Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:30 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,379,989 times

Advertisements

Thought since this subject comes up often about cutting cable, people should post their "Alternative TV" finds. I am not talking Netflix, Hulu, Library or OTA antenna. I'm talking what have you found on-line.

As an example. There is a subscription for Acorn TV that you can legally purchase that will give you all the British TV shows. It used to only cost $25 for the year, but now they upped it to $49 a year. But there is good stuff on it. https://signup.acorn.tv/

Then there is a very good documentary channel.
Politics » Documentary Network - Watch free documentaries and films online

Some HGTV Shows online
Full Episodes : On TV : Home & Garden Television

msnbc online
The Rachel Maddow Show on msnbc

PBS online; Watch PBS Online | PBS Video

The Dailey Show: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - Political Comedy - Fake News | Comedy Central

What have you found?

Old 02-09-2014, 07:10 AM

355 posts, read 915,135 times
Or lastest is plain ol' YouTube via Roku. We subscribe to a lot of "channels" and just watch a lot of silly things like "Fail Army" (its like America's Funniest Videos), documentaries like TED Talks. We also have various shows we watch on Hulu.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:22 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,222,005 times
I listed 9 different FREE sites for streaming tv and movies on another thread here, if you look.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:28 PM

I found it. These should give you something to watch, read the whole thread since I think it was was my 3rd post where I listed the sites. https://www.city-data.com/forum/fruga...v-ideas-2.html

Old 02-09-2014, 12:31 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,357,413 times
I would never, ever pay to watch television. I would also never tolerate commercials. I can watch absolutely anything I want here: Last 150 | ChannelCut There are multiple links to every show and if you don't find what you're looking for they even take requests via the chat box.

Enjoy!

Old 02-09-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I would never, ever pay to watch television. I would also never tolerate commercials. I can watch absolutely anything I want here: Last 150 | ChannelCut There are multiple links to every show and if you don't find what you're looking for they even take requests via the chat box.

Enjoy!
Kudos!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Enjoy!
ScamAdvisor gives it a 0 with a red warning. Most of these types of sites plant viruses on your computer and can compromise your information or kill you with constant pop up ads. I think if you use any of these sites, you should do so with a computer used just for this purpose with no other sensitive information on it.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
ScamAdvisor gives it a 0 with a red warning. Most of these types of sites plant viruses on your computer and can compromise your information or kill you with constant pop up ads. I think if you use any of these sites, you should do so with a computer used just for this purpose with no other sensitive information on it.
I have been watching all of my tv on the channelcut site for over 2 years with no issues whatsoever. But I am fortunate to be married to a computer programmer who has our computers set up in such a way that I never have to deal with the nonsense other people apparently experience.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I have been watching all of my tv on the channelcut site for over 2 years with no issues whatsoever. But I am fortunate to be married to a computer programmer who has our computers set up in such a way that I never have to deal with the nonsense other people apparently experience.
Well, that's a real plus. For me, I have little knowledge in this department, so it concerns me. I am beginning to wonder about computer security. It seems the good hacks can get in just about anywhere today. Did you happen to catch any of the news pieces about what was happening to computers and cell phones over in Russia where people are for the Olympics? Very interesting and scary stuff.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Well, that's a real plus. For me, I have little knowledge in this department, so it concerns me. I am beginning to wonder about computer security. It seems the good hacks can get in just about anywhere today. Did you happen to catch any of the news pieces about what was happening to computers and cell phones over in Russia where people are for the Olympics? Very interesting and scary stuff.
The first first and most basic measure everyone should take is to use Firefox with Ad Block Plus instead of Internet Explorer for your web browser. But in general we all need to assume that nothing we do online is secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.