Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:20 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times

Advertisements

For men and women who need up-to-date, quality business attire: Go to the best large department/specialty store near you. (Macy's, Saks, Bloomingdale's, Lord & Taylor, Dillard's, Von Mauer, etc.). Find out which sales clerk in your preferred department is the full-time sales associate or department lead. There is usually one or two in every area, with the rest of the employees being part-time who basically just ring up sales and do stock work (so sorry to say, but it's the way of the retail world today). Just be nice and chat up the associates -- someone will tell you. When you determine who it is, formally introduce yourself. Say you're interested in becoming a regular customer and would like to have help from a consistent source. Give the person your contact information and ask them to give you a heads-up you when the genuine sales are taking place (these stores CLAIM they have sales every week) and ask to get on the list for coupons and special discounts. Tell the associate what you like/need in your wardrobe. Then make sure when you DO shop, that this person who helps you is the one who actually rings the sale.

Even though these people are rarely on commission (shoe sales staff still are in most stores), their sales are tracked and they need good customers. If they're at all worth their salt, they'll work with you to get you exactly what you need and get you the best price. When I was in that position, I worked hard for my regular customers. I kept a computer file with their info, preferences, etc. I set things aside for people, called branch stores to get special sizes, sought out appropriate accessories for them, and gave my customers every possible discount whether or not they asked for it. I helped them shop for gifts. You can get this kind of service if you hook up with a competent, ambitious sales associate. And pretty soon you'll be getting $200 this-season suits for $60.

And, for heaven's sake, invite your associate to be honest, then listen when they tell you what looks good on you and fits properly. Some of these stores even have on-site tailoring. Take advantage of that. If you want to look great, a retail insider can and will help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 12:20 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Too much to read through - but - bottom line: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wash clothing before you wear it.
Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living