Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 04:38 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Oh for God's sake! I am not going to keep track of everything I buy from an online retailer in some other state and turn in the tax money to my state. I don't think so. We'd have to pay sales tax on everything we buy on vacation too! Too much paperwork if you ask me.
Well what you don't want to do does not change the tax laws, one could easily say the same thing about business returns "I don't want to keep track of everything...I don't think so". Also, items purchased while on vocation don't usually apply, you are paying the other states sale tax on them after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 05:57 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
If the business has no presence in the state than it does not have to collect sales tax, instead it is your responsibility to pay the tax and such is called "use tax". You are suppose to pay it with your state return.
Not so in my state. If this applies to your state then you are correct but
it doesn't in mine so my statement is also true.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:29 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Away from taxes, which is OT, and back to the idea of online vs. brick and mortar. What I have found is that you have to have a sense of what the real value of a product is. A while back, I was in Lowes and found a three way extension cord splitter (three sockets and one plug to go on the end of an extension cord). The price was over $5. Saw the exact same product advertised at Harbor Freight for less than a buck.

Looked at over-the-stove microwaves online and in the stores. Most folks don't realize that these are pretty standard in components from brand to brand and that the differences are largely cosmetic and the control board. I found prices ranging from $230 with shipping included, to well over $600 for comparable models.

If I could figure out how to do it, I think I could make a ton of money being a professional shopper. Between the comparison shopping sites and doing some research, I could cut the costs for most people by 30% or more without raising a sweat.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:55 PM

9 posts, read 29,786 times
Yep, gota have that tax id, I only pay taxes on my website to people who buy my products in my home state, check out my link on my profile.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:17 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,727 times
That's interesting. I am not much of a shopper, but I will be keeping that in mind next time I need to purchase something. Thank you.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:52 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Ordering online only avoids sales tax if you commit tax fraud. If you don't pay sales tax on an item you are suppose to pay use tax on it with your state's return. Now of course, most people don't pay it and its hard to show, but its tax fraud nonetheless.

No sales tax in Oregon.

I never realized -- the facts the OP presented. Excellent thread!

I'll double check online before shopping from now on!

Kate

Old 09-30-2009, 07:52 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
No sales tax in Oregon.
Yes...but you also don't pay sales tax on purchases from brick and mortar retailers. The states that have a sales tax all have a use tax, you're suppose to pay sales tax on any taxable item regardless of whether the retailer charged you tax or not.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:55 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
My DH generally orders his auto parts on line and specifies he will pick it up at the local store. He goes in and pays at the store, too, using the online price. He has been known to take his laptop with him just in case he needs to shop online while at the store.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:03 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

My DH generally orders his auto parts on line and specifies he will pick it up at the local store.
Many stores, WalMart included, have free site to store shipping.
So, you can order it on-line and have it shipped to your local store where you can pick it up and save the shipping cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living