Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty
Another question.....do you have a hard time with the stores accepting internet coupons?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No stores take them in my area.
Suggestion - write a letter to their headquarters (not the store manager) and suggest the chain get into the 21st century
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Suggestion - write a letter to their headquarters (not the store manager) and suggest the chain get into the 21st century
One of the problems with internet coupons is they are (or were) fraught with fraud. And if the retailer doubles the coupon, they are out not just the amount they doubled, they are out the unhonored coupon amount, too, and the handling fee. Considering the whole "extreme" thing isn't a new phenomena, that can add up to a lot of money.

And while manufacturers love the idea of couponers getting a deal and trying their product, they don't like it when their print one internet coupon gets photocopied multiple times and ends up costing them money.... sort of like when coupons are gang cut and show up at one grocery -- these coupons will not be honored by the manufacturer.

A retailer taking coupons is a gift to consumers. And coupon fraud wil screw it up for everyone.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:24 PM

14,459 posts, read 20,637,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Another question.....do you have a hard time with the stores accepting internet coupons?
Harris Teeter has a limit of two internet coupons I think.

I find internet coupons to be last resort.
There are too many ways to get paper coupons.

One of my stores, says if the internet coupon won't scan, they won't accept it, even if it is a perfectly good coupon, not expired, right item, from a nice color printer.

You do not want to get in line with a lot of internet coupons and they won't scan.

What stores will you be going to?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:37 PM

858 posts, read 1,806,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Where does a newspaper cost that much? Around here, the newspapers are $1.50-$2.

Edited to say - and I've bought newspapers in other states when I have visited, and I have never seen a newspaper that costs $3 or $5.
Boston Globe is $3.50 or $4 outside Greater Boston. NYTimes is $5 in NYC and $6 elsewhere.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:15 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Harris Teeter has a limit of two internet coupons I think.

I find internet coupons to be last resort.
There are too many ways to get paper coupons.

One of my stores, says if the internet coupon won't scan, they won't accept it, even if it is a perfectly good coupon, not expired, right item, from a nice color printer.

You do not want to get in line with a lot of internet coupons and they won't scan.

What stores will you be going to?
Thank you for the information.
Out of pure convenience I shop at either Food Lion or Bi-Lo. They are closest to us. I do go into Gastonia to the HT if they are having a really good sale.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:40 PM

14,459 posts, read 20,637,389 times
Quote:
Out of pure convenience I shop at either Food Lion or Bi-Lo. They are closest to us. I do go into Gastonia to the HT if they are having a really good sale.
#1 Bi-Lo, they double coupons up to 99 cents EVERY day.
#2 Harris Teeter does the same and they will be having Super Double coupons in a week or three. (up to $1.98)

#3 and LAST = Food Lion, they do not double coupons at all.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:36 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,489 times
Quote:
FL around here spilts the BOGO sale prices. Which is nice because can buy one of something and get the sale price AND you can use two coupons on a BOGO sale

Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
#1 Bi-Lo, they double coupons up to 99 cents EVERY day.
#2 Harris Teeter does the same and they will be having Super Double coupons in a week or three. (up to $1.98)

#3 and LAST = Food Lion, they do not double coupons at all.
I really do like Bi-Lo and the only reason I don't do 100% of my shopping there is the meat counter. I do not buy any meat that is from mexico.
If it wasn't for that I would do all my shopping there.

I do on occasion stop in Aldi for some things, they have good prices on things like baking chocolate, nuts etc....

I have always wondered why FL doesn't double coupons?

Old 08-04-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
FL around here spilts the BOGO sale prices. Which is nice because can buy one of something and get the sale price AND you can use two coupons on a BOGO sale

The FL closest to me, isn't consistent on that. I have to really watch things as they get rung up.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:58 AM

484 posts, read 1,944,240 times
The coupons are one of the few good things about my local paper.

Of the 3 big grocery chains in my area, Price Chopper and Hannaford accept internet coupons. They have to have a bar code, dollar amount (no free items) and expiration date. Every now and then, the registers will have flyers with examples of fake coupons, like the $200 Ipod coupon that recently surfaced at Wal*Mart. I don't shop at Shaw's (too expensive), so I don't know their policy.

Price Chopper has higher prices overall, but the loyalty card can slash prices considerably, and they double coupons up to 99 cents (it was $2 until last month). They loyalty card also gets you a gas discount at Sunoco (10 cents per gallon for ever $50 you spend, after coupons, up to 20 gallons per fill-up). Hannaford has lower prices overall, especially on ice cream and frozen food, but no double coupons. Shaw's has a loyalty card, double coupons, very high prices, and a good selection of ethnic foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living