Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:50 PM

306 posts, read 546,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Did you get the Moto G? If so. How do you like it? If you have decent coverage with Sprint in your area this is definitely the way to go, as you will have a phone to use at home as well as a cell phone when your out. I have the Ooma and I'm pleased with it, as you can have all the phones you want all over the house.
So those two would make a good combo. You would pay about $4.50 a month in taxes for your Ooma, and $10 mo. for your Republic cell phone. So for less than $15 you have a home phone and a cell phone. Of course your toast if your internet goes out. I also keep a T-Mobile regular pre-pay phone on hand for those emergencies.
Actually I got a used Moto X and I really like it. It took a little bit of time to learn how to use it as I've been using iPhones for the past 7 years, but I've adapted and it's fine now. I'm still thinking about getting Ooma but for now my Republic Wireless phone works great and I think I'll go for as long as possible with just that. And you're right, just $10 a month for Republic! Can't beat that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 01:59 PM

306 posts, read 546,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Of course your toast if your internet goes out. I also keep a T-Mobile regular pre-pay phone on hand for those emergencies.

Modhatter, I forgot to comment on one little thing that you said ("you're toast if your internet goes out")

Actually, that's not true. My internet did go out about 3 weeks ago and believe it or not, it stayed off for 11 days after some storms we had recently. Part of that was my fault because I was "in discussions" with CenturyLink (the provider) who claimed that the issue was in my home or with my modem (i.e. then wanting me to purchase another $100 modem). Long story short, it turned out to be a problem with their equipment, my modem and the line in my home were both find. The experience however made me like Republic Wireless even more! My cell switched to Sprint immediately, and although for a couple days it kept trying to pick up my WiFi signal, I finally disconnected my modem and it stopped trying to do that. So I had Sprint's 3G service for the 11 days, was able to make and receive international calls on my Magic Jack app, and the only things I couldn't use were my other apps (financial podcasts that I listen to and WhatsApp for international texting). Everything else worked wonderfully well. Of course I didn't have internet service, but that's only because I'm on the $10 plan which doesn't have internet service when using 3G, but does on WiFi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living