Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 PM

318 posts, read 870,153 times

Advertisements

But here's a source supporting your [correct] claim: at least as of late July '10, AT&T/Walmart announced Straight Talk would expand from Verizon and include AT&T.

Walmart To Expand Straight Talk Phone Offerings To Include AT&T « The Blade by Ron Schenone, MVP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 09:06 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,769 times
I have a Cricket phone. Its $30 a month (plus taxes- about $6) for unlimited talk. If you want to text also its $40 a month but then you also get unlimited internet for that same amount. Well except its limited what internet you can get on the phone...mainly just Facebook & MySpace.

I did have some problems with it moving from city to edge of the countryside and don't get good reception inside my home now. For reasons I don't understand if it rains or a couple days after a rain it doesn't get as good of service. But cheaper than regular cell plans.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:31 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
i have sprint, something like 400 anytime minutes, unlimited nights / weekends, 'unlimited' data [actually 5 gigabytes] and texts, for $69/month plus the inevitable pile-on fees. it works for me since i tether the phone to my laptop for all my internet use- not blazing fast but good enough for what i need it for.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:33 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
I have GoPhone/ATT, and spend $25/mos. Have to limit calls and length of calls, as it can add up quickly otherwise. I think you are charged if someone else calls on your cell phone too.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:44 PM

7 posts, read 13,576 times
Wink thanks for the text advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You can always email texts if you have a computer, phonenumber@vtext.com for verizon, among others. When they reply it comes right back to your email.

Also you can use Google's Voice/Grand Central web interface, they give you a (free) phone number and you can use that to send texts as well. You can also have it forward to your cell phone. It's pretty neat. I use the Google Voice app for Android to send/receive free texts so I don't have to pay Verizon.
I hate texting on my phone using a 10-digit keypad but its the only way to contact my sister since she never answers her phone. I will try that website since its so much easier to type! thanks so much!
as to the OP, I researched carefully and considered my personal uses/ needs. since I dont text, my situation may not work for someone who texts.
I got a prepaid t-mobile at the rate of .10/min. (at least that was the offer). I had to buy (another) cell phone (what do you do with old cells that you had on contract? what a waste). it came with a few minutes to start but (being frugal) I held off to load it until I needed to use it. My phone # expired and I had to replace the SIM card, which was a hassle (had to drive to Spokane for authorized shop) and it cost $10. but t-mobile gave me 3 monthly credits of $15 each. nice bonus!
I purchased a $100 prepaid card that is valid for a year but it only costs $93 (deals vary, as cheap as $91) from a discount web site www.callingmart.com that offers discounts on prepaid cards. this in conjuction with a coupon code from another website www.retailmenot.com/view/callingmart.com .
after the original $100 card is loaded, a 15% bonus minutes are added to additional cards. also any card purchased after this will extend your min. (roll-over) for an entire year (most plans require loading more time every month or two -expensive+hassle).
I dont use it much, but it was a lifesaver when I had to go to reno when Dad had heart attack. this month I paid $47 that extended those unused minutes another year plus added lots more. but texts run 1min/page (ie- about 1 sentence) plus charged 1 min. to receive a text.
I wont use verizon at all (had $40+tax/mo. plan for 450 min. with unlimited weekends) because they screwed over retirees when sold landline business to frontier. so even when shopping for prepaid, they wont get a dime from me.
now, my Mom and her hubby got net 10 and love it but having to reload every 2 months, it costs her $180/year.
I cant find my t-mobile (after I cancelled frontier landline) so I had to get another cell and went with the $2/day unlimited use AT&T already mentioned. I use it once to 3x/week and can offset with the t-mobile (once I find it, probably fell behind bed, etc.). I will use t-mobile for brief calls/emergency/pesky appointment reminders and at&t for full day of long calls to friends & family. its a balancing act that will run me about less than $100/year. frugal power!
but do your research, looking for what is best for your circumstances and plunge in. be prepared for strong-arming from well meaning friends that are convinced that their solution is best for everybody! (like Mom does me, but then, she's Mom).
so, perhaps this will help someone who is looking for the same as what I needed. but I dont get a kick-back from t-mobile, at&t, callingmart, or retail me not. so take what you can use and leave the rest. happy hunting!

Last edited by ema_id; 11-13-2010 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: note on text charges

Old 11-13-2010, 06:19 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
Quote:
what do you do with old cells that you had on contract? what a waste
You can donate old cell phones. Women's shelters need them as they refurb and give them to women who are in at-risk situations.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,769 times
Does anyone have Magic Jack? I don't totally understand how it works but at first sight it appears it could be a cheap solution for a phone. Or if you have a very limited low cost cell plan that you use for emergencies only Magic Jack maybe could be a good backup phone for long calls or for when you can't get cell reception inside your home.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:19 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Well, yeah. If that's how you use your phone, then it isn't all that economical. I use my phone maybe once a week, but under this plan, I now can reply to texts, check voice mail, AND make a call for one price. Works out to $8 - $10 a month for me.
Me too, Virgin Mobil for $6.99 a month plus calls.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:29 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
Quote:
Does anyone have Magic Jack?
I used M.J when they first launched, though I'm not using them at the moment. It's a VOIP service. Very inexpensive. I will probably switch to it next year when my current VOIP contract is up, as M.J. about 15% of the cost I'm paying now. And, I still have the adapter, so all I need to do is pay the $40 service fee for a year of service.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:11 AM

792 posts, read 1,176,512 times
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I dropped Verizon. Paying $69 for 950 minutes of talk only is a joke.
I now have StraightTalk.
It's pay as you go, (no contracts) $45 a month for unlimited everything! Text, calls and web.
It's excellent and much cheaper...with no dropped calls
[/FONT].
Woo Hoo, I'm uptown now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living