Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:31 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,038,726 times

Advertisements

About 1 month ago i planted 12 pumpkin seeds (big & small) & 8 have started to grow nicely. I planted them in a nice dirt area (mixed dirt & manure) 37" x 27". Im looking forward to having my own pumpkins without having to buy them at the market. They should be fully grown by oct 1st. This has been on my "to do" list for 10 yrs. Better late then never. A neighbor asked me if she could have a pumpkin when they are grown fully. I told her to plant her own & she could have all the pumpkins she wants. Needless to say she ignores me now. No loss. Halloween is about 4 months away. Time sure flys by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 07:53 AM

24,434 posts, read 23,098,542 times
I was planting pumpkins this very morning. About 2 or 3 weeks ago we planted some in the dump section of our nearby cemetary. Its where they dump the excess dirt from graves as well as wreaths and plants and flowers and whatnot. We're in a very high limestone soil area but the ground is also very heavy clay. I had my shoes caked in clay and mud. Anyway I waited to see what would come up from the more than a dozen we planted on the hillside and base of the dirt pile. About 7 were growing so I tossed some miracle gro fertilizer around each one last week and this morning followed up with some epsom salts. Not owning the land( well we have a family plot in the cemetary) I'm not going to do much to fix the soil. I'm also letting them up for grabs free for the taking, human or animal. Last year we planted some and got about a half dozen of which I took two. But I planted some early sugar pumpkins today in spots that were clear and off to the side I planted some winter squash, butternut. I put some extra bone meal in the holes for these. I planted some in our garden but with limited space I had seeds left over. If ours don't grow I'll keep my eye on them.
My brother planted some pumpkins at our church in the overgrown parking lot border. He said they were really growing nice until a groundskeeper came along and weed whacked them.

Last edited by Icy Tea; 06-24-2011 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-24-2011, 09:02 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
A neighbor asked me if she could have a pumpkin when they are grown fully. I told her to plant her own & she could have all the pumpkins she wants. Needless to say she ignores me now.
I probably would, too. You couldn't spare one pumpkin?

Old 06-24-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Nope. I already promised some to family. If another one grows ill give to her but 8 out of 12 aint too bad. Pumpkins need at least 6 hrs of direct sunlight. Where mine are planted 4 seeds didnt get that but im happy to have 8.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:05 AM

845 posts, read 1,350,418 times
Last year I had one or two pumpkin plants growing. They didn't do well, probably because they were under a big pine tree. We got about about 3 small pumpkins. At the end of the year, I took those pumpkins and smashed them and placed the pieces, seeds and all, into my compost. Knowing the compost will slow down dramatically during winter, but I still added to it. I also took all of my sunflower pods and put them in the compost, thinking the seeds were all dead anyways.

Once spring time came around, I started getting things ready for gardening. I opened my compost to find a slew of pumpkin and sunflower seedlings just sprouting and thriving. I transplanted most of the pumpkins to my garden, and the sunflowers out where they used to be growing. I dumped half of my compost on my garden and over the weeks found more sunflowers and pumpkins growing around my garden. They are still sprouting today.

I do have a question though. My pumpkins are pretty small still. They haven't really grown vine-y, nor are the leaves really that big; however, they're starting to grow flowers or little florets. Should I clip those flowers off to allow more plant growth or leave them?

Old 06-26-2011, 12:01 PM

560 posts, read 1,292,807 times
Quote:

Ditto. What was he point of introducing the element of neighborly mean-spiritedness into a story about pumpkins? Takes all kinds, I guess.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
Ditto. What was he point of introducing the element of neighborly mean-spiritedness into a story about pumpkins? Takes all kinds, I guess.
I was actually going to give my neighbor a small pumpkin come oct but now im not to sure now. What is so hard about her planting the seeds herself ? Its very simple & requires watering 2xs a week here in the hot ca climate. My lil pumpkin patch is coming along fine. Sure it took me 10 yrs to do it but i finally did & im not giving away all my pumpkins. TYVM.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,980,071 times
Quote:
I was actually going to give my neighbor a small pumpkin come oct but now im not to sure now. What is so hard about her planting the seeds herself ? Its very simple & requires watering 2xs a week here in the hot ca climate. My lil pumpkin patch is coming along fine. Sure it took me 10 yrs to do it but i finally did & im not giving away all my pumpkins. TYVM.
I don't understand why others attack you for not wanting to give away your pumkins. You have a small patch, a 3'X2' area, yet you're growing 12 pumpkin plants??? I would think 2 plants is crowding in that tiny patch of land.

I was actually thinking that it is presumpteous of your neighbor to ask for a "free one" before they even grow. A polite neighbor would appreciate your hard work and congratulate you on a job well-done instead of "hey, can I have one after all your hard work paid off?". If I was you, I would replied exactly the same "hey, grow your own. Put in your own sweat, time and effort, THEN taste your own harvest!".

Old 06-27-2011, 06:04 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Quote:
Nope. I already promised some to family.
Why didn't you just say that, instead of being a smartass and telling her to grow her own?

Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Why didn't you just say that, instead of being a smartass and telling her to grow her own?
My exact words to her was "if you get some punpkin seeds you can plant your own". I actually wasnt mean to her but i was busy that day & it was 102 degrees & it just wasnt the right time to ask. My lil pumpkin patch is in a very small area in the front of my home & i know the pumpkins will be crowding each other when the time comes. I wanted to orig plant in the back yard but i have way too much shade. Pumkin seeds are available at the hardware store nearby here. I just dont see why some people cant plant their own stuff. I would love to have a garden of fruits & vegtables & cat nip but its too time consuming for me at this time. TYVM for your concern & have a nice day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden