Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:07 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times

Advertisements

I have decided to remove a decent size area of pampass grass a p/o had planted. I have a small yard and it is a good area I could use to grow things I would enjoy more.

Now the problem is trying to figure out the least painful way of getting rid of it.

I have options of cutting it down, digging it up by hand or using roundup on it. The other suggestion I have heard is to use thick dark plastic after it's cut down and cover it and hope that kills it.

I have plants around it and would like to use the space to plant in so I hesitate to use the round up.

Has anyone here effectively gotten rid of pampas grass or heard something that works well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 11:59 AM

560 posts, read 1,291,884 times
Are you sure it’s pampas grass in Missouri? I thought that was a zone 7 plant at best. Anyhow, if it is pampas grass then it has really sharp leaf edges, so cover up (long sleeves and gloves) before doing anything with it. I learned the hard way.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:00 PM

Well I can't say for sure the name of it but it is a very similar grass. It's a tall, wide clump with slender long blades and plumes that are not as feathery as pampas grass but plumes still that come in late summer early fall.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:05 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
If what you would plant there is something for people to eat I wouldn't think a weed killer all that great.

Maybe if the law allows you can burn it down, then till the area, and pull the roots. If not cut it down, and then till the area. before you grow much of anything it's likey tilling will need to happen. You can rent a tiller.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:44 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Machete and leather gloves are the best way to remove pampas grass.

You could spray it after you chop it down to 6-10 inches maximum. Roundup is fine if you wait at least two weeks and water the area well as the chemical is water soluble and breaks down quickly with oxidization in wet ground.

You could also try high concentrations of vinegar. Make sure to clean the sprayer immediately after each use.

I would not burn the root balls unless you are on a farm, ranch, country etc... Dig them up for disposal. Rototill only after all remnants of the grass is removed.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:19 PM

I probably won't burn it because I have plants near. The round up is a bit scary too because I have roses and an azalea close enough to the area I worry about drifting but it's looking like I might have to if I can find a day that isn't rainy or windy lol. Either way I guess I'll be digging eventually.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:59 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Digging? Your a glutton for punishment. Rent a tiller I bet you can do that over a few days and not break the bank. Won't what ever else you plant need tilled soil anyway?

Digging is something I would do..... Comon' you must be brighter than I am...

Old 05-16-2011, 05:01 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I removed two large clumps of pampas grass by digging it out. The roots were shallow so it wasn't too hard. Once I got it started they came out in big clumps.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:36 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
I had one in my front yard that I burned then dug up the root ball.

I use to spray paint the plums different colors. I had to stop painting them because so many people would knock on my door to try and find where I purchased it from.

busta

Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I had one in my front yard that I burned then dug up the root ball.

I use to spray paint the plums different colors. I had to stop painting them because so many people would knock on my door to try and find where I purchased it from.

busta
Oh LOL I love that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden