Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:33 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmom View Post
I scored really big at Salvation Army today. Because the "white tagged" clothes were 99 cents and the "pink tagged" clothes were half price, I walked out with 7 items for $20. These included an almost new pair of perfectly fitting Lord and Taylor brand pants, a Chico's shirt, Bill Blass slacks, and a gorgeous sweater (can't remember the label...but it was gorgeous and well made). I did the same thing on Veteran's Day when Savers had their half price sale. I would NEVER be able to afford Chico's and Lord and Taylor full price. These prices are much cheaper than our local consignment shop that often prices items at the same price as a Marshall's.
SCORE!!!!! Great job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 09:11 AM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Have you tried E-bay? I've found some deals on there too.

I've lucked into this thrift store here because they have clothes up to 4X sometimes. It doesn't hurt to check out thrift stores because new (well used) clothes come in every day.
Haven't been lucky with E-bay on clothes, but I'm always scanning the items. Fortunately I'm doing good with what I bought at the closeout sale with that store. A Goodwill superstore has opened up in my area so I check there periodically. Am kinda hard on jeans, that's on my next shopping trip (I wear 42" length), and when I go to Denver I have a few tall men shops I can go to.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:34 AM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Yup, I can see how that could make shopping difficult! Have you tried the Big & Tall Men's shop at One Stop Plus.com? I know there are lots of great prices on the women's clothes at One Stop Plus, and thought it might be worth checking into, see if they have stuff for you.
I wasn't aware of them but I pulled up that site last night and I liked what I saw. Their prices on Levi's are high but I'm not happy with them anyway, the Wrangler "loose fits" are priced fairly though. I might give this place a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:42 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I just purchased a nice long mans winter coat for myself , I cant wear womens long wool coats because I have very broad shoulders and the womens coats dont fit right at all and i got the coat for 10.00 . You cannot touch a long wool coat for under 100 new . This one looks practically new . I also purchased some two piece suits business attire for 2.99 each . One was Lord and Taylor and i definately could not pass that up LOL !!!I also do my own dry cleaning with the dryel kit which is a heck of a lot cheaper than dry cleaning at a shop . LOL !!!

Old 12-04-2010, 12:32 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I just purchased a nice long mans winter coat for myself , I cant wear womens long wool coats because I have very broad shoulders and the womens coats dont fit right at all and i got the coat for 10.00 . You cannot touch a long wool coat for under 100 new . This one looks practically new . I also purchased some two piece suits business attire for 2.99 each . One was Lord and Taylor and i definately could not pass that up LOL !!!I also do my own dry cleaning with the dryel kit which is a heck of a lot cheaper than dry cleaning at a shop . LOL !!!
Where did you get a coat for $10.00? That's a good deal.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:40 AM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
I love frugal shopping and I like people who do it. Snooty falooty people pay retail (IMO) . I'm always looking for ways to save money on clothing. I use coupons and enjoy those little gift cards that come in the mail for 10 dollars off with a 10 dollar purchase. I pick up a couple of clearance items and with the card, end up paying less than two bucks for a really nice top or pants. I've purchased leather purses from the clearance table and with the card, walked away, spending five dollar on a 40 dollar purse.

I have a long dark blue wool coat from the 1940's. It belonged to my dad. He gave it to me a few weeks before he died in 2008. He remembered me saying to him back in the early 80's how much I liked it. I never thought he'd remember that but he did. It's in mint condition and I absolutely love it. Doesn't matter that the buttons are on the opposite side as a woman's coat because no one notices anyway. I drape a knitted scarf around the neck and have a beautiful pin I wear on the lapel. I wouldn't trade it for a new woman's coat, if I could. I'm pretty sure if I tried to buy it today it would cost me over 300 but who cares? It was Dad's and to me it's worth a million. It's the last coat I'll ever own.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:39 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
...snipped...
For working in the yard or going to a part of town where I don't want to stand out, I'll wear something I bought from Walmart's cheap-o, disposable Puritan clothes rack.
I know WalMart can be elcheapo but I do have to say that I bought my DH and myself the Puritan brand shorts and 3-4 years later, I am still washing and they just get better. It was a good sturdy twill. Now they have switched to George and that is a piece of crap construction wise and fabric wise. The Puritan shirts really washed up and have held up well. I send his shirts to the laundry and I have been pleased with the fabric. The cut is a little skimpy.

Pants were the same. He wore a semi dress pant and I just wash them and hang and he is good to go. I send them to the cleaners about every 4th wash for a pressing and creasing.
We are in a professional business, self employed. We don't do suit and ties anymore but we still have to dress nice semi casual.

We have done Van Huesen shirts(?), Haggar slacks. He has a Hickey Freeman suit, etc, etc.

We just do what works for us. I will say we wont go with the George brand rather than Puritan. It is really bad plus, they are not carrying some of the larger sizes anymore.

I will never buy used shoes again. I caught that foot and nail fungus and doggone near killed my liver trying to get rid of it.......never again. I have had good luck sometimes at KMart with the Thom McAn (?) shoes. Not my dressy, dressy shoes but well constructed with some padding in the sole.

And. I buy undergarmets out of discount catalogs or at good old WalMart. No one sees them and they fit okay. I was in Macys the other night and they had underpants @ $7.00 a pr. No way.

Also, now before I wear anything or use it in anyway (towels, sheets, etc) I wash it first. I talked with a person at WM and then later with others in the know and they said they had seen some really bad stuff going on with the clothes in manufacturing and in the stores......it works for me.

To be honest, I have gotten heavy and I am older and I have long since given up trying to be a fashion plate. I do not spend near what I did when I was younger on clothes, though I still will spend more on good quality shoes. I was raised by a seamstress and former fabric store owner and I was taught about quality in fabric and construction....I can't afford what I would not have settled for 20 years ago. Plus the quality is just not there, even in some high end stuff.

Don't know whether any of this made any sense. I just started rambling and didn't know when to quit... I'm old. It's allowed.

eta: WM dropped the Puritan brand is now doing George.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:05 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Too much to read through - but - bottom line: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wash clothing before you wear it.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Too much to read through - but - bottom line: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wash clothing before you wear it.

New and used! Yep.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:59 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by follie View Post
Goodwill, my sewing machine, and major sales. That's all I can do. Being a nonstandard size, it's hard to find things easily and cheaply, but I love the hunt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I go to the Goodwill store in the rich part of the city. Otherwise, I go to Macys
Wow - other people that shop Goodwill. Don't need to, but like to salvage nice clothers and put them to use. I get Dockers, Nautica, IZOD/LaCoste stuff all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living