Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,296,429 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that "easily readable" garage sale signs lead to sales which have better quality things for sale.

And dumb "can't read them" garage sale signs lead to sales with lower quality stuff - a bunch of junk.

For example, when driving by a sign, the lettering needs to be BIG so people driving by can read it. And the faster the speed limit, the larger the lettering needs to be. (Stop by a city/state road sign and see how big the lettering on the sign actually is.)

And you can only read about 7 words or less when driving by a sign.

Also people do not necessarily know where "such and so" street is or how to get there.

So the easy to read signs will have very large lettering, just say "YARD SALE", and have an arrow pointing the way. Then there will be additional signs along the way to guide people to the sale. And a sign in front of where the sale is (YARD SALE HERE).

The "dumb" signs are on 8 1/2 by 11 sheets of paper, the writing is too small to read, sometimes 30 or more words to read, and no directions on which way to turn or how to get there - no arrow.

My thinking: Perhaps the people who are intelligent enough to make good signs are also intelligent enough to get a good paying job (or manage their finances well), and therefore have better quality things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 AM

22,610 posts, read 47,726,078 times
I see no correlation between signmaking and garage sale quality.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:00 AM

505 posts, read 717,051 times
I've thought the bigger the sign the smaller the sale.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,176,836 times
[quote=Billy_J;26413527]I've noticed that "easily readable" garage sale signs lead to sales which have better quality things for sale.

And dumb "can't read them" garage sale signs lead to sales with lower quality stuff - a bunch of junk.

For example, when driving by a sign, the lettering needs to be BIG so people driving by can read it. And the faster the speed limit, the larger the lettering needs to be. (Stop by a city/state road sign and see how big the lettering on the sign actually is.)

And you can only read about 7 words or less when driving by a sign.

Also people do not necessarily know where "such and so" street is or how to get there.

So the easy to read signs will have very large lettering, just say "YARD SALE", and have an arrow pointing the way. Then there will be additional signs along the way to guide people to the sale. And a sign in front of where the sale is (YARD SALE HERE).

The "dumb" signs are on 8 1/2 by 11 sheets of paper, the writing is too small to read, sometimes 30 or more words to read, and no directions on which way to turn or how to get there - no arrow.

My thinking: Perhaps the people who are intelligent enough to make good signs are also intelligent enough to get a good paying job (or manage their finances well), and therefore have better quality things?[/quote]

I think that there is some truth to this.

The way that some people make garage sale signs I'm surprised that anyone finds the sale. It was like the time that our three or four year old son decided to "sell some rocks". He asked us to make a sign which he put up inside our livingroom door and then was a little disappointed when no one showed up to look at and buy the rocks.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 PM

607 posts, read 1,403,848 times
Interesting theory, BUT maybe the sign poster will also not be particularly on top of things as far as pricing goes - to your advantage, of course.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:17 PM

171 posts, read 416,534 times
I've noticed this too!

I always thought it was more, if a person cared enough to make a good sign, they had some sense of what makes a good garage sale and would have better stuff, more neatly laid out and their yard not looking a mess.

More like they were more acqainted with yard sale etiquette than anything.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 PM

41,984 posts, read 75,262,058 times
I don't think so.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:38 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,836,888 times
I always hope to stumble on to the great sale with the crappy sign.

Pickings spread between fewer buyers....

Old 10-09-2012, 06:29 AM

22,610 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf131 View Post
I always thought it was more, if a person cared enough to make a good sign, they had some sense of what makes a good garage sale and would have better stuff, more neatly laid out and their yard not looking a mess.
I have great handwriting skills and good sense of white space. If I am making the sign, it will look infinitely better than my husband's scrawl across some poster board.

I would probably even do balloons at the mailbox. He would not.

But the stuff we are selling and how it's presented would be exactly the same.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:45 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,398,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf131 View Post
I've noticed this too!

More like they were more acqainted with yard sale etiquette than anything.
Well, we've always had "nice" signs - usu. yellow posterboard (1/2 sheet per sign), I letter them using black poster paint and put a nice arrow, I also think about where they will be placed and put (I usu, get some nice wooden stakes) beforehand. Our stuff is nicely laid out, well priced, and we go to the bank the day prior to get plenty of singles , etc... We spend a fair amount of time planning our sales, usu in conjunction with a major move. I always thin better signs = more serious about selling stuff = better prices and better stuff...

Except if the sign is "too nice" - we had a few people who have perpetual yard sales in our old neighborhood - they had really nice signs (painted on plywood) but dumpster dived stuff for sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living