. Here in my area the lawn grows ALOT better where it is shaded by trees.

The only exception I would have to say is that there is a certain kind of tree in my area that breaks off in high winds, I don't know the name of it but I noticed it when the hurricanes of 2004 came through, they were broken all over town. The other kind of tree is a Sand Pine, they also break alot.

Assuming they are NICE trees, I would definetly want them to remain.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:13 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,548,295 times
I also don't like it when they cut down large trees, but yes - developers are in this for a profit. So if you could catch them before they cut down all the trees and say "I'm willing to pay an extra $50K for you to work around the trees" - you might keep a few.

In fact in our new development (we're building in a tract-mcmansion neighborhood) it was the fact that there were pockets of trees left, which kept the area from looking totally barren, that attracted us. Of course, the lots with trees cost extra (ranging from an $11K premium on up)..

The only time you can be really sure you get trees, is when you buy your own lot and custom build, but most of us can't afford that.. So, plant plant plant when you buy your tract home! In 20 years, it'll look pretty good!

Old 11-30-2007, 03:26 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,480 times
TnHilltopper, that was a great response with the picture. I like your humor. Got any rooms to rent? I'd live there!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:35 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,154,500 times
I live in a large neighborhood in the northern suburbs of DFW and the developers paid special attention to keeping most of the oaks and other types of trees here. The houses were built in between the trees on each lot so it's very pretty. It's also very hilly, believe it or not, and so they built smallish rock retaining walls between the lots which looks very nice mixed with the trees. Many residents live here because of the special attention paid to keeping the trees which only adds to the neighborhood, IMHO. There's so many trees here that the name of the development has the predominant type of tree in its name.

I've seen plenty of new neighborhoods in this area where all the trees have been cut down and you're left with $300K+ homes sitting on large lots with no shade or curb appeal at all.

Beautiful pic, TnHilltopper...

Old 12-01-2007, 01:01 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,813 times
Thumbs up Hello TNHilltopper!

Great picture!

Thank you for sharing with us! What is the name of the town or city?

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I think I need to plant a few more trees myself, you can squint and see my house in the distance from the road now... yikes!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:30 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Great picture!

Thank you for sharing with us! What is the name of the town or city?

Countrylv22
This is just outside the greater Crawford, TN metropolitan area. Our downtown consist of a post office about half the size of my shed but we are growing in leaps and bounds and added a one truck firehouse. However, I am not much for the rat race and prefer a quieter surroundings.

Downtown Crawford
37-1.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My driveway
Driveway-1.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Default I've posted this elsewhere

But I decided to put in this thread for a couple of reasons:

1. Our lot is above the arrow. We like our trees! There will be as many left as possible when we build.

2. I do not approve of what was done on the lot already built on. It used to be as thickly planted as ours. What was that person thinking?

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/Tek_Freek/Lakelotlocation-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-01-2007, 10:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
TnHilltopper:

Beautiful! I went through the rest of the pictures on that site and really like where you live.

Looks like we'll be "near enough" neighbors one day: our lot is in Fairfield Glade, just north of Crossville. We'll be moving there when we retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden