Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 02:41 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering how easy they are to take care of cause I heard that they are . I know they are a houseplant but how much light is needed for them ? and do you have to cut them back like some palms ? a guide to them said to use a clay pot because plastic will bust ? bust from what I was wondering . I would like to hear from people who own one . Thanks in advance for any answers .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 07:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Yes, the root ball can burst a pot, which means plastic is better, because if it breaks it's cheap to replace. With too little light the branches reach for it and get reeeaaallly long and look odd. It needs a bright window. Eventually they will go yellow and need to be cut off, and new branches will come out.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:48 AM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Depends on where you live and where you grow it. Mine (15 years old) is outside in a filtered light area on a patio. Clay pots are best as they breathe. Plastic pots can cause root rot and a host of other problems. A cactus soil mix is best for growing in pots. I water mine thoroughly once every 2 weeks. I trim off the lower foilage when they turn brown. Just grab and pull down they come off easily. Wear gloves as they have serated edges on the leaves.
If you want to grow it indoors put it near a filtered light window. Here's a web site that can assist you: Ponytail Palms — How to Grow Beaucarnea Recurvata

PS: they are not real palms, just called that.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:46 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,453 times
Smile hi...

Love Pony Tail Palms...so easy to grow. They love full sun will will also flourish in filtered light. No need to cut them back as they will eventually put out some side shoots on their own. Keep them watered. If you miss a few days no need to worry. I always seem to end up bringing home 'baby pony tails' in groups of three...lolol...don't know why except they're so darn cute.
Enjoy.
Koale

Old 01-21-2012, 12:58 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Darn I almost bought a baby one for $1. on the clearance rack at Lowes today. I wish I had.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:02 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,435 times
I don't have one, but my former neighbor had one on his balcony - western sun exposure. His was in a clay pot and it did just fine.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:55 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Have several-love them...such an unusual, striking plant.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:45 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
There's a couple out in the yard. They are real easy to grow if you have the right yard, I guess.

I can't imagine you'd want to cut them back? That would make them look odd afterwards, wouldn't it?

There have been a couple growing in pots out in the yard, too, they eventually fill up the pot and have to be repotted into something bigger or planted out in the yard. I haven't a clue if you can do that where you are or not.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:07 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,866 times
They like full sun and a cactus mix soil, as they are desert plants. However, mine gets filtered light during our long winter and it keeps right on growing and does fine. Clay pots are best, go ahead and spend a little bit more, it is worth it because they will grow better and there is less chance of root rot. I seldom water mine in the winter, hardly at all, and it seems to still grow although at a slower pace. It is about 20+ years old and huge. No need to pinch back at all.

To the poster who wished they had gotten one at the store: treat yourself to one, they are remarkably easy to grow and can go without water for quite a bit of time, so if you forget to water it is no big deal. Plus, they last for years and years and years!

Old 02-04-2012, 03:22 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,360 times
Glad I clicked on this thread.
I have a red palm ponytail at work that I bought at a bazaar for $2. I never knew what kind of plan I had and I have posted pics and asked several times.

Now I know. thanks

I bought it in a paper dixie cup. Now the thing is maybe 4 feet tall and sprouted out about 2 feet diameter.

I have it in a plastic pot indoor indirect fluroscent lights and it has been doing pretty good.

Lately the tips of the leaves are yellowing and drying out. I have been told this is due to too much water. So I am going to cut back. I am TERRIBLE at taking care of plants and the lady who sold it to me said these plants are nearly impossible to kill. 3 years later I have to say she was correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden