Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:55 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
When I worked graveyard (hard to sleep daytime) in Vegas years ago, I used to lay at the foot of the bed and watch TV. The "white noise" lulled me to sleep...

In your case, turn it up loud enough to drown out the noisy neighbors but just enough to fall asleep..

Uggh, taking in tv while you're sleeping messes up your subconscious / psyche. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 11:47 PM

495 posts, read 684,515 times
What about women las vegas drunk?Sadly if your not a smooth talker or look like brad pitt dating can get very spendy if your a man.And when you make 8.25 an hour like me, your dating options get reduced to bag lady or crack *****.Sometimes I really hate money and pine for a hunter gatherer sociaty.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:02 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
What about women las vegas drunk?Sadly if your not a smooth talker or look like brad pitt dating can get very spendy if your a man.And when you make 8.25 an hour like me, your dating options get reduced to bag lady or crack *****.Sometimes I really hate money and pine for a hunter gatherer sociaty.

It's just a bigger jungle.

You gather money and hunt deals now...

Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
I'm living on $900/mo and paying more than $400/mo (incl utils) for a room in an old small crowded house with four other people.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:35 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
With our huge aging population, there are any number of seniors, living alone in a house, who would probably welcome some roommate/social company, and if you have any skills which would be of help to them, like cooking or handyman type skills, they might have you under their roofs for little or nothing.

I'm 61, and I've been doing that for years now, being very selective for a tenant, and the last two have been expert handymen, can fix anything in my house at the snap of a finger! And you don't think I appreciate having them around my house!!!!

A month ago, my roof leaked, and my tenant climbed up to the roof and fixed the leak. He even built me a custom-designed 8 foot bookshelf/room divider in my living room, and with that, I told him to skip a month's rent!

I keep the rent dirt cheap, and to show even more appreciation, I share everything I cook with them, if they so desire it!

Now if only these two had had some auto mechanic skills, then, in addition to free rent, I'd be in debt to them!!!

Last edited by tijlover; 12-15-2011 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: change word

Old 12-15-2011, 06:16 AM

304 posts, read 617,220 times
I'm amazed at how so many of you make it on so little. It is inspiriring to hear some of these stories. I have always struggled, but I do make more than minimum wage.

The stupid car payment holds me back, but before that, I had car repairs every month, so who knows...

Old 12-15-2011, 12:44 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm not knocking you for not ditching your TV/internet....but there is a thing called....READING and getting books from the library. I know. It's a lost art. But I thought I'd suggest it.
If I don't have the tv on while I read, I'm unconscious in seconds.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:01 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
I should make time for the library. I just clean house on the weekends and veg. It was much easier to go when I lived closer.

I would hang out with a broke guy. But, how do you meet one? Since we rarely go out because of lack of funds...rather difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living