Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:45 PM

741 posts, read 1,750,319 times

Advertisements

For last couple of years I had been using Family Mobile from Walmart (which uses T-Mobile network) and then for last 6 months switched to T-Mobile itself (Stupid me...), I ended up paying additional $30 per month (due to all hidden fees + taxes) without good reception for last 6 months...

I heard AT&T and Verizon has good service in the area where I live..

So I am thinking of switching to other cheap mobile service provider such as Cricket Wireless, which I beleive uses AT&T network. Also it appears that Metro PCS has started their service back in South Carolina,state where I live in. As per Metro PCS customer service rep. Metro PCS uses 30% T-Mobile network and 70% AT&T network (not sure how true it is) I am wondering if I should switch to Cricket Wireless or Metro PCS?

Please advise...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 08:55 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,191,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I was pretty happy with Metro PCS Mobile Phone Provider, with unlimited voice, text and data for me and my wife. The whole plan costed $80 per month combined for us.

Now, that I have relocated to South Carolina (Myrtle Beach) area, Metro PCS is asking me to switch to a new provider, since they do not provide service in South Carolina.

Please advice the economical mobile phone service providers that provides service at a price comparable to the current cost or less with unlimited voice, text and preferably data capability

Regards!
What there asking you to switch providers metro pcs runs off of t mobile

Old 12-12-2015, 06:35 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I was pretty happy with Metro PCS Mobile Phone Provider, with unlimited voice, text and data for me and my wife. The whole plan costed $80 per month combined for us.

Now, that I have relocated to South Carolina (Myrtle Beach) area, Metro PCS is asking me to switch to a new provider, since they do not provide service in South Carolina.

Please advice the economical mobile phone service providers that provides service at a price comparable to the current cost or less with unlimited voice, text and preferably data capability

Regards!
It depends on how many minutes you use in a year or month that dictates which one is cheapest.

Cheapest for very low users is Tracfone, according to my research of a few years ago. So I have Tracfone. I bought the phone for about $30 (an LG "triple minutes" touch phone, which is okay; not a smartphone). I buy 400 minute 365-day card for $99, which means my phone gets 1200 minutes (it's a triple-minute phone) for the year. At the end of a year, I have to buy more minutes. My minutes I haven't used roll over.

So my phone costs $99 a year ($8.25 a month), plus the initial cost several years ago of $35. Tracfone also has a $50 charge you can use instead of buying more minutes, to extend your service a year without buying minutes. I used that last year, since I had several thousand minutes accumulated. So last year's cost was $50 ($4.16/month).

I use less than 400 minutes a year most years. But if I used my phone daily or almost daily, other services would cost less. AT&T Go Phone would cost a little less for a higher user (but if you use few minutes, it would cost more than Tracfone).

Tracfone does offer service for a few smartphones, but I'm unfamiliar with that, since I don't need a smartphone.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:13 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
T-mobile (be sure to get their $30/mo plan) or Virgin Mobile.. check their coverage maps first.
Isn't the $30 plan limited to 100 minutes talk?

Old 12-12-2015, 11:15 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
I like Boost Mobile, you can even get good used Sprint phones (as long as service isn't active on Sprint) and put the phone on Boost. I think the current offer is unlimited talk/text 2 gigs 4g data $30 tax included.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:30 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,913 times
Ringplus.com has phone plans that are completely free. It doesn't get much cheaper than that. It runs on the Sprint network using Sprint compatable phones. The catch is when calling someone you listen to an advertisement or music in place of the ringing sound until the person picks up. Texts and Data work normaly like how they would anyways.

Their plans change all of the time. The one I got is for 1000 minutes, 1000 texts, and 1000 mb of data.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:26 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
So my phone costs $99 a year ($8.25 a month), plus the initial cost several years ago of $35. Tracfone also has a $50 charge you can use instead of buying more minutes, to extend your service a year without buying minutes. I used that last year, since I had several thousand minutes accumulated. So last year's cost was $50 ($4.16/month).
I think that is a good option. Verizon Prepaid PAYGO keeps making you purchase $100 for a new year and accumulate more minutes. Then last month Verizon Prepaid terminated their PAYGO plan and their lowest price plan is now $15/month for flip phones (300 minutes per month).

Old 12-15-2015, 11:50 AM

531 posts, read 758,114 times
Another option is lycamobile.
$.02 call/receive voice, $.04/txt out, $.00/txt receive, no data
Wifi with Hangout is always free.
I Charged my first Lyca $10.00 about 3+ years ago, my account still has $2+ left.
I believe 800 call is also free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living