Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times

Advertisements

My wife wants some smelly bushes vines or trees to plant around the chicken run so the chicken stink will not permeate our yard. My suggestion of keeping the chicken run cleaner went over like a wet blanket. (Realistically, there is no way to clean it enought to not smell, especially during the rainy/muddy times.) I have no idea what kind of plants will provide a strong smell all through the season. Anyone know of any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,778,396 times
I guess your wife doesn't want to face the work needed to keep the accumulating ammonia from what the chickens leave behind. Unfortunately, despite how she feels about it, that is the only way to keep the odor levels down and the chickens healthy. Consistent cleaning out and dumping into the compost bins is the best solution.

Maybe she wants to try this: The low-smell, warm & cosy chicken coop instead of this: How to Keep a Chicken and Duck Pen from Smelling | eHow.com ?

Any cover up would be a tall order as few plants/vines/shrubs have strong enough smells and most have distinct periods (seasons) of bloom and will not cover the odor all year long. I can't come up a tree with pleasant smelling blooms where the scent is strong and lasts longer than 2 weeks or sol. Among vines native honeysuckle (aka trumpet Honeysuckle) come to mind as a fairly easy care and somewhat perfumed choice. NOTE I said native, since the imported varieties are VERY invasive. Bignonia may survive your winters and are also somewhat strongly scented. The following is a list of native vines and their traits that includes these 2 vines and more. Native Vines of the Northeast and Great Lakes Region

The first kind of shrub that comes to mind would be roses since the bloom for much of the summer. Buddleia (aka Butterfly bush), viburnums and lilacs are also up there with strong scents. Here's a list someone has already put together with some description: Which Shrubs Smell Good? -

A nursery has a page of both vines and shrubs to think about: Merrifield Garden Center - Other Shrubs

Maybe some cleaning on a regular basis an a variety of the above planted around the coop is what is needed? Good luck.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:45 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,478 times

Butterfly Bush (Buddleia davidii) is also an invasive species for a large part of the country.

Sorry to be annoying.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:48 PM

54 posts, read 118,834 times
How about herbs? Melissa officinalis (lemon balm) multiplies quickly, smells like lemon pledge & you just cleaned up the place! Mints are also a cheap alternative in many flavors, chocolate, apple, peppermint, spearmint, pineapple, orange and my personal fave Cuban Mojito mint so you can sit back and have that cocktail and not worry about the chicken poop. You can only get the scent if they are crushed in some manner by you or the chickens or run over with the lawn mower. Clematis terniflora (sweet autumn clematis vine) has craploads of white fragrant flowers in late summer and will even cover chicken wire easily! Nepeta and Perovskia have strong scents too when bruised or brushed up against. I don't know of any one flowering plant is really going to give you a enough umph to cover stinky wet straw and poop all season long. It's time to get the shovel out!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Butterfly Bush (Buddleia davidii) is also an invasive species for a large part of the country.

Sorry to be annoying.
You got me,thanks. Not annoying at all. I should have checked more than one source to see if it was invasive or not in Michigan which is where I assumed the OP lived. I did a quick check here Midwest Invasive Species Information Network (MISIN) and didn't see it listed. If I had checked a few other sources I would have seen that in half of them Buddleia is listed for it being possibly invasive in MI, which means it is marginal and not a good idea, and I would not have made it a choice.

That said, if I had had the room this spring I would have bought one of the new Buddleia that is supposed to be both small and not invasive (sets sterile seed) yet retains all the butterfly and hummer attractions as well as the scent. Proven Winners | Lo & Behold® 'Blue Chip' - Butterfly Bush - Buddleia hybrid It sold like hotcakes at a local plant sale.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:41 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
is supposed to be both small and not invasive (sets sterile seed)
Where have I heard that before?

Oh yeahhhh...

Again... sorry to be .
If I'm not on your nerves yet, just give it some time.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:39 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
I don't know that any plant can smell so much as to cover up chicken coop odor. Usually you have to be close to the plants to really begin to smell them. I was thinking lilac bushes and roses.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post

Sorry to be annoying.
No waay. Thanks for taking the heat off me. I feel like I'm always the one telling people not to plant invasives or use dangerous chemicals. I think sometimes ppl do not always realize a plant is a "naughty" plant. You are helping.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Of course we clean out the run. BTW we are talking about a run (outside) not the coop. The coop is easy to keep clean and pleasant. We muck out the run and remove as much as practical then put in a layer of wood shavings or straw. Still they seem to mange to turn it to muck in a very short time. We are also laying in gravel from time to time to improve drainage. At times it just plain reeks, especially when it has rained every day for a week or two.

Are butterfly bushes those shrubs that get ball like flowers made up of tiny blossoms of different colors? We had those in California. Hummingbirds loved them. Roses grow poorly in Michigan and do not bloom much. Maybe we will try herbs. If nthey do not work at least we will have fresh herbs for cooking.

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Of course we clean out the run. BTW we are talking about a run (outside) not the coop. The coop is easy to keep clean and pleasant. We muck out the run and remove as much as practical then put in a layer of wood shavings or straw. Still they seem to mange to turn it to muck in a very short time. We are also laying in gravel from time to time to improve drainage. At times it just plain reeks, especially when it has rained every day for a week or two.

Are butterfly bushes those shrubs that get ball like flowers made up of tiny blossoms of different colors? We had those in California. Hummingbirds loved them. Roses grow poorly in Michigan and do not bloom much. Maybe we will try herbs. If nthey do not work at least we will have fresh herbs for cooking.

Thanks.
You have my sympathy on the smell. A lot of moisture would certainly make it more smelly.

What you are describing sounds like Lantana which come in various combinations of colors:

I'm not sure what has you convinced that roses don't grow in MI as I have seen some absolutely lovely rose gardens there. They don't do well with "wet feet" and need mostly sunny conditions. Maybe this will inspire you to try them again: https://www.msu.edu/~phill195/sp/rosehome.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden