Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:55 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times

Advertisements

Apologies straight up if this subject has been discussed here.....

I am determined this year to use non-chemical insecticides in my rose gardens as much as possible. For the present moment, I am focusing on aphids which love to suck the new shoots in early spring. I heard that a dilute solution of vinegar and water will kill aphids. Is this true? And if it is true, what is the ratio water to vinegar?

I am also asking if anyone has success with this method of killing aphids.

IF vinegar and water is not a good insecticide for aphids, what else would you suggest? I am trying to go as green as possible here.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 04:29 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,565,299 times
Well, I always sprayed them off with a heavy stream. I also used a couple tsp of dawn dish soap to a spary bottle of water

Old 04-27-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyninfl View Post
Well, I always sprayed them off with a heavy stream. I also used a couple tsp of dawn dish soap to a spary bottle of water
I've tried both methods and the aphids immediately are back.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:30 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyninfl View Post
Yep, me too. I blast them to kingdom come with a water hose. And yes, they do come back. I just keep blowing them away with the hose, hoping the roses stay one step ahead of the aphids.

You win some you lose some.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Yep, me too. I blast them to kingdom come with a water hose. And yes, they do come back. I just keep blowing them away with the hose, hoping the roses stay one step ahead of the aphids.

You win some you lose some.
And then you have to have to worry about black spot with all the water being sprayed on the roses. I avoid the water now, for that very reason.

Good luck seeing a rose stay ahead of the aphids. Although, I must admit, the healthier rose bushes that I have aren't hit as hard as those that are struggling. Yep, even in the plant kingdom, the weak get suckered.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Has the OP tried purchasing/releasing ladybugs?

How to Release Ladybugs Into the Garden | eHow.com

http://www.ehow.com/how_4699138_attr...bugs-yard.html

Old 04-27-2011, 08:06 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Order you a bag of lady bugs and drop them on your rose bushes and the aphids will be gone.

busta

Old 04-28-2011, 06:58 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,587 times
If you're going to limit yourself to sprays, I don't think there is a non chemical solution to keeping aphids off roses. The chemical solution is to use a systemic insecticide or a contact insecticide with a long residual. A spray of soapy water does work, but it only kills the aphids that are actually sprayed. If new bugs move in, or if you missed some, you will have to spray again.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Lifelong, have you tried this? Do the ladybugs actually stay in the area where you release them? I have one huge rose bed and several smaller ones, so if I were to put these ladybugs right in the gardens, they wouldn't fly away? No, I haven't read your threads yet, but I am right now. THANK YOU!

OK. I just looked at the links. Another way besides the ladybugs is to sprinkle Diatamateous Earth on the soil. Hmmm......since I have DE I am going to give this a try. It's extremely windy here today and it is NOT a good idea to sprinkle the DE on the ground. I love these forums, because one idea leads to another....I really thank you Lifelong!!

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 04-28-2011 at 08:11 AM..

Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
I was going to suggest DE before I read your last post. Only problem is it will get washed off in the rain. But you can just put it back on and it is safe! When I use to work with plants as a job we use to use a fine spray of rubbing alcohol. It dries fast and doesn't hurt the plant if used sparingly but again that is a quick fix and doesn't do much for future aphids. I love the ideas of ladybugs but everytime I bought some they flew away. Maybe I did something wrong? Systemic insecticide works well but again this is a poison and if you are like me I do not like using poisons. I do when I get desperate and have exhausted all other suggestions. Try the DE and stay diligent. It won't hurt the enviroment or any other critters except the insects--not even the earth worms! Good luck. Let us know how this works because I just may do it too!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 04-28-2011 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden