Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:31 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,797,730 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing lately that a good way to save some money is to look at the store's website before you go in.

Last winter when I bought some appliances, Best Buy's website was 20% cheaper than the store price. I asked the store to give me the same price as the website, and saved a couple hundred dollars.

Today I was looking at some electronics in Wal-Mart and used their website to look up some details on the different models I was considering. The web price was 15% cheaper after shipping, and the store wouldn't match their price on the web, I made my choice I ordered it online.

Try it out sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 07:15 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,690,657 times
Ordering on line often avoids sales tax and B&M store cost overhead that adds big bucks to any
price.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:10 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,097,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Ordering on line often avoids sales tax and B&M store cost overhead that adds big bucks to any
price.
Ordering online only avoids sales tax if you commit tax fraud. If you don't pay sales tax on an item you are suppose to pay use tax on it with your state's return. Now of course, most people don't pay it and its hard to show, but its tax fraud nonetheless.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:59 AM

172 posts, read 510,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I've been noticing lately that a good way to save some money is to look at the store's website before you go in.

Last winter when I bought some appliances, Best Buy's website was 20% cheaper than the store price. I asked the store to give me the same price as the website, and saved a couple hundred dollars.

Today I was looking at some electronics in Wal-Mart and used their website to look up some details on the different models I was considering. The web price was 15% cheaper after shipping, and the store wouldn't match their price on the web, I made my choice I ordered it online.

Try it out sometime.
I have ran into this too. Some stores will not match their own online prices. I wonder what the reasoning is for this. Can anybody in the industry answer this question please?

Old 06-06-2009, 11:19 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,839,678 times
I buy everything I can on line.

Much on-line pricing is lower that in-store pricing, not only because of the sales tax, but sometimes they make allowances for the shipping costs to better compete with the stores.

Even when the total price is higher because of shipping costs, when you factor in the gas, the time, and the nuisance factor of shopping in the stores, the convenience of having it delivered right to your door usually wins hands down.

But, buying on line can be hit and miss. Sometimes clothes and shoes have to be tried on to insure a good fit, and you just can't do that on-line. Returning and exchanging on-line purchases are a real pain.

And then there's "browsing" and "window shopping" and the on-line experience doesn't come anywhere near the real thing.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:22 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,690,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Ordering online only avoids sales tax if you commit tax fraud. If you don't pay sales tax on an item you are suppose to pay use tax on it with your state's return. Now of course, most people don't pay it and its hard to show, but its tax fraud nonetheless.
How is it fraud? There is no sales tax due by law unless the business has
a brick & mortor store in the state where the item is sold to.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
How is it fraud? There is no sales tax due by law unless the business has
a brick & mortor store in the state where the item is sold to.
If the business has no presence in the state than it does not have to collect sales tax, instead it is your responsibility to pay the tax and such is called "use tax". You are suppose to pay it with your state return.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:51 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,248,829 times
Quote:
If the business has no presence in the state than it does not have to collect sales tax, instead it is your responsibility to pay the tax and such is called "use tax". You are suppose to pay it with your state return.
We don't have a state return in Texas... So I guess we can go in under the radar...

Old 06-07-2009, 03:11 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,352,876 times
Quote:
Oh for God's sake! I am not going to keep track of everything I buy from an online retailer in some other state and turn in the tax money to my state. I don't think so. We'd have to pay sales tax on everything we buy on vacation too! Too much paperwork if you ask me.

I'd like to see that enforced, anyway, how the hell would they do it?

In any event, I no longer have children in diapers, but I did just notice when I was shopping online at BJ's and Costco, that the diaper prices looked pretty cheap, $10 off a case, and you NEVER see a discount like that at the store, and that included shipping. I didn't fully research the prices, but it looked like there was money to be saved, at least on diapers (and no need to take a newborn out shopping)

Old 06-07-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
We don't have a state return in Texas... So I guess we can go in under the radar...
Nah, you have a use tax form:

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinf...rms/01-156.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living