Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 12:49 AM

10,218 posts, read 7,673,610 times

Advertisements

Anyone have an idea, or a heads up, on the best places to pick up a turkey deal for Thanksgiving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 01:28 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,183,737 times
I'm guessing there won't be as many this year. We've had two years of poor turkey production so the frozen birds from this year are the ones from the poor season last year. This year didn't make up the slack, either, so no good turkey deals next year either. But, there's hope for the year after that. I forget which year is what, but there was a widespread drought which cut into turkey production one year and the other year it was avian flu which decimated the flocks.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:30 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,734,511 times
Do you mean a cooked Thanksgiving dinner? Safeway has a good deal. It was in the latest ad. I think it was only around $40 for a complete meal for a family.

If you just mean turkeys, I've been seeing them advertised for just 99 cents per pound. I think that was Grocery Outlet.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:50 AM

32,798 posts, read 48,641,741 times
I used to load up the freezer during the Thanksgiving turkey wars. But the last two years, the "bargain" birds became too expensive. Sure, you could get a bird for 19 cents a pound, but had to buy $100 worth of groceries in order to get the cheap bird. The places with that deal are expensive grocery stores. I can buy the same groceries for $50 in the less expensive stores, instead of spending $100 for them. It's not worth spending $100 to get a cheap turkey.

I guess it is time to start checking the ads, looking for loss leader turkeys. I'm not optimistic.

Non-promotional bargain birds were a good price at Winco and Costco. Birds that you could just buy a bird and not have to buy a bunch of other stuff. Turkeys from Winco have been good. The turkeys I bought from Costco were badly bruised, so I am afraid to buy turkeys there again. Good price for turkey, non-promotional, is over $1 a pound.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'm guessing there won't be as many this year. We've had two years of poor turkey production so the frozen birds from this year are the ones from the poor season last year. This year didn't make up the slack, either, so no good turkey deals next year either. But, there's hope for the year after that. I forget which year is what, but there was a widespread drought which cut into turkey production one year and the other year it was avian flu which decimated the flocks.
Thanks for the heads up on that. No, I didn't know that. I will plan for not being able to get a great deal this year, then. Maybe I'll luck out, anyway. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Do you mean a cooked Thanksgiving dinner? Safeway has a good deal. It was in the latest ad. I think it was only around $40 for a complete meal for a family.

If you just mean turkeys, I've been seeing them advertised for just 99 cents per pound. I think that was Grocery Outlet.
Thanks. Yes, I mean raw turkeys. I'll check that out.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:04 AM

23,698 posts, read 70,922,738 times
Around here, they are available at around 80 cents per pound in various stores. The last time I got one, I weighed the cooked meat that I was able to get off the bird and compared it to the raw weight. I estimated that the real price of the cooked meat was around $3.50/lb. The leg tendons on many of these birds are so numerous that while you might gnaw on a leg on the first meal out of the oven, trying to remove meat for freezing is a waste of time. I've also had two small oven fires in the past because of the over-injection of the oil/fat/grease used as tenderizer. Then there is the defrosting BS. Supposedly you defrost in a refrigerator. Right. I had one 20 pounder in a refrigerator for six days and it was STILL frozen inside. I finally figured out to cut the things up BEFORE cooking so that the legs weren't burnt incense sticks while the meat thermometer was reading 120 internal temperature. In the Turkey friers, you can pay as much for the oil as the turkey.

While the 80 cent per pound might look like a good deal, the labor, effort and waste make it more sensible to cook a cannonball and go to McDonald's for Tday dinner. If the breast is on sale, I might cook one of those. Otherwise, I've cooked my last turkey.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:14 PM

16,415 posts, read 30,476,088 times
I see Meijer's in Ohio has a turkey for $0.59/lb and several others for under a dollar.

I have cooked thousands of whole turkeys and never once encountered the problems of the poster above. It is actually about one of the easiest roasts to cook. Most turkeys lose about 25% of their weight in the oven.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:30 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,205,817 times
I think it would be useful if the poster could at least name the region of the U.S. they are posting from, as food prices are variable across the country. Like jlawrence, above, I have been roasting whole turkeys for years and never had any problem with cooking. The lowest price I have seen so far for turkeys [off-brand=Norbest] is $.77/lb. It is possible there may be better deals coming out with a minimum purchase, but I haven't seen them yet. I live in Phoenix.

One of my favorite foods of the season are sweet potatoes/yams. Cheapest I have seen them so far is .99/lb.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:34 PM

45,856 posts, read 61,293,522 times
The Safeway district in MD I'm in had frozen store brands (20+ pounds) for $.59/lb. yesterday. I don't know if there's a minimum purchase. Our turkey is $4.50/lb. (organic, farm raised, slaughtered on Monday prior).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living