Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 AM

6,587 posts, read 17,641,061 times

Advertisements

Money makeover: A millionaire who constantly worries about retirement - latimes.com

Frugality taken to an extreme?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 10:53 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,060,755 times
$80K to teach?! Wow, I went wrong somewhere.

Anyway, I think he is OCD in the true sense of the word.

And his frugality sure makes ME nervous!

Old 04-03-2011, 03:33 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,261,120 times
Just a leetle compulsive...poor guy, no wonder his marriage ended due to his obsession. He needs a psychologist, not a financial planner.

And if all he eats are microwave burritos and fast-food dollar-menu items, he may not make it to retirement anyway. Even if he does eat a grape once in a while....

He had never eaten a grape in his life.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:23 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,053,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Just a leetle compulsive...poor guy, no wonder his marriage ended due to his obsession. He needs a psychologist, not a financial planner.

And if all he eats are microwave burritos and fast-food dollar-menu items, he may not make it to retirement anyway. Even if he does eat a grape once in a while....

He had never eaten a grape in his life.
Food is fuel for the body and should be eaten for nutrition to be healthy. What he is eating is going to cause health issues which will end up costing him more later, i.e., diabetes, heart disease, etc.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:19 AM

168 posts, read 553,452 times
i have seem documentaries about these type of people. they will save a large nest egg but will never get to the lifestyle of enjoying it. They get stuck in the same mind set. A therapist may help but never erase the life long habits.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 AM

858 posts, read 1,825,148 times
Poor guy, the only thing he has is money.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:21 AM

16,952 posts, read 16,900,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
What's MORE scarey than his extreme frugality, is the fact that he tells you his entire name, what city he lives in, how much is in his savings and checking account, that he is a school teacher, that he rides a motorcycle...

This guy could find himself penniless if a con artist seeks him out...

He does have a spending phobia that's for sure.

But why he seeks to tell the world his full identity and his bank balance I will never know....

Old 04-13-2011, 02:47 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,422,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
What's MORE scarey than his extreme frugality, is the fact that he tells you his entire name, what city he lives in, how much is in his savings and checking account, that he is a school teacher, that he rides a motorcycle...

This guy could find himself penniless if a con artist seeks him out...

He does have a spending phobia that's for sure.

But why he seeks to tell the world his full identity and his bank balance I will never know....
The LA Times has been doing these interview/article/makeovers for decades, and I've never heard of anyone being the target for a crime because of it? If it ever happened, I'm sure it would make the news!

And if you think about it, a con artist could just walk down a street in a wealthy area on trash day, and pluck bank statements out of trash cans, and actually have more information on a potential victim - they'd have the actual account number, as well as the balances.

I think it's good to be smart about protecting yourself, but I don't think he's in any real danger.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:36 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,294,712 times
Good for him. He is probably a Millionaire because he is so careful about money. We should learn something from this guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living