Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:11 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I was going to suggest DE before I read your last post. Only problem is it will get washed off in the rain. But you can just put it back on and it is safe! When I use to work with plants as a job we use to use a fine spray of rubbing alcohol. It dries fast and doesn't hurt the plant if use sparingly but again that is a quick fix and doesn't do much for future aphids. I love the ideas of ladybugs but everytime I bought some they flew away. Maybe I did something wrong? Systemic insecticide works well but again this is a poison and if you are like me I do not like using poisons. I do when I get desperate and have exhausted all other suggestions. Try the DE and stay diligent. It won't hurt the enviroment or any other critters except the insects--not even the earth worms! Good luck. Let us know how this works because I just may do it too!
I am learning that anything "green" you have to be diligent. Rain washes things away.....and some springs, where I live it is a BUMMER for all the rain we get. BUT, I have a 50 pound bag of DE and I am using it. (and for other purposes as well!)

And to combat the Japanese Beetles that LOVE my roses......I know OT...but......I am putting Milky Spore on my grass and in my gardens. It's expensive but to decrease those nasty bugs I'll do it! If it's not aphids it's Japanese Beetles. grrrrrr.......And one other product that I have not used yet, is called Scanmask, which is beneficial Nematodes that kill insects. Ooops, I just read the directions and is says to keep refrigerated. Oh boy, I hope this still works........As you can see.......I'm really trying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
I am and have been a long time fan of DE! I use it for my feral cats and on my personal cats and dog, around my home and am looking at it for my garden use now. Where I live rains are a way of life like your area--but it does keep it green! The uses for DE are non-ending. I'm just now trying to convience our animal rescues and Humain society of the values it has. It's a slow process but everything worthwhile takes time!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I am and have been a long time fan of DE! I use it for my feral cats and on my personal cats and dog, around my home and am looking at it for my garden use now. Where I live rains are a way of life like your area--but it does keep it green! The uses for DE are non-ending. I'm just now trying to convience our animal rescues and Humain society of the values it has. It's a slow process but everything worthwhile takes time!
OMG! My teeth just about fell out of my head when I read your post! I just got rammed to the nth degree in another forum because I dared to post that I use food grade DE in my cats' food for a source of Silica AND as a means to eliminate parasites. I also use it on myself as well, and have seen a huge difference in my energy level. Where were you when I needed you??? I'm still bleeding from the "claws" that were dug into me for even saying that oh yeah, DE has endless uses!!!! I LOVE DE! and THANK YOU for clarifying this for me!!

.......waiting for wind to die down to get DE in my gardens.......I'll let everyone know how DE works!...Come on winds, die down already!!!

Tried to rep you but ya know how that goes.....have to spread some around first.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
OMG! My teeth just about fell out of my head when I read your post! I just got rammed to the nth degree in another forum because I dared to post that I use food grade DE in my cats' food for a source of Silica AND as a means to eliminate parasites. I also use it on myself as well, and have seen a huge difference in my energy level. Where were you when I needed you??? I'm still bleeding from the "claws" that were dug into me for even saying that oh yeah, DE has endless uses!!!! I LOVE DE! and THANK YOU for clarifying this for me!!

.......waiting for wind to die down to get DE in my gardens.......I'll let everyone know how DE works!...Come on winds, die down already!!!

Tried to rep you but ya know how that goes.....have to spread some around first.
I am very careful where I post on CD. Anyone who would not agree with DE is uneducated in the product in my opinion. There is a very poison type DE used in pools perhaps that was what they thought you were talking about. Still they should have questioned instead of judged. Sad..I can probably guess where that happened to you..I stopped going there because of those kind of people.
Indeed if you really are informed and have spent as much time as I have working with animals you learn to research products for their benefits and their dangers. People are creatures of habit often times anything new scares them. I have been using DE for over 8 years now, even use it to clean my teeth once in awhile--works like a charm! There is nothing harmful in the FOOD grade DE--infact it is used in food storage. Those who do not understand DE need to do more research and then come back and post! It is a totally natural safe product. I have a 23 year old cat that will agree with me here!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:36 AM

Had to laugh--bingo--you had posted on the part of CD I thought you did.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:43 AM

Happy Birthday G O Eden!!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Happy Birthday G O Eden!!
Again teeth falling out of head. How did you know? OH! Ya must have peeked at my profile.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Had to laugh--bingo--you had posted on the part of CD I thought you did.
Yeppers and I am stayin' away. Already DM's are coming in begging me to come back but THEY aren't willing to get hissed at and brutally slashed. Oh, nope. Me and that forum . Tried for as long as I could. Let's talk flowers. (grin!)

Old 04-28-2011, 11:38 AM

Flowers are good--you can also talk about critters, life and even weather and get total support--just have to find the right forums.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:58 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
I've been pretty successful with mixing water, denatured alcohol and Murphy's Oil Soap into a spray bottle. I don't think a measured mix is necessary, I would suggest about half water, half alcohol, and a teaspoon of oil soap to about a quart. I just spray when I see the petite batards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden