Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:04 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Where are the $240 in USDA Food Stamps in all of this?
OP doesn't mention anything about having Food Stamps available for use...if she did she wouldn't need to keep her food budget at $150 for her family of 4...

the toddlers NEED to have adequate nutrition as they are still growing and developing...be ever mindful of that fact as that will have an effect on their health as they get older...

My suggestions are these:
shop the sales and buy store brands as much as possible...they tend to be cheaper in price than the name brands and are of comparable quality for the most part...buy whole chickens and cut them up yourself,most cookbooks show how to do that. When turkeys are on sale buy 2...one to be cooked at once, the other can be cooked at a later date when the price is generally higher...also buy the biggest birds possible, because the meat to bone ration will be better...both chicken and turkey can be prepared in a lot of different ways so the meals won't be the same...

cook and bake from scratch as much as possible...a bread machine is NOT a neccesity...bread was mixed and baked by hand long before the bread machines came into existance...

homemade soups, casseroles,stews are all good ways to stretch food as well as provide a well balanced (nutrition-wise) meal...

either home-grown or farmers market produce are more economical in the long run...frozen veggies are the next best to fresh in most instances...canned foods are higher in sodium and preservatives than fresh or frozen...fresh fruit is a better buy than canned...more nutritious also...some fresh fruit can be frozen for later use in baking,or smoothies.

rice,potatoes,pasta,egg noodles can be fixed different ways...egg noodles can be made from scratch as well.

needless to say, on that tight of a food budget, junkfood such as chips,cookies,candy,soda,etc. would not be included...they don't provide any nutritional value...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 08:11 PM

253 posts, read 557,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERJ-145 View Post
Americans get fat on value-added processed foods, which aren't frugal.
...as well some from good ole southern cookin. It's amazing that many really poor people in the states can be so, to put it nicely...robust

Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
...as well some from good ole southern cookin. It's amazing that many really poor people in the states can be so, to put it nicely...robust
There's a reason for that. There's a town in WV that has the highest obesity rate in the country. It used to be a coal mining town. The families still cook the same foods past down from generation to generation. All of those fattening gravies and sausage meats gave labor workers energy for their long days. They didn't get fat. The population became inactive after the coal mines closed. They continued eating food that kept them healthy when they were active. New generations learned to cook the same meals from their mothers and grandmothers. Poof, they all got fat. Same goes for African American foods. Their ancestors worked hard as slaves so the fatting, cheap cuts of food didn't make them fat. That diet doesn't translate well in today's less active society.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
With the price of gas discustingly rocketing at the pump i expect food to once again rise in price.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I can see that. However that 'floor' would be very low indeed, if you focus only on calorie intake.

Barley or oat porridge is very low priced. I get barley for $5/50-pounds, oats for $3/50-pounds.

The Roman Armies marched on barley porridge as their primary staple. Mix it up with a vegetable serving once a week and a meat serving once a week; and a marching army can conquer nations.
Where do you get the 50 lb bags of barley and oats? Do you get them at Costco or do you have to get them directly from the farmer? Is it possible to find them at a farmers' market?

Here in NYC, my family eats oatmeal often, but we get a 42 oz container (2.625 lbs) for about $2.50 - $3.00 (maybe once a year, it goes on sale to $2 a box). We're not really into going overboard with saving money (but then again, it's a lot cheaper to buy a $3 bag rather than 20 $2 boxes), but it's good to know.

Basically, to the OP, just do the standard: Clip coupons, buy store brands, buy basic staples (rice, beans, oats, etc), and so on. I'm not sure if you can get it down to $150 a month, though. For 4 people, that's $37.50 each, which is only like $1.30 per day.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Where do you get the 50 lb bags of barley and oats? Do you get them at Costco or do you have to get them directly from the farmer? Is it possible to find them at a farmers' market?
I did some searching a few years ago. I found that in one county West of me is a cluster of corn farmers. Where I now go each fall [during harvest] to buy corn. I generally buy a year-worth at a time. For me that runs about 1 1/2 ton of corn.

North of my location is a county where I found barley being farmed, likewise I go there during harvest and I pick up about the same quantity of barley as I do corn.

To the East I found oats, ....

The USDA website:
NASS - Statistics_by_State

Has a lot of cool data to offer. If anyone digs through it, they will find a break down of each state, by county. Showing exactly how much of each crop is produced in each county.

Most states have farm areas where crops are produced.

Locate your closest county that produces X and go there during harvest.

Grain Co-Ops are common in those areas, or else buy directly from farmers.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:04 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
If it is not an economic issue, subjecting two small children to a starvation diet of $150/mo ($5 a day for a family of three) is a neurosis. Call Childrens' Protective Services. If it is an economic issue, send her to the USDA web site.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:20 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
The op should also checkout the food giveaways in her area. We have a few here in yucaipa but you gotta jump through hoops to get free food. Family assistance on ave B is the worse.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

The complementary use of vegetable protein has to be with legumes and/or varied grains and/or seeds and/or nuts because these foods contain the essential building blocks of protein, amino acids, that are completed when they are consumed together. It is no accident that all these sources would have the essential amino acids because they all contain the potentials of life for the new plants as being the seeds of life. Those sources would have more carbs and fats in the grains and legumes which are also necessary for the diet. Perhaps today we can eat less carbs and fats but we cannot get the protein from just other plant parts.
...and if we do this, then there's nothing wrong with that but we will need animal protein too. As I was saying, focusing on grains and legumes produces too high of a carbs/protein ratio to make the little protein that results effective for most people.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:14 PM

607 posts, read 1,216,759 times
This is my first time looking at the frugal forum and this is a really interesting thread. I just buy food for myself and I spend about $150/month on groceries...there are some good tips here on how to cut down on food costs. I can't see how you could make that budget work for a family of 4 but good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living