Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,419,547 times

Advertisements

I would think that removing the grapes from the stems (at the store) would shorten their frig life once you got home?

We eat alot of produce - I wonder how much I could save if I carried this to the exterme? Peeled oranges and bananas before leaving the store? Stripped down things like onions and lettuce?

Old 04-03-2012, 11:56 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,867,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I would think that removing the grapes from the stems (at the store) would shorten their frig life once you got home?
?
It does shorten their life. Maybe he eats them in time, I don't know, but you are exposing them to air when you do that. It is just like pre-peeling a banana.

I have said it before on this forum...to me it's really easy to tell the difference between frugal and cheap.

When you tell me how you managed to save money and I say "Oh, that's so clever." then it is frugal.

When you tell me how you managed to save money and I say "Oh, that's so embarassing." then it is cheap.

When someone pulls flowers out of a dumpster to give to his wife. When someone stares at fellow diners in a restaurant to see if they are going to finish their appetizer so you can go accost them for it....

I don't find those things to be clever.

I think a lot of people like this, and on those "coupon clippers" shows, and also now that I think about it, also like those people on "Hoarders" are not actually doing this to save money. I think they are addressing some kind of psychological need. Sort of like people who cut themselves. It's not about the money...it's about the satisfaction of shopping.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:14 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,674,801 times
I'm going to start saving the lint from my dryer to make sweaters!

Old 04-03-2012, 01:33 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,855,369 times
Reasons for not asking for a doggie bag.

(1) You won't be near a fridge within 2-3 hours as you're not going straight home
(2) You're on vacation and your hotel room doesn't have a kitchen.
(3) The food will reheat poorly
(4) Food was gross
(5) Food was great but you ate so much the very though of eating it again tomorrow makes you feel ill.
(6) You suspect you're already eating left over food.
(7) You, or someone at the table found a pubic hair in their steak

Old 04-03-2012, 01:40 PM

5,364 posts, read 8,606,007 times
I prefer not to have leftovers from restaurants. Even if I can get them home in time, I don't like the taste of most restaurant food when its reheated.

I try to order something small or share with someone if I know I am going somewhere that serves huge portions.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:56 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,383,249 times
You know, the entire point of being frugal is to have enough money to enjoy the things that matter. Otherwise it just becomes an obsessive mental illness.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:16 PM

16,952 posts, read 16,838,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
What about used toilet paper?
That's completely nasty and unsanitary ...

Old 04-03-2012, 04:21 PM

16,952 posts, read 16,838,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Reasons for not asking for a doggie bag.

(1) You won't be near a fridge within 2-3 hours as you're not going straight home
(2) You're on vacation and your hotel room doesn't have a kitchen.
(3) The food will reheat poorly
(4) Food was gross
(5) Food was great but you ate so much the very though of eating it again tomorrow makes you feel ill.
(6) You suspect you're already eating left over food.
(7) You, or someone at the table found a pubic hair in their steak

Things that work great for doggy bag take homes : (if you have a room fridge or home fridge)

Cake
Chicken Breast
Salad
Chips

Things are gross after being in the doggy bag awhile:

Fish
Shrimp
Rice
Turnips

I see see why some don't want to take certain foods home because once they get cold, it's yuck!....

I have never found a pubic hair in my steak...it makes you wonder where and "why" their hands were in their "nether-regions" ???

Old 04-03-2012, 04:32 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,855,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I have never found a pubic hair in my steak...it makes you wonder where and "why" their hands were in their "nether-regions" ???
Ex-cook faces jail after putting hair in steak - US news - Weird news - Criminal weirdness - msnbc.com

Old 04-05-2012, 11:28 PM

23,426 posts, read 29,335,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, the entire point of being frugal is to have enough money to enjoy the things that matter. Otherwise it just becomes an obsessive mental illness.
Extreme tightwads, IMO, are on a par with drug addicts, alcoholics and workaholics, very hard, if not impossible, to rehabilitate these people. I've never met a reformed tightwad yet! It gets into their blood, like heroin or crack, the never-ending challenge of getting something for free, or next to nothing! They find bargains, and suck the last drop of blood out of each and every one of them!

My frugality always takes me to a goal of spending the money to enjoy anything, a trip, that will bring about a calmer, more peaceful death some day.

More than likely, his children, heirs to his miserliness, are the last ones to object to his menal illness, as they have their calculators going every single day, how much more they'll inherit some day! They can well-overlook the garage sale gifts at Xmas and their birthdays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.