Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:08 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Well, yeah. If that's how you use your phone, then it isn't all that economical. I use my phone maybe once a week, but under this plan, I now can reply to texts, check voice mail, AND make a call for one price. Works out to $8 - $10 a month for me.
This sounds like the cheapest plan, especially if like you and I, only use the phone a few times a month. Thanks for this information! I'm dropping my $75.00/month Sprint account today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 07:23 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Again, not (necessarily) true. Tracfone uses a variety of networks, and the network a subscriber is on depends on the geo area for the subscriber's home base and the cell phone they have (CDMA versus GSM). In my area, my Tracfone service is on the AT&T network. Tracfone has contracts with all the major cell network providers (Sprint, AT&T, VZ, etc) and they piggyback on all different carrier lines, depending on location and service and what they've negotiated.
Lottamoxie is correct.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:11 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
I changed over to the GoPhone/AT&T plan. Paying for the $100 prepaid plan that is good for a year, I get 400 minutes which has been adequate for both my wife and I. We use the phone primarily for emergencies.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:35 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,649,855 times
Just an FYI, but had you gone with Tracfone, that $100 would have gotten you about 800 - 1,000 minutes, depending on promo, along with 'double minutes for life of the phone.'

Old 12-21-2010, 05:18 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Just an FYI, but had you gone with Tracfone, that $100 would have gotten you about 800 - 1,000 minutes, depending on promo, along with 'double minutes for life of the phone.'
Well, I already had a top of the line AT&T phone and knew they had good coverage in my area and everywhere I usually traveled. Extra minutes don't do me much good if they don't have coverage in my area.

I tried looking up the Tracphone coverage map for my zip code about 7 times on their website and it failed every time. Not very promising.

Checking for reviews of their service I found this http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/...-32959473.html Only 2.5 stars out of 5, with 114 reviews. Again not very promising.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:39 AM

33 posts, read 71,318 times
Walmart family mobile is a good choice for a big family,$45 for the first line and $25 for any extra line up to 4 lines per account.
unlimited talk + text, the deal breaker is no unlimited data.
i average $117 (after taxes) a month for three lines plus $8 for data,that is $125 a month for three lines which breaks to about $42 a month per line but no unlimited data,have to go easy on data,i buy a $40 data pack and get 1000mb which i break to 200mb month.so i believe straight talk or any other prepaid with everything unlimited should be a better deal,.....

The good thing to walmart family mobile over straight talk or any other prepaid is that you can use any t-mobile or unlocked gsm phone.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,740,783 times
I don't think anyone can beat PagePlus. They use Verizons network, but it's way cheaper. I spend $80 for 2000 mins, which rolls over for 4 months. I am spending about $25/mo and I use my phone daily and text. Google "pageplus" to find their site and look for a dealer.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I go prepaid (Tracfone), but I'm a VERY infrequent mobile phone user (mostly talk from home on VOIP, and cell is really only for road trips/emergencies). It wouldn't be the best deal for somebody who uses their phone more typically. However, prepaid serves my purposes for dirt cheap.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:01 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
I recently switched from Sprint with Crackberry and data plan (I'm a heavy cell phone user, I run a business and it's also my only phone) to Metro PCS. They have an unlimited data/web/text/minutes plan for $40 a month total, no add-ons, just $40.00. I do pay an extra $10 a month for unlimited GPS because I use it a ton.

No contract, either. I paid $49 for a decent "device" and the first months payment to get started. ALSO if you are late paying your bill, they will shut your phone of toot sweet but turn it back on once you pay the monthly, no late fees. (So they tell me, I haven't been late paying.)

Old 01-05-2011, 02:08 AM

654 posts, read 1,322,543 times
For anyone who needs more than a prepaid plan, consider trying to find someone willing to transfer their Sprint SERO plan to you. You can't sign up for SERO anymore (not the original version), but if you find someone willing to transfer it to you it's grandfathered indefinitely.

Here's my plan - $30 a month:
500 anytime minutes
Unlimited PCS to PCS (any Sprint or Nextel customer)
Unlimited nights/weekends beginning @ 6 PM
1000 text/mo
Unlimited picture mail
Unlimited data
Roaming is included - but Sprint will step in if abused - I haven't had a problem

My girlfriend has almost the same plan but her nights/weekends start @ 7 PM & she has unlimited text (how I'd ever use more than 1000 in a month is beyond me ...)

When all is said & done, I generally use 300-400 anytime minutes in a month & about 2000-3000 minutes overall! Since I have friends/family on Sprint/Nextel, it helps - also great to have 6 PM nights & weekends. The unlimited data is a key part of my plan, sometimes I use less, other times a lot. I have an HTC Touch Pro 2 (Windoze mobile, so not perfect, but works generally well & much cheaper than iPhone or HTC Evo). HTC Touch Pro2 Review (Sprint) - Smartphones - CNET Reviews The slide-out/tilt keyboard has made a HUGE difference, lots more than I expected - easy to text, e-mail & web surf. I check six e-mail accounts daily & surf on the web more than I expected - the screen's quite nice & it's a pretty good smartphone.

Now, the not so good - although service (reception) is generally good, when I do have a problem Sprint customer service is horrible. They keep claiming they've improved, but I'll believe it when I see (hear) it - everyone seems to be reading from a manual when I call in, so I'm thankful problems are infrequent. Additionally, I write down every transaction/interaction with Sprint documenting CSR name, date & time. Sprint has a convenient way of 'losing' information when you don't get that credit/discount you were promised - this has happened for years, so I've learned to keep copious records. Sad but true.

When all is said & done, I won't be switching anytime soon. I know the devil I'm dealing with & can handle the odd problem. Mostly I can troubleshoot the occasional issue myself. Can you tell I have a love/hate relationship with Sprint? As long as the basics work well, $30/mo for tons of usage is just too hard to pass up. The unlimited data alone would double or triple my bill on another plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living