Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,399,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Well there are a number of reasons for that.

1 - The Canadian government does impose some price controls on what drug companies can charge to distributors. However, these price controls can often prevent newer medications from being made available. (and, interestingly enough, these price controls do not apply to generic drugs; as a result there are often many generic versions of drugs that are actually cheaper in the U.S. then in Canada).

2 - Pharma companies in Canada spend much less on liability insurance than those based in the U.S. Blame our sue-happy culture in the States for that one.

3 - A much larger percentage of research and development of new drugs takes place in American pharma companies compared to those in other countries. The higher cost of drugs in the States allows for this level of R&D.

4 - On average, the standard of living in Canada tends to be lower than for those living in the U.S., which also has an effect on the costs of various types of products, including medications.

Oh, yes, Canada is a real #ellhole, I would rather live in Detroit than Windsor any day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 02:55 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,700,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
[/b]

Oh, yes, Canada is a real #ellhole, I would rather live in Detroit than Windsor any day!
Who said Canada is a Hellhole? Heck, Vancouver is one of the most beutiful cities I have ever visited.

I apologize if the above-discribed concept was too difficult to solicit a reasoned response, requiring a hollow attempt at sarcasm instead.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
that is ebcause canada controls their prices and even has laws to void prescrition rihghts laws in cases of emergency. basically the US buyer is subsidising the ir prescriptions by payig higher cost. 70% of precsription reserch is in US and much of that is paid for by our markets.Nothing different from susidising of many medical cost across the market even within the US itself.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Who said Canada is a Hellhole? Heck, Vancouver is one of the most beutiful cities I have ever visited.

I apologize if the above-discribed concept was too difficult to solicit a reasoned response, requiring a hollow attempt at sarcasm instead.

Ummm...its saracasm, guess its different in Canada? You don't get it---I used to live in Detroit, across from Windsor, difference like day and night........oh, well.........work with it, it will come!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:02 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ummm...its saracasm, guess its different in Canada? You don't get it---I used to live in Detroit, across from Windsor, difference like day and night........oh, well.........work with it, it will come!

But you WILL receive treatment much quicker in a Detroit hospital than its counterpart in Windsor. And there are a lot of Canadians who rely on that.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
But you WILL receive treatment much quicker in a Detroit hospital than its counterpart in Windsor. And there are a lot of Canadians who rely on that.

That's interesting.....I haven't been back to either place for years, so I wouldn't know I just remember Windsor being much nicer than Detroit, but, of course, Detroit is dying.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living