Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 AM

176 posts, read 584,561 times

Advertisements

I would like some discussion as to the shopping strategies used by rural singles, who could well have significantly different shopping strategies than urban families for two reasons:
1. As a single you buy smaller quantities (saving 20% of a $50 grocery bill is $10, while saving 20% of a $150 grocery bill is $30).
2. Few shopping alternatives locally, and significant costs for travel for lower cost alternatives (for example I have a small higher priced grocery 9 miles away, a Walmart 30 miles away, a small metropolitan shopping area 50 miles away, a larger metropolitan area 70 miles away).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 08:22 PM

483 posts, read 556,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
I would like some discussion as to the shopping strategies used by rural singles, who could well have significantly different shopping strategies than urban families for two reasons:
1. As a single you buy smaller quantities (saving 20% of a $50 grocery bill is $10, while saving 20% of a $150 grocery bill is $30).
2. Few shopping alternatives locally, and significant costs for travel for lower cost alternatives (for example I have a small higher priced grocery 9 miles away, a Walmart 30 miles away, a small metropolitan shopping area 50 miles away, a larger metropolitan area 70 miles away).

Thanks.
Geez, you are rural. Can you see Russia from your back yard?

Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 PM

15,131 posts, read 32,375,941 times
Put an ice chest in your car and go to the shopping areas that are further away. Stay over the weekend, do all your shopping at that time, and buy the perishables last.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 PM

23,617 posts, read 70,539,170 times
We use a cooler in the van all the time. Shopping for a single person should yield even more savings than shopping for two or more, since there is no guesswork involved . Our shopping is at least 20 miles away, in four different directions. The big saver is a freezer. We still have a 40 cent per pound turkey in it from Thanksgiving, and some fish that was on sale for about $1.20/ lb. and hamburger for $1.40/lb.. We're trying to clear space for greens from the garden and broccoli when it comes up.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:33 PM

I have a freezer on my wish list. That means when I get rehired by the feds, I can buy it.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,827,438 times
If you are going really far, buy the frozen items and get a bag of ICE to put in with them in the cooler. You might have it left when you get home... the little it costs to ensure safe food is worth it.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:36 PM

967 posts, read 2,613,317 times
Yes, bring a cooler (I do now in the suburbs...old habit). We'd freeze a 1/2 jug or a 2L bottle for ice, and it stayed frozen a lot longer than a bag of cubes. Less mess too. And freee/reusable.

Also try not to make a special trip to town, but rather, get things when you are there.

I grew up in a tiny town of 400. Our grocer was more like a convience mart. We used it for the "oops, out of milk" The next big city was 80 miles away. That was also where the dr office, dentist, etc... were too. We'd find ourselves in the city at least 2-3 times a month for some odd thing. So we'd get groceries while already in town. Gas too. I don't recall ever making a special trip.

At home we'd keep an ongoing list on the fridge of what we were running low on, so it didn't take much thought... just grab the list on the way to town.

My dad in his old age has got smart. Instead of a cooler, he keeps a chest freezer on a pallet. When he leaves for groceries he lifts it in his truck with his forklift. When he comes home, he brings it out of the truck with the forklift and plugs it back into the wall in the shed. No need to unload

Old 04-08-2010, 04:35 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,983,039 times
I'm single and I've NEVER spent more than $40 a week. I'm not driving 70 miles each way to save $6, that is just dumb. What the hell are you eating?

Old 04-08-2010, 07:20 PM

It's called "stocking up." What do you eat for $40 a week? I'm single, and do a big shopping once a month. I cook, and very rarely eat out. I always use coupons when I shop, from the Sunday paper and printed out from the internet coupon sites.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:36 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,038,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Yes, bring a cooler (I do now in the suburbs...old habit). We'd freeze a 1/2 jug or a 2L bottle for ice, and it stayed frozen a lot longer than a bag of cubes. Less mess too. And freee/reusable.

Also try not to make a special trip to town, but rather, get things when you are there.

I grew up in a tiny town of 400. Our grocer was more like a convience mart. We used it for the "oops, out of milk" The next big city was 80 miles away. That was also where the dr office, dentist, etc... were too. We'd find ourselves in the city at least 2-3 times a month for some odd thing. So we'd get groceries while already in town. Gas too. I don't recall ever making a special trip.

At home we'd keep an ongoing list on the fridge of what we were running low on, so it didn't take much thought... just grab the list on the way to town.

My dad in his old age has got smart. Instead of a cooler, he keeps a chest freezer on a pallet. When he leaves for groceries he lifts it in his truck with his forklift. When he comes home, he brings it out of the truck with the forklift and plugs it back into the wall in the shed. No need to unload
Not everyone has a forklift, but that's about the best idea I've ever heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living