Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:39 PM

54 posts, read 118,860 times

Advertisements

Lantana are beautiful ANNUALS (you have to replant them each year) in MI and the scent of their foliage always reminded me of citrus and cat pottie entwined! ...Let me ask you this...Do you NEED a chicken 'run'? ...I used to raise bantum hens and never needed a run, I just let them loose in the back yard in the morning and at dusk they would go back home to the coop to roost and never had a problem. The occasional hawk was an issue but it was only occasional. We had a 25 acre open field behind our home but lived in a very rural NEW subdivision. Kinda depends upon if you own other pets or if you have other issues. I adored my chickens and to this day feel they are the best pets we have ever had!! Free range, even in your own yard yields such superior egg flavor!! Not to mention there is no run STINK cuz there is no run! Good luck to you!! If you have deer.......you won't have roses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 07:22 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grape-juliet View Post
Lantana are beautiful ANNUALS (you have to replant them each year) in MI and the scent of their foliage always reminded me of citrus and cat pottie entwined! ...Let me ask you this...Do you NEED a chicken 'run'? ...I used to raise bantum hens and never needed a run, I just let them loose in the back yard in the morning and at dusk they would go back home to the coop to roost and never had a problem. The occasional hawk was an issue but it was only occasional. We had a 25 acre open field behind our home but lived in a very rural NEW subdivision. Kinda depends upon if you own other pets or if you have other issues. I adored my chickens and to this day feel they are the best pets we have ever had!! Free range, even in your own yard yields such superior egg flavor!! Not to mention there is no run STINK cuz there is no run! Good luck to you!! If you have deer.......you won't have roses!
I initially let my babies free range, but they unleashed destruction on my (and my neighbor's) garden beds. The girls seemed to enjoy kicking mulch onto paths. They scratched one of my long-coveted corydalis out of the ground, as well.

I had to finally reinforce their fencing and try to ensure they're confined to the coop area. I do let them out about an hour before dusk, though.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
We need a run. If we let them out we have to wacth them or let the dogs hang out with them. Coyotes, raccoons, hawks, bald eagles, foxes, cats . . . .

We used to have a BA rooster who kept them safe, but he lost a fight with somehting and now he is gone. Of all the chickens he had the best personality and loved humans most, we were sad to lose him. The bantams get eaten by everything. At least they can fly a little.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
You have my sympathy on the smell. A lot of moisture would certainly make it more smelly.

What you are describing sounds like Lantana which come in various combinations of colors:

I'm not sure what has you convinced that roses don't grow in MI as I have seen some absolutely lovely rose gardens there. They don't do well with "wet feet" and need mostly sunny conditions. Maybe this will inspire you to try them again: https://www.msu.edu/~phill195/sp/rosehome.htm
Yes. that is what i thought were called butterfly bushes.

My dad has roses. They bloom once a year occaisionally twice, they get few blooms. They die often. They do not grow much.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Cuban Oregano....it will overpower anything. Not a pleasant smell though.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
How about mulch? I saw a guy w/ mulch in his chicken "run" and I decided to put some in mine. It may help the smell.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:19 PM

18 posts, read 30,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes. that is what i thought were called butterfly bushes.

My dad has roses. They bloom once a year occaisionally twice, they get few blooms. They die often. They do not grow much.
I don't think you are wanting roses,,,,but.... they have come a long way since your Dad's rose garden....."Knockout Roses" bloom abundantly all season long and are very hardy even in your MI area. I like to consider them more of a blooming shrub than just a rose bush! Still all in all, I like my first suggestion of going with herbs in your particular situation! Good Luck to you and keep us posted!

Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Does rosemary grow in your area? Lavender? Something with aromatic leaves so when the chickens brush up against them they will let the scent out. How about spreading lime all over the place? Wouldn't that knock the smell down?

Old 10-19-2012, 04:23 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,413,622 times
I was gonna say, "Smelly bushes? That's obvious." Bad joke!

Old 10-19-2012, 04:37 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
You have my sympathy on the smell. A lot of moisture would certainly make it more smelly.

What you are describing sounds like Lantana which come in various combinations of colors:

I'm not sure what has you convinced that roses don't grow in MI as I have seen some absolutely lovely rose gardens there. They don't do well with "wet feet" and need mostly sunny conditions. Maybe this will inspire you to try them again: https://www.msu.edu/~phill195/sp/rosehome.htm
I've had lantanas in my garden, they has the distinct smell of cat urine when they get wet. Perhaps a gentle spray on them all day would perfume your yard with the fragrance of cat pee instead of chicken poop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden